X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section Eight

Another one I wish would show up more.

Re: Section Eight

Is this one the former race #8 - Bardahl Miss?

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
      Is this one the former race #8 - Bardahl Miss?
      Section Eight is the former Bardahl Special. The former Bardahl Miss is now "Lady B".

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        Section Eight is the former Bardahl Special. The former Bardahl Miss is now "Lady B".
        yeah - I got the name wrong, but the right race #! It was the one that was all white and weren't they discussing at some point about putting a griffon in it? Didn't mean to confuse it with the E D Weiner(?) mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
          yeah - I got the name wrong, but the right race #! It was the one that was all white and weren't they discussing at some point about putting a griffon in it? Didn't mean to confuse it with the E D Weiner(?) mustang.
          They discussed putting a Griffon engine in it, but that decision went out the window in favor of a plan to put an Allison in instead. The supercharger and accessory section was going to be powered by a small Garrett turbine with the exhaust out the left side similar to the Turbo Mustang III by Cavalier. It was going to use a cut down Lockheed Electra 4 blade prop, and a Cavalier-type tail, although Chuck has told me they were looking at an H-model tail too. They were going to move the cockpit back like they did on Stiletto, and the canopy was the same kind that was on Miss R.J./Roto-Finish (since Jim Larsen was designing the mods anyhow...) Chuck gave me a copy of the schematics many years ago and it looked pretty wicked. I'm not sure about the ability for an Allison to swing an Electra prop, and it would have been a bitch and a half to control in the air, but since the goal was the 3km I'm not sure how worried Chuck was about turning.

Unfortunately once the plane got disassembled in the shop and modifications were started, Bardahl outsourced their marketing to a guy who wanted nothing to do with sponsorships....so up dried the money and with it the project sat. Unfinished.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            They discussed putting a Griffon engine in it, but that decision went out the window in favor of a plan to put an Allison in instead. The supercharger and accessory section was going to be powered by a small Garrett turbine with the exhaust out the left side similar to the Turbo Mustang III by Cavalier. It was going to use a cut down Lockheed Electra 4 blade prop, and a Cavalier-type tail, although Chuck has told me they were looking at an H-model tail too. They were going to move the cockpit back like they did on Stiletto, and the canopy was the same kind that was on Miss R.J./Roto-Finish (since Jim Larsen was designing the mods anyhow...) Chuck gave me a copy of the schematics many years ago and it looked pretty wicked. I'm not sure about the ability for an Allison to swing an Electra prop, and it would have been a bitch and a half to control in the air, but since the goal was the 3km I'm not sure how worried Chuck was about turning.

Unfortunately once the plane got disassembled in the shop and modifications were started, Bardahl outsourced their marketing to a guy who wanted nothing to do with sponsorships....so up dried the money and with it the project sat. Unfinished.
            Thanks for posting this! If you happen to run across that schematic again I'd love to see it. I've heard pieces of that story many times, but had no idea Larsen was involved. Very cool outside the box stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut View Post
              Thanks for posting this! If you happen to run across that schematic again I'd love to see it. I've heard pieces of that story many times, but had no idea Larsen was involved. Very cool outside the box stuff.
              Make that two of us!

I never heard about that before, wicked cool.

Comment

Working...
              X