Tomorrow's Record Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tomorrow's Record Attempt

PRS saw 8 students in the Formula 1 class, although a couple were hardly "rookies ". Have to say right off the bat that the GT400 is one awesome airplane, thanks Elliott for bringing it to PRS. IF1 was truly international again, with 1 attendee from France, 2 from Great Britain, and 5 from the USA. We also had one student in a wheelchair but I will not call him handicapped, because he is currently building his own racer and should have it in Reno next year. Check out Justin Meaders' Facebook page, Limitless Air Racing, he is a former motorcycle road racer now preparing to compete in Reno. Can't wait to see his racer in Reno. Also, check out photo # 5 of Elliott's, that's Justin in the back seat of the GT400 gettin' ready to go flyin' with Elliott.
    Between the races in Tunisia and Spain, and talking to everyone at PRS I am stoked waiting for Sept. to get here. Come check out IF1 this year everbody !
    Russ
    Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Originally posted by 3dWrightBrother View Post
      PRS saw 8 students in the Formula 1 class, although a couple were hardly "rookies ". Have to say right off the bat that the GT400 is one awesome airplane, thanks Elliott for bringing it to PRS. IF1 was truly international again, with 1 attendee from France, 2 from Great Britain, and 5 from the USA. We also had one student in a wheelchair but I will not call him handicapped, because he is currently building his own racer and should have it in Reno next year. Check out Justin Meaders' Facebook page, Limitless Air Racing, he is a former motorcycle road racer now preparing to compete in Reno. Can't wait to see his racer in Reno. Also, check out photo # 5 of Elliott's, that's Justin in the back seat of the GT400 gettin' ready to go flyin' with Elliott.
      Between the races in Tunisia and Spain, and talking to everyone at PRS I am stoked waiting for Sept. to get here. Come check out IF1 this year everbody !
      Russ

Such a fun week! I am glad you were there Russ!!

Elliot

Justin shot this photo during the record attempt. Such pretty country.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	227936

Comment

Went to Texas in the GT to pick up a stranded Arrow, great chance to get more data on the GT.

Leave for Oshkosh here in like two weeks.

It was the GT's first time in Texas...such an awesome airplane!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	227938Click image for larger version

Name:	11698689_484197631743912_8851238345274726020_n.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	227939Click image for larger version

Name:	11700817_484197308410611_7329827840320841928_n.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	227940Click image for larger version

Name:	11701150_484197911743884_7054717585813523342_n.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	227941

Comment

Originally posted by laminar View Post
          Went to Texas in the GT to pick up a stranded Arrow, great chance to get more data on the GT.

Leave for Oshkosh here in like two weeks.

It was the GT's first time in Texas...such an awesome airplane!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21489[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21490[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21491[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21492[/ATTACH]
          Elliot, how is the GT in terms of comfort-ability for longer flights, like the one to Texas?

Now that I say that, I suppose it's fantastic considering you did 10+ hours in Wasabi last summer...
          Last edited by CJAM427; 07-05-2015, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
            Elliot, how is the GT in terms of comfort-ability for longer flights, like the one to Texas?

Now that I say that, I suppose it's fantastic considering you did 10+ hours in Wasabi last summer...
            Yeah that flight in Wasabi was...interesting haha.

The GT is a great cross country airplane. Solo the airplane is directionally and longitudinally stable stick free. So you can put your feet flat on the floor and use trim to fly almost hands off. For the roll axis you can turn off the left or right wing tank to manage lateral CG relieving that workload. With Jenn and bags in the back the pitch axis gets a little more lively and you need to fly it pretty actively, especially if you can't get above the turbulence. With Ken in the back we were pretty close to the aft CG limit and the airplane is very active in both pitch and yaw, so I end up handing off a lot of the navigation duties so that I can keep the airplane on altitude and course.

The propeller is the weak point of the airplane and we are looking around for another option. I think there is significant performance to be gained with a new prop, well obviously some Aerochia/Pacific Continental Turbos would help alot too

Party on,
            Elliot

Comment

Any plans for a GT400 talk?
              Random Air Blog

Comment

Yeah that flight in Wasabi was...interesting haha.

The GT is a great cross country airplane. Solo the airplane is directionally and longitudinally stable stick free. So you can put your feet flat on the floor and use trim to fly almost hands off. For the roll axis you can turn off the left or right wing tank to manage lateral CG relieving that workload. With Jenn and bags in the back the pitch axis gets a little more lively and you need to fly it pretty actively, especially if you can't get above the turbulence. With Ken in the back we were pretty close to the aft CG limit and the airplane is very active in both pitch and yaw, so I end up handing off a lot of the navigation duties so that I can keep the airplane on altitude and course.

The propeller is the weak point of the airplane and we are looking around for another option. I think there is significant performance to be gained with a new prop, well obviously some Aerochia/Pacific Continental Turbos would help alot too

Party on,
                Elliot

Haha I remember walking up to Wasabi, and both my Uncle and I thought; holy crap that seat is just a slab of carbon fiber!

That's really great to hear about the GT400 though! -I cannot wait to see you both in Osh!

I would love to build my own, then have Aerochia do some race prep on it.

Comment

Haha I remember walking up to Wasabi, and both my Uncle and I thought; holy crap that seat is just a slab of carbon fiber!

That's really great to hear about the GT400 though! -I cannot wait to see you both in Osh!

I would love to build my own, then have Aerochia do some race prep on it.

Now we're talking!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                    Any plans for a GT400 talk?
                    Cool Question!!!

My plan is to gather up the photos I have of the airplane being build and have them in a notebook or something at the airplane during Oshkosh. I will also publish them on the Wasabi Site.

In the meantime I found this great article about Ralph and George owl that Al Wimer wrote for the Formula Forum in 1993. Freaking cool!

Check it out!!
                    http://wasabiairracing.blogspot.com/...acers-and.html

Comment

Now we're talking!!!
                      Oh yeah!!!

Are you and the GT in Oshkosh all week?

Comment

Oh yeah!!!

Are you and the GT in Oshkosh all week?
                        Arrive Wednesday, talk Friday, launch Saturday.

You?

Comment

GT400 build photos posted.

Ralph Wise's GT400 will be parked with the Reno Racers on Boeing plaza. I look forward to seeing you guys there!!

http://wasabiairracing.blogspot.com/...ld-photos.html

Comment

Arrive Wednesday, talk Friday, launch Saturday.

You?
                            Possibly Wednesday, definitely Thursday, and Saturday.

-Thursday!

Comment

Working...
                            X