Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

Originally posted by Race70 View Post
    I checked on the Yak 11 the othe day. It's looking pretty good! Still a long way from being done, but it's looking more like an airplane everytime I see it. They still work on it almost everyday.
    It would be great to see some pics. It sounds like a cool project.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      It would be great to see some pics. It sounds like a cool project.

Will
      I'll have to ask for permission to post photos, but there's not much to see.

Comment

I've always thought that a Yak-9 or simular with a hot V-12 would be a tough package to beat. I even did some drawings and designed some airframe mods to clean it up a bit. Hopefully this one doesn't take as long as Wildfire or Mr. Awesome!

Race 29
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Silly question...wasn't the Yak designed for a round motor? How are they gonna make a "V" motor work in a "round" hole?

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
            Silly question...wasn't the Yak designed for a round motor? How are they gonna make a "V" motor work in a "round" hole?
            Redesigning the whole fuse.

Comment

And there is no way they could ever hang a Turbo Compound 3350 on a Yak! My money is on the guys with the V12.

Comment

Depends on the model.

Yak 3?
                Yak 9?
                Yak11?

Comment

Personally I'd like to see a Merlin Yak 9 with race turtledeck and boil-off.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                    Personally I'd like to see a Merlin Yak 9 with race turtledeck and boil-off.
                    I second that.

Comment

Originally posted by Race70 View Post
                      I second that.
                      Who wouldn't? Any new racer would be awesome at this point though.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                        And there is no way they could ever hang a Turbo Compound 3350 on a Yak! My money is on the guys with the V12.

Reever, Mr Awesome, a Yak 11 based unlimited racer had a Turbo Compound 3350, she had a troubled career, but she flew and made it round the pylons.
                        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

The Yak-11 was originally meant to be a round engine adaption of the WW2 Yak-3, which had Klimov V-12 power, there were changes made to the fuse profile for the radial.
                          There were Yaks built in the 90's to the WW2 plans in Russia, i believe that there were Yak-9s as well as the Yak-3s built and these all had Allison power, and then there were the Yak-3U airframes like Steadfast with the R-2000 under the cowls
                          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                            Reever, Mr Awesome, a Yak 11 based unlimited racer had a Turbo Compound 3350, she had a troubled career, but she flew and made it round the pylons.

Nyyyyyyyeeeeooooooowwwww!!!!

Kiwi, Reever's comment was pure sarcasm based on Mr. Awesome.

Comment

Any new news on the yak in redding???

seems like there are only a few guys that know about it.

Go yaks!

Comment

I haven't been by in a couple months. But, they are making some progress. And the work they've done looks great. I think they are designing an engine mount for an Allison now. But, as stated in an earlier post... It's a very long term project.
                                Last edited by Race70; 10-10-2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X