Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great Battles

Originally posted by wingman View Post
    Connor -- I actually share your obsession. I really admired that project. I've always thought that Tsunami had the potential to be the fastest Unlimited of them all. I always remember that even in 1987 she qualified 15 mph faster than anyone had ever qualified before. That fact is always forgotten because by chance Steve made his run minutes after Tiger had blown the minds of everybody on the ground by going just a bit faster yet. Steve was running to a plan, and had he known (or actually had he believed) about Tiger's speed he could easily have gone 5 mph faster on that run. Tsunami was a great Racer...

Neal

I did not know that about 1987, not at all surprising though. I think Skip showed us on it's very last lap that it was awfully close to actually being the fastest unlimited ever. If only, if only...

Connor

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
      The reports of the Sat. Race in '91 were always rumoring that Tsunami had 1-2 500+ laps while hunting the Bear..

Does anyone have any full-length video of that Race?

- Joseph
      It used to be on Vimeo, but I can't find it anymore. -Vimeo's search engine is about as effective as nailing jello to a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
        I did not know that about 1987, not at all surprising though. I think Skip showed us on it's very last lap that it was awfully close to actually being the fastest unlimited ever. If only, if only...

Connor
        By Reno 1987 most of the initial problems were solved, and the airplane had plenty of flight time, including a trip to Oshkosh. Hinton Boland and JRS wanted to make a statement, I think. Remember that the qual record at that time was just a bit over 450 mph and the fastest Gold Race had been won at 438 mph (by Steve Hinton). They decided that 465 mph would be that statement. Steve and Bruce Boland ran the numbers and set up their profile. Steve went up and ran a qual lap at 464.649 mph, which says something about both Boland and Hinton.

Unfortunately for them, Destefani had just moments before run a qualifying lap at the then absolutely astounding speed of 466.674 mph. Now, a quarter century later, all anybody remembers is Tiger's qualifying speed and the records he set for the rest of that week.

Tsunami became a footnote...

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
          The reports of the Sat. Race in '91 were always rumoring that Tsunami had 1-2 500+ laps while hunting the Bear..

Does anyone have any full-length video of that Race?

- Joseph
          I do. "Bradfire '91" from the top row of the Reserve grandstands. But it wasn't Saturday. It was the Sunday race on the last two laps.

There' are a few people on here that have copies.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
            By Reno 1987 most of the initial problems were solved, and the airplane had plenty of flight time, including a trip to Oshkosh. Hinton Boland and JRS wanted to make a statement, I think. Remember that the qual record at that time was just a bit over 450 mph and the fastest Gold Race had been won at 438 mph (by Steve Hinton). They decided that 465 mph would be that statement. Steve and Bruce Boland ran the numbers and set up their profile. Steve went up and ran a qual lap at 464.649 mph, which says something about both Boland and Hinton.

Unfortunately for them, Destefani had just moments before run a qualifying lap at the then absolutely astounding speed of 466.674 mph. Now, a quarter century later, all anybody remembers is Tiger's qualifying speed and the records he set for the rest of that week.

Tsunami became a footnote...
            Also remember, Neal....the next year during Saturday's "Mayday Race", Steve won with a then-record 467 mph for the heat.

Steve came in and shut down and told Sandberg "Don't touch a thing." Imagine their disappointment Sunday morning when the crew arrived to find Jack tinkering with the ADI because he thought he could make it better. They finished a distant 3rd. And that was about the time that Mr. Boland started distancing himself from the project.

Comment

hello neal my friend.....
              Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Hello back to you Sir! I have a question or two for you, related to some photographs of Race 75. I will start a new thread, hopefully later today. Please check back in to aafo over the next day or so.

Neal

Comment

Working...
                X