Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P51 For Sale - Estate Auction

Originally posted by grampi View Post
    The spare engine, 1650-9, isn't that the version that was used in the "H" models?
    Anyone?

Comment

Anyone?

American Combat Planes, by Ray Wagner, said -9 in P-51H.

Comment

Originally posted by JayReno View Post
        American Combat Planes, by Ray Wagner, said -9 in P-51H.
        I wonder how difficult it would be to drop the -9 into the D model?

Comment

I wonder how difficult it would be to drop the -9 into the D model?
          From what I have read over the years some engine builders use the -9 blower on their race engines. Sounded like the difference was the gear ratio to the supercharger, so the blower choice was made based on the engine RPM they intended to run & Manifold Pressure they wanted to get. There have been several good articles in Air Classics that covered the choice of components used in a typical race Merlin & why.

Comment

It has always been pretty common for stockers who want to run reasonably fast to drop a fresh -9 into their Mustangs. With a bit of airframe cleanup and spray bars it's fairly easy to run 380-390 mph with a -9.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
              It has always been pretty common for stockers who want to run reasonably fast to drop a fresh -9 into their Mustangs. With a bit of airframe cleanup and spray bars it's fairly easy to run 380-390 mph with a -9.

Neal
              A -9 block with Transport heads.
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Did the "spare" Merlin go in the auction with the Mustang?

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                  Did the "spare" Merlin go in the auction with the Mustang?
                  Auction Companies typically separate items that are not part of a complete package. That way they can make more money in sales. All the parts to complete the Mustang were probably included. Everything else that was not part of one complete Mustang, was probably sold separately. That's the pattern I've noticed.

Comment

The First organization to use the V-1650-9 in Mustangs originally equipped with the V1650-3 & V1650-7 engines was a group called the USAF. In 1948 they issued Tech Order No. 01-60JE-41Dated November 10, 1948. Where they described the modifications necessary to fit the -9 after mods. Primarily these mods consist of engine control and some plumbing modifications. The change was ordered at Overhaul intervals, and to correct failures of the early engines as they occurred. Not a mandatory change before further flight order.
                    John
                    John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                      Auction Companies typically separate items that are not part of a complete package. That way they can make more money in sales. All the parts to complete the Mustang were probably included. Everything else that was not part of one complete Mustang, was probably sold separately. That's the pattern I've noticed.
                      This one was advertised and sold as a package.

Comment

When I met Ken in Torrance back in 92 he told me that he had really wanted to trade 16V for Burnstine's "Miss Foxy Lady" after his death and go racing. This of course never happened, and 16V stayed undisturbed in its hangar up until today.

T J

Comment

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
                          When I met Ken in Torrance back in 92 he told me that he had really wanted to trade 16V for Burnstine's "Miss Foxy Lady" after his death and go racing. This of course never happened, and 16V stayed undisturbed in its hangar up until today.

T J
                          Interesting. Burnstine didn't own Foxy Lady at the time of his accident. He had actually sold N70QF to Gary Levitz in March of 1976 as a personal favor to help pay for his legal defense. I think Gary had as a Pruitt's Home Furnishings asset, and then under a leasing company...but Gary owned it. If I recall it didn't have an engine as there was some (again) legal issue between Burnstine, Levitz, and Bill Yoak who had loaned them a ferry motor to get it home after blowing the motor at Reno '75.

Levitz and Ralph Payne were seriously considering renaming the plane "Hebrew Hornet" and putting either Vernon Thrope or Joe Henderson in the plane and racing it at Reno '76. John Crocker bought it instead and 'won' at Reno that year, but was disqualified for a deadline cut.

But I know Gary was a businessman and since he already had his own racing Mustang at the time he most likely wasn't interested in trading one airframe for another...he would have just wanted to get the money out of it. If Ken was negotiating a trade with Gary, that's probably what stifled it.

Comment

Did anyone else notice that Eric Hoffman was one of the early bidders? Maybe he could cannibalize it into rebuilding Dago Red
                            Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by flyboycpa View Post
                              Did anyone else notice that Eric Hoffman was one of the early bidders? Maybe he could cannibalize it into rebuilding Dago Red
                              The remains of the Dago airframe are in WAY better shape. Using Dago parts to rebuild that pile would be the way it would have to go.

Comment

wasn't supposed to post
                                Last edited by Lon Moer; 06-15-2015, 08:30 PM.
                                remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Working...
                                X