• Show
Clear All

Re: New Yak Unlimited Racer?

Originally posted by Race70 View Post
    Redesigning the whole fuse.
    How about a laminar flow wing ?

Comment

Here are the pictures as promised, taken just before Christmas.
      -Ratso
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ratso View Post
        Here are the pictures as promised, taken just before Christmas.
        -Ratso
        How exciting. Thanks for sharing the build progress here, very much appreciated by all.

Comment

Looks mighty clean. +1
          '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

While I love airplanes, especially fast airplanes (like purpose built racers), I absolutely love looking at the skills involved to build one of these; the design and metal work is simply a work of art!

Not to derail the thread, but watching all the Mike Patey videos on his YouTube channel are simply amazing! His skills and knowledge are unbelievable. If you ever find yourself bored one day, go down the rabbit hole and watch his Draco build videos as well as the Scrappy videos!

I am fired up to see this build finished!
            "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Any updates Ratso?
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Moving along- canopy molds close to finished, then on to engine cowls, radiator, and scoop design and profiling.

Comment

Moving along- canopy molds close to finished, then on to engine cowls, radiator, and scoop design and profiling.
                  Saw some pics of the molds, she's coming along
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Sweet!!!
                    Random Air Blog

Comment

Redding Yak is progressing well... We are still constantly chipping away at it.

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                      Any updates Ratso?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the update. She looks fast.
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Like clockwork, almost spot on a year since the last update. Really hope this one makes it one day.

Can you give any details about what you're working on currently?
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

We were slowed down this last year for the same reasons as the rest of the country. Also, the first 10 years that I worked on the project, I lived at nearby Lake Shasta, which made my part of it a 5 to 6 day a week commitment. Around 3 years ago I moved back to So-Cal, so my commitment shrank to one week a month when I flew up north. That became less yet because of the lockdowns. I'm back to one week a month, now, but it's still only a 3 person project, with Mark, (the owner), me, and one other , all working part time, and all volunteer. Right now I've been concentrating on the forward cowl formers and cowlings. Mark and Chris have been concentrating on the canopy mold and on building a crate to safely get it to the shop for fabricating the real thing- this a "one off" canopy and was totally designed by Mark and Chris in the shop and at a local fiberglass fabricator. The wheels have been completed (machined out of 4 solid blocks of aluminum) and I have to be sure that the clamshell doors that I fabricated years ago will operate as they did with the mock-up. Work on prop area also going on. Designing ducting and scoop for radiator, oil cooler, and inlet to the "Aux" Blower is next. (Lots to go but at least progress).
                            Ratso

Comment

We were slowed down this last year for the same reasons as the rest of the country. Also, the first 10 years that I worked on the project, I lived at nearby Lake Shasta, which made my part of it a 5 to 6 day a week commitment. Around 3 years ago I moved back to So-Cal, so my commitment shrank to one week a month when I flew up north. That became less yet because of the lockdowns. I'm back to one week a month, now, but it's still only a 3 person project, with Mark, (the owner), me, and one other , all working part time, and all volunteer. Right now I've been concentrating on the forward cowl formers and cowlings. Mark and Chris have been concentrating on the canopy mold and on building a crate to safely get it to the shop for fabricating the real thing- this a "one off" canopy and was totally designed by Mark and Chris in the shop and at a local fiberglass fabricator. The wheels have been completed (machined out of 4 solid blocks of aluminum) and I have to be sure that the clamshell doors that I fabricated years ago will operate as they did with the mock-up. Work on prop area also going on. Designing ducting and scoop for radiator, oil cooler, and inlet to the "Aux" Blower is next. (Lots to go but at least progress).
                              Ratso
                              The two changes I noticed since last update were the new canopy mold and the cowling coming together. Progress is progress!
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Are you guys running an Allison V1710 G6?

Will

Comment

Working...
                                X