Will Dago Rise Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Dago Rise Again?

just saw on facebook that someone posted they heard Steve Hinton Jr Visited Dago Red Recently And Stated That She May Return To Racing Form Soon. All I can Say is and

Re: Will Dago Rise Again?

Steve has been researching some of the mods that Bruce Lockwood and the MOF crew did on Dago. He is quite serious about this Voodoo project going on down in Chino...

Neal

Comment

What does "visiting" consist of? Looking at it in pieces seeing where to improve Voodoo? I crave some more info!! Thanks for stirring up the pot!
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Well, one thing he's looking for is photos of the INSIDE of the exit from the doghouse. Anybody here have any detailed photos from the rear looking in past the exit door? Does Mike Meek still come around here??

Neal

Comment

Well some one might be concerned about Strega after last year, what's your take on that?

Don

Comment

My take? I wasn't even there, LOL. I didn't see anything on TV to show me that Strega was much if any faster than Voodoo on that Saturday. When Bill caught Steve Strega was at over 100% and going downhill, and Voodoo was running to a Saturday program. Voodoo was much better piloted, though.

With Kerch, Steve, and Mike Wilton Voodoo has become a very fast and reliable Racer. I hope they don't screw it up. I have a lot of confidence in this brain trust that Mr. Button has assembled, but they seem to be making quite a few big changes. There's no way to really test this stuff except by going Reno and racing.

It's gonna be fun to watch. I hope Strega turns up, and turns up strong. I hope the same for the Bear. We'll see...

Neal
            Last edited by wingman; 06-17-2015, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
              My take? I wasn't even there, LOL. I didn't see anything on TV to show me that Strega was much if any faster than Voodoo on that Saturday. When Bill caught Steve Strega was at over 100% and Voodoo was running to a Saturday program. Voodoo was much better piloted, though.

With Kerch, Steve, and Mike Wilton Voodoo has become a very fast and reliable Racer. I hope they don't screw it up. I have a lot of confidence in this brain trust that Mr. Button has assembled, but they seem to be making quite a few big changes. There's no way to really test this stuff except by going Reno and racing.

It's gonna be fun to watch. I hope Strega turns up, and turns up strong. I hope the same for the Bear. We'll see...

Neal
              Mr Richard seems pretty confident as well that PM is ready to roll. Now that can be as much as ready to place top 3 this year or ready to punish the Merlins. I don't feel like PM's new "perfected" race engine is going to be enough to do it. I think she's gonna need a few more years of engine refinements and aerodynamic work to put her on top. Absolutely can't wait!!!
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Me neither! I've been wondering if Button and crew are spending all this money and doing all this work (think of the travel bills and motel bills involved!) in response to a perceived threat, or just trying to go faster on general principles. Are they concerned about somebody specific? If so, who...

Neal

Comment

Me neither! I've been wondering if Button and crew are spending all this money and doing all this work (think of the travel bills and motel bills involved!) in response to a perceived threat, or just trying to go faster on general principles. Are they concerned about somebody specific? If so, who...

Neal
                  (whispers)... Risky...... Business..... (Crickets)
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

My take? I wasn't even there, LOL. I didn't see anything on TV to show me that Strega was much if any faster than Voodoo on that Saturday. When Bill caught Steve Strega was at over 100% and going downhill, and Voodoo was running to a Saturday program. Voodoo was much better piloted, though.

Neal
                    I would be surprised if the Rare Bear has anything in it to make the propeller rotate by September...

Comment

... Voodoo was much better piloted, though....
                      I'm not so sure about that ...

Was Tiger literally all over the course Saturday.. Yes. But did he still manage to get past Stevo? Yes.

Tiger's experience allowed him to fly a better line, between the homestretch, and pylon #1 and #2. Especially at the start of the last lap Saturday. Probably maintaining 20-30kts over what Stevo had in the same exact stretch. The wider line is used in exchange for airspeed, some of which is maintained through the west valley, allowing Tiger to fly a bigger, higher course, but still have advantage over Stevo. It was a class act.

Which mustang is faster, when presented in all it's glory? Strega is. Hands down. Otherwise Button would have no reason to continue modding Voodoo...

But furthermore, Dago maintains the fastest clock officially.

Add this to the mix;

Hoot flies the most efficient line of anyone.. Put him behind Strega, he's going to feel like he's been set-free, compared to 232. The big question might be, what's under the cowl this year?

- Joseph

Comment

Interesting points, but I'm not convinced. I certainly think 20-30 knots is seriously overstating matters. It would also be interesting to know if Tiger broke the "Dreadnought Deadline" on the East end if his line though Home -1-2 was that much relaxed. That move from Home pylon to pylon 4 is a surprisingly tight pull at 500 mph.

Class act? Tiger was too wild and all over the map for my personal comfort level. I found his racing that day pretty scary. That is not how he raced when in his prime. I'm glad he's retired again.

Strega faster? Matt Jackson seems to think so, and he's raced both...

Neal

Comment

Strega appeared faster at the end of Saturday's race because Tiger went full throttle (or close to it?) while Stevo was running a relaxed power setting. I'm not sure how much that had to do with Tiger's line being the faster one.

That aside, along with Matt Jackson's opinion, I think even Stevo said in 2013 that Strega was the faster airplane. As it should be with 30+ years of development.
                          But that was before Voodoo's engine mount mod, the handling fix, the wing incidence mod, and now maybe a Dago-doghouse mod? Stevo and Kerch have got to have Voodoo close to being Strega's equal or maybe even superior?

If Strega does show with Hoot at the controls, it will certainly be an amazing race to watch and will come down to who has the best motor. My money is on Voodoo. That is of course if they can catch Precious Metal!

This is all of course wild speculation on my part, but it sure is fun to think about.

Comment

It's worth remembering that it was Kerch who made Strega what it she is today. I don't think Strega has many secrets Bill Kerchenfaut doesn't know.

Comment

It's worth remembering that it was Kerch who made Strega what it she is today. I don't think Strega has many secrets Bill Kerchenfaut doesn't know.
                              For sure! Plus I'm sure Stevo knows any of the secrets that were added after Kerch left the team, if there were anymore speed secrets added.

Comment

Working...
                              X