232's state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 232's state

Is it just at Reno without a working engine? That makes me somewhat hopeful that it will race again eventually. I assume the prop is still good so if someone wanted to just throw a stock 3350 in her it could technically still race yes? I feel like this is a lot better than structural damage like 2013... Just a thought
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: 232's state

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Is it just at Reno without a working engine? That makes me somewhat hopeful that it will race again eventually. I assume the prop is still good so if someone wanted to just throw a stock 3350 in her it could technically still race yes? I feel like this is a lot better than structural damage like 2013... Just a thought
    No engine, airframe still covered in oil. The boiler and other systems were never pickled, so there will most likely be a lot of corrosion issues to fix as well. It will need a lot of work to get flying again.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      No engine, airframe still covered in oil. The boiler and other systems were never pickled, so there will most likely be a lot of corrosion issues to fix as well. It will need a lot of work to get flying again.
      I don't get it. Why not pickle the airplane? Why would the owner let a perfectly good, and very expensive, racer just rot away? Corrosion is a plane's worst enemy. As stated above, it will take a lot of work (and money) to get it flying again. Even if the owner just wants to sell it, the airframe would be a lot more attractive if it were properly preserved.

Comment

Info I have is boiloff system was drained/flushed and race fuel was removed.

Comment

Wonder why Brown didn't buy it?
          Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
            Who would he get to crew it? Every bridge was burned on the way out of town last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              Who would he get to crew it? Every bridge was burned on the way out of town last time.
              I would guess his planned crew for Risky Business would be able to do it??
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                Well, unless N35FF shows up with a turtle deck and more mods than Voodoo, Brown will now have a racer that also doubles as a sport plane. Makes sense.

T J

Comment

I would guess his planned crew for Risky Business would be able to do it??
                  Big difference in crewing for a stock airplane and something like 232.

Comment

No way Brown plans on bringing her stock..
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

An even bigger difference there is between crewing a Radial engined Sea Fury and h20 cooled Mustang. Almost night and day is this difference.

Comment

No way Brown plans on bringing her stock..
                        Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                          Why not?
                          Yeah, why not?

Comment

Well what I've heard is that Brown didn't go to PRS because his plane won't be ready. I don't see why it would be taking this long to make a perfectly stock airplane even more stock, unless he really isn't trying to get it done on a dead line. I know he wasn't happy with the restoration I heard all of that but I don't think it would be taking him this long to fix whatever it is he didn't like. And Brown doesn't seem like the type to buy one of the cheapest mustangs on the market just to keep stock and race it stock at Reno. It doesn't add up to me I feel like he has the intent of making it a racer, maybe not Voodoo/ Strega stasus but more like Miss A, or RR3 a few years back. Maybe that's just me being hopeful but after seeing what he's done with 232, I don't think he's the type to be satisfied fielding a stock aircraft...
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Can anyone shed some light on why he (MB) may not be the most popular guy amongst the participants? It seems kind of odd in the tiny world of air racing. Certainly not unheard of, just not the norm in this day and age. Or so it seems.
                              Last edited by Fence Sence; 07-07-2015, 08:17 AM.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                              X