Reno Air Race Tugs and Carts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno Air Race Tugs and Carts

OK - one more time for my all-time super duper can't-get-enough-of-her favorite.....
    (and I may like the hot rod tug... but she doesn't really hold a candle to this one)
    Attached Files
    Mark K....

Comment

Nice lineup shot Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by CRJpilot View Post
        That's not a tug. . .

Now that's a tug!

This is a scan from Reno '99, I can't remember if it belonged to a team or if it handled general duties.

It looks very similar to the Jelly Belly team rig.

Don

Thats Bill Newman's super tug.

Comment

Originally posted by Race4gold View Post
          Nice lineup shot Mark.
          Thank you sir
          That was the nice thing about that Friday afternoon back in 99'.... almost no-one else had arrived yet so getting that lineup shot was easier then anyone could have imagined.
          Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Airracer75 View Post
            Thats Bill Newman's super tug.
            Cool, thanks for answering that!

Don

PS - Hey Mark, that shot of Dago's pit is stunning!

Comment

Just to keep the post current for historical purposes, heres are some more tug and cart shots from 2016.

Ok, one may be using the boundaries :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                I miss the Friday night 'tug races' on the ramp. By the end they had become kind of a shell of their former self, but in the early years it was a real hoot to see everyone run what they brung in those pick-up races. From the Bear's big block special, to Art Vance's 'drop tank'.....

They're now part of Reno lore along with the Wednesday night Warlock party, Phil Wallick's multi-media show (whether at the MGM Grand, or on a bedsheet hanging from a race trailer in the pits), and the Florida Gang's smoke-oil parties.
                OOoooooohhh....I remember the smoke-oil parties.........at least the first cups full....
                remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                  At W10/manassas airport, we had one a dulles aviation that had a 426 hemi in it.....but with a 1 barrel carburetor and a super low rpm optimized cam for torque.

I think most of the horsepower went to help the fan make noise.
                  I'll bet a jelly donut it was an industrial 354 Hemi. That engine was available as a package and used for power in all sorts of applications from stationary generators to airport tugs to start-carts to combines and irrigation well pumps. Lots of them had 1 or 2-bbl carbs, propane carbs, or natural gas carbs. I used to walk past 3 sitting in a junkyard that I frequented for many years. The flywheel and bellhousing was only compatible with industrial transmissions or PTOs, so car guys couldn't use them for much.

Comment

yeah.....thought it was a 354 or 392 but the plate on the tug was dated 1968 and said 426ci.

I was very surprised.

Comment

yeah.....thought it was a 354 or 392 but the plate on the tug was dated 1968 and said 426ci.

I was very surprised.
                      Posts some pictures of this legend

Comment

I was very surprised.
                        Distributor in the front or back? That's the quickest clue. :-)

Comment

This was in 1985 just after I earned my A&P at SIU.

It was a tug pulling beech 99s on the colgan airways end of Manassas airport (W10).

I lost a bet with one of the colgan sons about it being 426 and I had to let him drive my bridgeported 13-b mazda rx-2.

It was definately 426ci but more likely a wedge than a hemi.......but at the time, I figured all 426s were hemi.

Comment

Wonder where all those sweet tugs have Gone? tug heaven/
                            Ron

Comment

Working...
                            X