Thom Richards Wins F1 Gold In Monastir Tunisia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thom Richards Wins F1 Gold In Monastir Tunisia

Monastir — Swedish Thom Richards won, Sunday, the Formula 1 air racing gold cup which is the first stage of the Air Race 1 World Cup, organised in Tunisia, the first time organised on the African Continent, at the Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport.

He clocked 48.9 seconds, that is a speed of 427Km/h, on board of his "Hot Stuff," ahead of American Jones from Colorado, second on board of his "Quadnikckel Racer" in 50 seconds (413 Km/h) and his compatriot Michael Mundell from Ohio (52 seconds/400 km/h) on board of his "Second Wind."

The silver cup was won by American Philip Goforth from Midland Texas, on board of his "Pooder," ahead of his compatriot Justin Phillipson flying "Kermit" and Scottish Des Hart flying "Hart Attack."

The next stage of the Air Race 1 World Cup will take place, June 28 in Lleida in Spain, and the last one, September 20 in Reno, Nevada USA.

Re: Thom Richards Wins F1 Gold In Monastir Tunisia

Congratulations Mr Thom Richard.
    I hope Reno´15 be your next.

Comment

Good for Thom! He's made every airplane he's been involved with faster. And somebody builds him some incredible O-200s.

I'm also really pleased that the airplane went so fast, and won. Brian did a great job getting this thing together -- good to see the airplane moving to the next level.

I think those folks didn't measure their course very well, though. 265 mph seems wildly unlikely, and 256 mph for Jay is impossible...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
        Congratulations Mr Thom Richard.
        I hope Reno´15 be your next.
        I disagree. I am hoping Spain will be his next. That way when he wins Reno he'll have the Triple Crown!

Comment

Gongrats Mr Richards ...
          Can't wait to see him flying around the course this year
          Best of luck in Spain - winning there and Reno would me the triple crown, just as lop stated above.
          Mark K....

Comment

Congrats Thom and Team,

Outstanding win. Can't wait to see you guys here in Reno for the final.

I think this World F1 air race series will have a good impact on the Reno Air Races and bring us additional recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
              Congrats Thom and Team,

Outstanding win. Can't wait to see you guys here in Reno for the final.

I think this World F1 air race series will have a good impact on the Reno Air Races and bring us additional recognition.

Probably make some of you get out of bed earlier too… theres always been some good racing in the mornings...

Comment

Correction, the winning average speed was 362.72 kphr (225.43 mph). I previously posted what was a press release which had incorrect kphr qualifying speeds. It was my fault for trusting the media to get facts correct, I should know better (smile).

My Apologies

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                  Good for Thom! He's made every airplane he's been involved with faster. And somebody builds him some incredible O-200s.

I'm also really pleased that the airplane went so fast, and won. Brian did a great job getting this thing together -- good to see the airplane moving to the next level.

I think those folks didn't measure their course very well, though. 265 mph seems wildly unlikely, and 256 mph for Jay is impossible...

Neal
                  I heard the pylons were set up and taken down each day, and didn't always get placed back in the same spot...

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                    I heard the pylons were set up and taken down each day, and didn't always get placed back in the same spot...

Like Reno, but daily instead of annually?

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
                      Correction, the winning average speed was 362.72 kphr (225.43 mph). I previously posted what was a press release which had incorrect kphr qualifying speeds. It was my fault for trusting the media to get facts correct, I should know better (smile).

My Apologies
                      MISTER McMullin... you owe no one an apology for bringing to this forum, that which is happening around the world.. Off a couple datum.. who cares!!!!!

Cool thing is, without the general air racing population even knowing (far as I can tell) we've gone INTERNATIONAL!

Congrats Thom and crew!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

N22252:
                        Actually, no.

With few exceptions, or unless a particular pylon is slated for repositioning, pylons at Reno typically remain upright throughout the year (being what amount to 50+' telephone poles). The notable exceptions are, of course, Home Pylon as well as Inner One and Inner Two.
                        Owen Ashurst
                        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                          N22252:
                          Actually, no.

With few exceptions, or unless a particular pylon is slated for repositioning, pylons at Reno typically remain upright throughout the year (being what amount to 50+' telephone poles). The notable exceptions are, of course, Home Pylon as well as Inner One and Inner Two.
                          I think the sarcasm is that the course changes every year
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Ah....yeah...at the moment I replied it was lost on me. Funny though...

Thanks for straightening me out there, GRNDP51!
                            Owen Ashurst
                            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X