Unleashed Video 2014 Sport Silver Uncut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unleashed Video 2014 Sport Silver Uncut

No music, uncut, start to finish. I added GPS groundspeed data as recorded by the GPS in my camera. Pretty sweet! Wish I had more instruments that logged more data. I couldn't figure out a way to display the small amount of engine data that I have.

It took me a few laps, but I found a way around Race #91. That was everything the airplane had, and all the pilot s#@t I know how to do.

After the first lap I knew I was in for a battle, one that the oil temperature wasn't going to like. So, after the first lap I pulled 100 RPM off and just used some energy management to try some things. Once I knew where he was good, and where I was good, I made my move. I wicked it back up to make my move and it eventually worked. Peaked the oil temp at 237 so it was a good thing I held it off for a bit.

Unleashed Air Racing

Re: Unleashed Video 2014 Sport Silver Uncut

Amazing video! I always hate to make suggestions because I'm not an A&P.. that said, driving many miles ahead of an air cooled VW bus engine which I had installed an oil temp gauge.. I'm pretty familiar with managing oil temps..

Something I never did but did a bunch of looking at, was to install "spray bar" system ahead of the air flow into the oil cooler. There were kits out there, pretty simple electric water pump, a jet that installed in the air flow.. yadda.. Point being, extremely simple, extremely effective. Low water consumption, fairly low demand DC pump.

Stupid as it sounds, could you add something like that to an AC engine and use it when needed?

Worked for 100's or more Vdub busses over the years when they were EXTREMELY popular.

VIA EDIT.. I should add, the bus was a '74 1.8 liter which I'd modified the factory dual carbs, compression ratio, intake flow.. etc. So it made a lot more power, and heat than stock.. only place I had problems keeping the oil cool was on long max power sessions.. for veewee's, this almost always meant a long hill... Trust me, every hill was foot through the floor! Particularly, when "racing" Subaru Legacy's up hills.. they could pull a lot more RPM in third than I was willing to tolerate, so I "lugged" it up in 4th to beat them..
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I really enjoyed the video, thank you (well done, too). One question - at one point, you said "Uh, ah, damn." Why? Was there some wake turbulence there?

Before reading Wayne's post, I was wondering much the same thing - would a larger oil cooler fit? If not, then a spray bar?

Again, thanks for the video - that's some impressive speed from 4 cylinders.

Comment

Excellent video!

You certainly had the speed on him, but dang, he was flying a tight line. Your speed would make-up for it pretty quick though.

Fun watch! Thanks a bunch.

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
          Amazing video! I always hate to make suggestions because I'm not an A&P.. that said, driving many miles ahead of an air cooled VW bus engine which I had installed an oil temp gauge.. I'm pretty familiar with managing oil temps..

Something I never did but did a bunch of looking at, was to install "spray bar" system ahead of the air flow into the oil cooler. There were kits out there, pretty simple electric water pump, a jet that installed in the air flow.. yadda.. Point being, extremely simple, extremely effective. Low water consumption, fairly low demand DC pump.

Stupid as it sounds, could you add something like that to an AC engine and use it when needed?

Worked for 100's or more Vdub busses over the years when they were EXTREMELY popular.

VIA EDIT.. I should add, the bus was a '74 1.8 liter which I'd modified the factory dual carbs, compression ratio, intake flow.. etc. So it made a lot more power, and heat than stock.. only place I had problems keeping the oil cool was on long max power sessions.. for veewee's, this almost always meant a long hill... Trust me, every hill was foot through the floor! Particularly, when "racing" Subaru Legacy's up hills.. they could pull a lot more RPM in third than I was willing to tolerate, so I "lugged" it up in 4th to beat them..
          Wayne,
          Oh yeah, spray bars work really well. I actually have a hard line already plumbed for it, and electrical. What catches me off is when I test here in MO, I climb up to ~7,500 DA and ramp up the RPM. But.. the outside air temp (OAT) is so much cooler I never have oil problems in testing. Reno creates such a unique environment, high DA and higher OAT's. Funny, if I were to race in the Bronze race, a few hours earlier in the day, wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem. I may rig up a spray bar for next year, just to be safe.

But, spray bars are sort of sacrilegious in my opinion, and why I have avoided it to the best of my ability. Yes, they work, and work so well. But... from the Keep It Simple Stupid perspective (which is ironic, because it is so much harder) I'm trying to keep it cool with just the air I have. I could give it more air, but at what cost. The goal is just enough air, but not too much, just right. Just right being barely below redline at the end of the race. haha

You know the other super easy fix is just back the mags off 2 or 3 degrees and bingo, no more oil temp problem. haha But who wants to do that? I ain't no sissy.. lol
          Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
            I really enjoyed the video, thank you (well done, too). One question - at one point, you said "Uh, ah, damn." Why? Was there some wake turbulence there?

Before reading Wayne's post, I was wondering much the same thing - would a larger oil cooler fit? If not, then a spray bar?

Again, thanks for the video - that's some impressive speed from 4 cylinders.
            Well, I already have 2 oil coolers plumbed in series. A 9 row and a 6 row. I don't see any more room for more, not without seriously increasing the complexity. Plus, 99.9% of my flying it is parked at 190-195. Only at Reno does it creep into the "ok how high do I really let this go" zone.

Here is an old photo, but it shows both oil coolers. Actually this is a terrible photo, everything is different now except the oil coolers. Oh well.. One in front of cylinder #2, and one on the firewall.

Glad everyone likes the video!
            Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
              Sorry forgot to answer this.

Actually I hit a really hard bump, I don't think it was wake turbulence. Maybe.. But that is usually a huge roll input you don't expect, not a bump so to speak.

I slammed my head on the canopy. I didn't really get hurt at all, but always feel terrible for the Canopy when I scratch it. That is one part of the airplane that I really try hard to take care of. That bump was a pretty hard bang, even though it really didn't show up on the video. I pulled my lap belt a little tighter around home pylon if I remember correctly. Well, as tight as the jewels would allow.
              Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Awesome!!! Thank you for posting!!

Comment

This may be the best video I've seen from 2014 (yes, I saw that clip of the red and purple airplanes on Saturday)

Comment

The best video of 2 014. Your narrative when you talk about things is so down to earth we can all understand it. Thanks.:
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Thanks very much! Glad you like it. It took me a while to finally get it edited, but sometimes that is worth it.
                      Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Cool video!

I'm curious, what are your CHTs doing?

Comment

Well, this is a poor graph, but you get the idea. EGT's on top, CHT in the middle, Oil Temp in Green, Fuel Flow in Purple.

I start the race with CHT's dropping. This is caused by the low power setting and high airspeed coming down the chute. The fuel flow shows my formation correcting. Then the race starts and everything climbs. I finish with the hottest CHT just barely ticking 400 degrees. Normal cruise CHT is 340-360 ish, redline by the book is 500. Although, 450 is a better redline in reality. Continuous operation over 400, maybe 425 is generally frowned upon with most Lycoming or equivalent. Although most RV's will go over 400 in a climb with the stock baffles.. 300 is the bottom end limit, and hard to stay above when in a cruise decent. Need to keep a little power on to keep it warm, which usually means your really hauling ass on the way down.

There is a small rise in EGT on about the 5th lap. This is when I went back up to 3,000 rpm, I was a little late adding some more fuel. Maybe a pylon or 2. But then got it back to best power.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine_Data_Graph.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	227871
                          Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Working...
                          X