Piper Cup Race Of Champions Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piper Cup Race Of Champions Class

Ok guys, heres another fantasy thread we can have fun with.

Every one remember the IROC series for racing champs in equally setup cars??

Now, air racing is expensive, no real sponsors with big pockets. So we have to get real.

How about 10 Piper Cubs, each vinyl wrapped in unlimited champion colors.

Strega
    Rare Bear
    White Lightening
    Tsunami
    VooDoo
    Precious Metal
    Dago
    Red Baron
    Bardahl Special

Short course around the home pylon, standing start, 10 laps and some kind of raffle ticket/wager as to the top 3 finish order?

With a lot of hype this could be held Saturday after the air races. Throw in some bands and we could have a party into the night. Autograph sessions pit tours.

The big question, can you wrap a Piper Cub, will it still fly

Now what pilots can we put in them:

Skip
    Tiger
    Hinton Jr
    Hinton Sr
    Matt
    Will

Last edited by Desertdawg; 02-01-2015, 08:33 AM.

Re: Piper Cup Race Of Champions Class

We would like to see 10 Glasair lll on the ramp. Throw 50 names of the the best pilots in a hat, draw 10. Set up a similar race as they do at Reno in heat races, and let the strategy, and pilots skills determine who can manage, and fly the better aircraft.
    I think this would bring out the very best flying skills of some the best pilots in the world!
    Warbirds45

Comment

Crap, I'd settle for Skip and John Penny shooting it out in a Super Cub race, as long as Heather got to officiate...

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        Crap, I'd settle for Skip and John Penny shooting it out in a Super Cub race, as long as Heather got to officiate...

And trophie girls of course

Comment

GEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee, it's about time.........I've been talking "CUB" races for years...............could set aside one whole day for just a one lap race........can you imagine the excitement of seeing and barely hearing them, as they're going down the valley of speed at 75 mph.........WOW............wouldn't even have to use a high shutter speed on your camera.

Brian

Comment

Aw heck, a Cub will do way more than 75. I once had one over 100 mph. Of course, that was strait down with the prop stopped. Might've been slower with the engine running.
            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Our favorite announcer could have fun with this... "Hailing from Lock Haven, PA and powered by the mighty Continental C-65 let's hear it for....The Baaaad Boys of Primary Flight Training!!!!"

Comment

There is only ONE good reason to bring Cubs to Reno. STOL contest. I'd love to see some of the guys that compete in Alaska come show there skills off.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  There is only ONE good reason to bring Cubs to Reno. STOL contest. I'd love to see some of the guys that compete in Alaska come show there skills off.
                  You got that right. I mentioned that before. Would Definately be a crowd favorite.

2011 May Day fly in at Valdez, Alaska. STOL competition clips Some Alaskan scenery, mostly airplanes, with music.

Comment

That is actually probably a good idea. They did a competition at Oshkosh.
                    Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                      That is actually probably a good idea. They did a competition at Oshkosh.
                      The competition at Oshkosh was awesome, it's unreal how short some of those landings were.

Check out the landing by Lil' Cub @6:28
                      A few clips from the first round of the short take-off and landing (STOL) competition at EAA Airventure 2014.

Comment

STOL contest and flour bombs. Used to do that stuff with my father. I do miss it. He used to try and hover his Cub over the end of the runway when the afternoon winds came up.
                        No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                        http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Instead of Cubs only, it should be 65hp high wing only... let Champs, Taylorcrafts, and Luscombes race as well for some variety. Cubs would likely lose, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanshort1 View Post
                            Instead of Cubs only, it should be 65hp high wing only... let Champs, Taylorcrafts, and Luscombes race as well for some variety. Cubs would likely lose, though.
                            Now, would that be a true "65 Horsepower" class or a "Bring a Continental C-65 crankshaft, and rev it as fast as you can with the timing advanced as much you can" class?

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
                              Now, would that be a true "65 Horsepower" class or a "Bring a Continental C-65 crankshaft, and rev it as fast as you can with the timing advanced as much you can" class?
                              Stock A-65 Continentals only... or at least stock looking!

Comment

Working...
                              X