Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
    Reever, Mr Awesome, a Yak 11 based unlimited racer had a Turbo Compound 3350, she had a troubled career, but she flew and made it round the pylons.
    That was my point.

Comment

That's gonna be sweet!!!
      Keep me posted
      Any trips planned to stop and see it? Maybe a new update

Comment

Reading this over again, why would they choose to retrofit the Yak 11 rather than taking a 9 or 3 airframe and turning that full race? Seems like a much easier and cheaper process..

What condition did the airframe come into the shop as? Any n number?
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
          Reading this over again, why would they choose to retrofit the Yak 11 rather than taking a 9 or 3 airframe and turning that full race? Seems like a much easier and cheaper process..

What condition did the airframe come into the shop as? Any n number?
          It's called use what you have, there are more -11 projects and flyers than -3 and 9's. The yak 3, 9, and 11 all have the same basic wings and tail feathers. I believe the yak-11 wing is actually stronger than the new build 3 and 9's (Thicker spar cap).

The fuselage for all 3 is a basic steel tube fuselage. All things being relative, it's not a big deal to change it from one configuration to another. Very much look forward to seeing this project move ahead!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mdwflyer View Post
            It's called use what you have, there are more -11 projects and flyers than -3 and 9's. The yak 3, 9, and 11 all have the same basic wings and tail feathers. I believe the yak-11 wing is actually stronger than the new build 3 and 9's (Thicker spar cap).

The fuselage for all 3 is a basic steel tube fuselage. All things being relative, it's not a big deal to change it from one configuration to another. Very much look forward to seeing this project move ahead!

Mark
            Thanks for the info, thought it might be "use what you have".

They're probably going to end up replacing the wing like they did with CM too, hope it'll make it to stead one day
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The wing is has already been re-enforced and rebuilt.

Comment

Is anyone a regular at redding? I'd love to stop in and chat with these guys. Sounds like a sweet project and fast racer.

Comment

Originally posted by Race70 View Post
                  The wing is has already been re-enforced and rebuilt.
                  And I'm over here thinking they haven't done anything to it yet!!! How long term can it really be, what else do they have to do?? It's not like restoring a dauntless taken out of a lake...
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

All they have for the fuselage is the steel tubular frame, which they are going to modify accommodate the v-12 and make it more streamlined. So the will have to build ALL of the fuselage skins and bracing from scratch... And deign a motor mount, basically build EVERYTHING custom on the fuselage. So they have their work cut out for them. All said... I would love see it fly someday, too.

Comment

Quite a number of the 'Yak-3s' flying, especially in Europe, are conversions of ex-Egyptian C-11s from the Salis stash. As is the Planes of Fame one at Chino. So the engineering work to reconfigure one to Allison power has already been done many times over.

Comment

Is this the same Allison-powered Yak everyone is referring to?

hope this link works:

If not, search "Culpeper Regional Airport" and look at today's video of the Yak doing its engine run with the Allison.

Sam
                        Biplane Race #3

Comment

The to be Allison powered Yak that everyone is referring to is at Redding California. The engine program has been discontinued due to lack of funds. Look at the first page of this thread.
                          Last edited by Plane Nuts; 10-14-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I am aware that the thread is referring to a Yak in Redding, California; however, I wasn't sure that the video in the Culpeper Regional Airport's Facebook page was taken there, or if maybe one of their airport bums actually travelled to another part of the country and videoed/posted it.

I'll take that as a no, then.

Sam
                            Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by flyboycpa View Post
                              Thanks, I am aware that the thread is referring to a Yak in Redding, California; however, I wasn't sure that the video in the Culpeper Regional Airport's Facebook page was taken there, or if maybe one of their airport bums actually travelled to another part of the country and videoed/posted it.

I'll take that as a no, then.

Sam
                              The race Yak this thread is about does not really resemble and aircraft currently... So no that is not it, cool plane though
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

stopped by a hanger in redding that had the door ajar. looked in and there was nobody was around, I yelled out several times still nobody was around,there were two cars out front I decided to take a couple pictures. I never went into place I just snapped three shots and decided to haul ass..
                                could this possibly be the reading the yak everybody's talking about??
                                I don't know can someone help me out??
                                I did notice it had a v12 block up front don't know if it's Allison and Merlin ???
                                Looked like good clean work that's for sure...!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X