Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

787 Dreamliner: OT but it's slow in here so..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 787 Dreamliner: OT but it's slow in here so..

Amazing clip! Saw one of these, unpainted, fly into PDX the other day. Actually only saw the approach over I-5 bridge. BIG airplane!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: 787 Dreamliner: OT but it's slow in here so..

That is amazing! I always wonder how an aircraft like a 787 would perform without passengers no cargo and about an hours worth of fuel.

Comment

British Airways started a daily nonstop between Heathrow and my local airport (Austin-Bergstrom International) last summer. I've seen it in the pattern now quite a bit (and no, takeoffs never look like THAT!). Its unmistakable for anything else because of how long, graceful, and flexible the wing is.

Comment

The power-to-weight ratio of an unloaded airliner is pretty impressive... =)

I was interested to see that it appeared they were flying with the ailerons reflexed (trailing edge up). I suppose they do that both to unload the tips structually and to add washout so that tip stall is less likely. Any way you slice it the aeroelastics of that wing are also impressive.

The practice session for the routine is fun too:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And of course the best part: Right. On. The. Centerline.
        Last edited by L.E.D.; 01-10-2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.D. View Post
          I was interested to see that it appeared they were flying with the ailerons reflexed (trailing edge up). I suppose they do that both to unload the tips structually and to add washout so that tip stall is less likely. Any way you slice it the aeroelastics of that wing are also impressive.
          Yes, the 787-9 has some interesting wing control features including "active boundary layer control." Maybe I'll bid it in a few years; it does seem like the kinks or bugs (mostly software related) have been removed now.

Comment

The best transports can be yanked and banked like an air knocker. Boeing builds that kind of airplane. All of the aircraft in the Boeing fleet fly great and the tails don't break off when you're a little rough with the rudder of fly in rough air. Nor do they have computer generated control law that is convoluted to the extent that pilots don't understand it after years in the jet.

If at aint a Boeing I'm not going...

Comment

Working...
            X