Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Darryl Greenamyer's ejection from his F104 Starfighter speed attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about Darryl Greenamyer's ejection from his F104 Starfighter speed atte

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
    Am I supposed to be able to read this online at Facebook? I see one page of it, but cannot enlarge the page to read the text. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/warbirdpubl...type=3&theater
    F-4 Spec J79-10 fresh from overhaul on loan from Navy.
    Navy Personel showed them how to tweak for some more power.
    Water injection in inlets.
    Nitrous oxide injection in the afterburner section.
    Lighter than any variant of the F104 (3,400 lbs lighter than F-104S)

Comment

Re: Question about Darryl Greenamyer's ejection from his F104 Starfighter speed atte

The Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, also known as the "Missile With A Man In It," is known for many things. It was the first operational mach two capable fighter, it was designed by the legendary Kelly Johnson and served with 15 nations for almost 50 years. One thing it is not known for is its slow-speed handling.

The Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, also known as the "Missile With A Man In It," is known for many things. It was the first operational mach two capable fighter, it was designed by the legendary Kelly Johnson and served with 15 nations for almost 50 years. One thing it is not known for is its slow-speed handling.

Comment

I think this video at 1:16 might be a good example. The plane lands, yaws, wind gets under the forward wing, causes it to lift, wing lowers, catches suddenly, then rolls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEFKHop04IQ
        Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 03-28-2015, 08:17 PM.

Comment

flight manual recommends not to belly one in if you can do something otherwise but they do have a procedure.

Once the tailpipe touches, you fall pretty heavily and the higher the angle of attack, the harder you slap down.

Last edited by IcePaq; 03-28-2015, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I did some searching on the web tonight and came across this interesting page for folks that are interested in plastic models.
            Can anyone translate this? Cool lookin model of the RB-104 and other air racers!

Race 29
            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

The Saab crash in the video wasn't a belly landing. The engineers set the gain too high accidently I think for that flight if I remember and the pilot did good to make it that far. The powered lift system on the 104 makes it so the airplane doesn't land on it's tailpipe during a gear up landing, and should be able to land close to landing speed pretty flat. Still think the original eject-over-belly-landing procedure was due to the downward ejection seat early on. Can see the test pilots insisting, and winning the argument, if any, on that being in the flight manual. Over a couple of thousand 104's were built. There must have been inadvertent belly landings in service after the Red Barron crash to access the success rate. One hung main gear would logically make ejection mandatory.
              Last edited by Curt_B; 03-29-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

A friend found this which has pictures of the crash site in 2012.

On the 26th of February, 1978, Darryl Greenamyer was flying out of Mojave Airport in California, practicing for his upcoming attempt at setting the FAI absolute altitude record. Just four months earlier, he and his beautiful, painstakingly pieced together winged hot rod had set the world low-altitude absolute speed record at 988.26mph around 60 ft above the ground where a malfunction, blink or sneeze would cause you to die before you knew what had happened. The power boosting water-injection system he was testing had worked flawlessly and Darryl was feeling pretty good about the upcoming run when, with about 20 minutes of fuel left, he turned downwind for a landing. As the gear came down he noticed that his left gear down and locked light did not illuminate. He cycled the gear a few times and even changed the bulbs in the lights just to make sure it wasn't something simple that was giving him a bad gear warning. With no change in the lights status and fuel running low Greenamyer turned for Edwards AFB to see if he could bounce the aircraft at 200mph along the 15,000ft runway to see if the left gear was in fact locked. Edwards tower reported to him that the gear seemed to be collapsing slightly on impact and, running out of fuel and light, he added power, cleaned up the gear and headed for the range area to the east and prepared to punch out. Then, at 10,000ft he throttled back to 200mph, shut the engine down, pulled the ejection handle and reluctantly consigned 13 years of blood, sweat and tears to crash out on the Edwards range. As the chute blossomed above him he saw the Red Baron head away from him to a distance of around 5 miles and then make a 180 degree turn. The one of a kind F-104 flew back past him low to the left, impacting flat and level among the Joshua trees deep in the desert. And then today, nearly 34 years after the Baron pancaked into the sand, AFFTC Museum Director George Welsh, NASA Historian Pete Merlin, Air Force Master Sgt, Tony Accurso and myself, using recently discovered photos of the site, literally drove up to the wreckage, spotting it from the cab of the truck before we even got out to search for it and thought we would share what was a pretty good day of wreckchasing out at Edwards.

Comment

Comment #19 shows the middle part of the fuselage, air intakes. The photos in your story shows the aft/engine/exhaust section. These photos appear to be taken of different parts of the plane in different areas. Is this area open to the public to drive around looking for junk pieces?

Comment

Comment #19 shows the middle part of the fuselage, air intakes. The photos in your story shows the aft/engine/exhaust section. These photos appear to be taken of different parts of the plane in different areas. Is this area open to the public to drive around looking for junk pieces?
                    The two photos are of the same wreckage pattern but from different angles.

And those photos were taken in 1978 shortly after the crash. The wreckage was removed and stored for a long time in one of the ammo bunkers at Mojave in the infield of the race course.

Comment

Are there any videos or text articles where Darryl is interviewed about this F104 and his speed record?
                      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 03-30-2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

As a matter of fact.....

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          Good article on Darryls F104 written in June 1978. Is the reason the military never attempted to beat this record is because it is too dangerous flying so low, so fast and too hard on turbine engines? Could any of today's military jets beat that record?
                          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 03-31-2015, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Am I supposed to be able to read this online at Facebook? I see one page of it, but cannot enlarge the page to read the text. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/warbirdpubl...type=3&theater
                            Just checked Warbird Digest website, and Issue 53 is still available for $8.99 for anyone that wants to read it.

Warbird Digest the magazine for warbird enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah View Post
                              That is correct Bill, maybe John will chime in but I remember him telling Hoover that he was on his way to jump out when the gear came down.
                              Actually Steve Hinton and I were on Johns wing in the T-Bird. He had no intention of jumping out. We discussed his option in the few minutes we orbited around him. Steve and I simply told him to keep tugging on the gear handle, which eventually worked. He also had depleted his altitude to the point he was too low to bail out. His engine oil temp was also getting warm and he was quickly running out of options. John handled it like the pro he is. His voice never waivered. I think I was scared more for him than he was for himself. He is the MAN!!!!!!

MJ

Comment

Here is a 12 page thread from 2004 on Darryl Greenamyer's F104 speed record:
                                http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...-rb(red-baron)

Comment

Working...
                                X