Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 84

Thread: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    782

    Default Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiracefan View Post
    Reever, Mr Awesome, a Yak 11 based unlimited racer had a Turbo Compound 3350, she had a troubled career, but she flew and made it round the pylons.
    That was my point.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Francisco , CA
    Posts
    5
    Blog Entries
    1

    Cool Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

    That's gonna be sweet!!!
    Keep me posted
    Any trips planned to stop and see it? Maybe a new update

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,998

    Default Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

    Reading this over again, why would they choose to retrofit the Yak 11 rather than taking a 9 or 3 airframe and turning that full race? Seems like a much easier and cheaper process..

    What condition did the airframe come into the shop as? Any n number?
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  4. #34

    Default Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Reading this over again, why would they choose to retrofit the Yak 11 rather than taking a 9 or 3 airframe and turning that full race? Seems like a much easier and cheaper process..

    What condition did the airframe come into the shop as? Any n number?
    It's called use what you have, there are more -11 projects and flyers than -3 and 9's. The yak 3, 9, and 11 all have the same basic wings and tail feathers. I believe the yak-11 wing is actually stronger than the new build 3 and 9's (Thicker spar cap).

    The fuselage for all 3 is a basic steel tube fuselage. All things being relative, it's not a big deal to change it from one configuration to another. Very much look forward to seeing this project move ahead!

    Mark

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,998

    Default Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdwflyer View Post
    It's called use what you have, there are more -11 projects and flyers than -3 and 9's. The yak 3, 9, and 11 all have the same basic wings and tail feathers. I believe the yak-11 wing is actually stronger than the new build 3 and 9's (Thicker spar cap).

    The fuselage for all 3 is a basic steel tube fuselage. All things being relative, it's not a big deal to change it from one configuration to another. Very much look forward to seeing this project move ahead!

    Mark
    Thanks for the info, thought it might be "use what you have".

    They're probably going to end up replacing the wing like they did with CM too, hope it'll make it to stead one day
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  6. #36

    Default Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

    The wing is has already been re-enforced and rebuilt.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Francisco , CA
    Posts
    5
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

    Is anyone a regular at redding? I'd love to stop in and chat with these guys. Sounds like a sweet project and fast racer.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,998

    Default Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Race70 View Post
    The wing is has already been re-enforced and rebuilt.
    And I'm over here thinking they haven't done anything to it yet!!! How long term can it really be, what else do they have to do?? It's not like restoring a dauntless taken out of a lake...
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  9. #39

    Default Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

    All they have for the fuselage is the steel tubular frame, which they are going to modify accommodate the v-12 and make it more streamlined. So the will have to build ALL of the fuselage skins and bracing from scratch... And deign a motor mount, basically build EVERYTHING custom on the fuselage. So they have their work cut out for them. All said... I would love see it fly someday, too.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Back in California again
    Posts
    257

    Default Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

    Quite a number of the 'Yak-3s' flying, especially in Europe, are conversions of ex-Egyptian C-11s from the Salis stash. As is the Planes of Fame one at Chino. So the engineering work to reconfigure one to Allison power has already been done many times over.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •