Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

Default Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

Quote Originally Posted by Plane Nuts View Post
    Probably due to lack of funding. That is why it died at the machine shop.
    Let me rephrase that. Due to lack of funding the machinist could not continue to develop a race ready engine package which is what he was requested to do. The deadline for Reno came and went twice with no funding, that is when he had to bow out. It was not a money maker for the machinist, it was a cool project to take on which he has the skill and knowledge to do.
    Last edited by Plane Nuts; 05-26-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plane Nuts View Post
    Let me rephrase that. Due to lack of funding the machinist could not continue to develop a race ready engine package which is what he was requested to do. The deadline for Reno came and went twice with no funding, that is when he had to bow out. It was not a money maker for the machinist, it was a cool project to take on which he has the skill and knowledge to do.
    I checked on the Yak 11 the othe day. It's looking pretty good! Still a long way from being done, but it's looking more like an airplane everytime I see it. They still work on it almost everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Race70 View Post
    I checked on the Yak 11 the othe day. It's looking pretty good! Still a long way from being done, but it's looking more like an airplane everytime I see it. They still work on it almost everyday.
    So this yak isn't the Allison race yak?? Is this one going to be a racer?
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    So this yak isn't the Allison race yak?? Is this one going to be a racer?
    It is a Yak-11 being converted to an Allison. The plan is for it to be an all out unlimited racer. Think Czech Mate with a V-12.

It is a Yak-11 being converted to an Allison. The plan is for it to be an all out unlimited racer. Think Czech Mate with a V-12.
    That makes a lot more sense to me now. WOW!!!! Any chance you can snag some pics next time you're around?
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

It would be great to see some pics. It sounds like a cool project.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    It would be great to see some pics. It sounds like a cool project.

Will
    I'll have to ask for permission to post photos, but there's not much to see.

I've always thought that a Yak-9 or simular with a hot V-12 would be a tough package to beat. I even did some drawings and designed some airframe mods to clean it up a bit. Hopefully this one doesn't take as long as Wildfire or Mr. Awesome!

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Silly question...wasn't the Yak designed for a round motor? How are they gonna make a "V" motor work in a "round" hole?

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    Silly question...wasn't the Yak designed for a round motor? How are they gonna make a "V" motor work in a "round" hole?
    Redesigning the whole fuse.