P-3 Fire Fighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-3 Fire Fighters

You are the people who will make this dream a reality! You are here because you have committed to use your energy and passion to save the P3 Fleet. By committing to text/post/tweet/email every day...

I'm not involved in this project although I do support it. We still use B-52s and we can't have Orions to help protect us?

Re: P-3 Fire Fighters

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/OrionAerialChampions/

I'm not involved in this project although I do support it. We still use B-52s and we can't have Orions to help protect us?
    It's all a matter of how Aero Union acquired them in the first place that shut the future pipeline off...or at least made using them extremely difficult. I looked into sending an application Aero Union's way when I got out of the canoe club many moons ago, and I have actually flown some of the lighter A-models with the upgraded engines (similar configuration to what the AU birds were) and I agree it would be a great platform. But I will also say this...flying it as a fire-bomber is a LOT more stressful than anything we ever did with them in service. Pulling more g's for sure. And while I'm not sure what the servicable load was on the AU planes, knowing the airframes as I do I would be a bit concerned about issues similar to the H&P C-130 that went down in 2002. All I can remember is when I was flying the A models with a construction date older than I was was "is my next hard landing the one that's going to snap the spar in half"?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      It's all a matter of how Aero Union acquired them in the first place that shut the future pipeline off...or at least made using them extremely difficult. I looked into sending an application Aero Union's way when I got out of the canoe club many moons ago, and I have actually flown some of the lighter A-models with the upgraded engines (similar configuration to what the AU birds were) and I agree it would be a great platform. But I will also say this...flying it as a fire-bomber is a LOT more stressful than anything we ever did with them in service. Pulling more g's for sure. And while I'm not sure what the servicable load was on the AU planes, knowing the airframes as I do I would be a bit concerned about issues similar to the H&P C-130 that went down in 2002. All I can remember is when I was flying the A models with a construction date older than I was was "is my next hard landing the one that's going to snap the spar in half"?
      Wasn't that C-130 that went down an A model with the three bladed Aeroproducts props on it? As I recall they had been grounded due to harmonics related to the props causing excessive fatigue in the spars. Not sure how they were even flying it in the states. Of course I've heard all of this second hand so I might as well be talking out of my poop chute.

Comment

The one that went down near Walker, CA was an "A" model , as was the one that went down near Littlerock, CA. I think those two incidents was the swan song for the C-130A bombers. The video of that incident still makes makes me shudder!

Kevin

Comment

Speaking of P-3 fire bombers...
          Off my front porch during the yearly burn (that hillside goes up every year) a few years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fire-08 006.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	227866
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

It would be good to see the former AeroUnion tankers back in the air. I know the west coast was stretched thin on tankers last summer. There were a couple big fires near me that had tankers flying down from Washington, and a few up from down south.

Its my understanding that the former owner of Aero Union bought the company and flat ran it into the ground with the intent to destroy the business. It wasn't a fault of the maintenance crews, air crews, or the planes themselves. Its my understanding that the P3 is a solid bird.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
              It would be good to see the former AeroUnion tankers back in the air. I know the west coast was stretched thin on tankers last summer. There were a couple big fires near me that had tankers flying down from Washington, and a few up from down south.

Its my understanding that the former owner of Aero Union bought the company and flat ran it into the ground with the intent to destroy the business. It wasn't a fault of the maintenance crews, air crews, or the planes themselves. Its my understanding that the P3 is a solid bird.

Will
              I'm not sure that it was done with 'intent'. As I recall, the new owners of AU reported themselves to the FAA that there had been some maintenance and inspection issues--whether they were ignored or signed off falsely. That led to the USFS cancelling the wildfire contract with AU. Six of the eight aircraft in the AU fleet were under contract at that time (the $30 million plus incentives) and that provided 95% of the company's operating budget.

It may have been mis-management, but I believe politics also played a part in that the USFS was favoring use of C-130's , and the P-3 didn't fit that mold. AU had to lay off all but 5 of their employees if I remember.

Could be wrong.

Comment

Nice shot Leo! That mountain is almost a yearly burn.
                Tony

Comment

Here is a podcast of what these guys are trying to do. http://thehangardeck.com/episode-14-...ng-p-3-orions/

Will

Comment

Here is a podcast of what these guys are trying to do. http://thehangardeck.com/episode-14-...ng-p-3-orions/

Will
                    I think one of their principals (Fyrebomber) joined last night..
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I was talking with someone who is one of the major players on FB and suggested he have a look over here knowing there are a lot of people who might support his cause, and perhaps be able to point him in the direction of other people who might support the cause.

After following a fire bombers group on fb for the past year, I get the idea that more large tankers would be very helpful. There were a couple times over the summer that the tanker fleet was stretched pretty thin. When tankers out of Madras are being called in to fight fires in the Bay Area or elsewhere in the state, it kinda says we need more. Unless we get a lot more rain this year, this summer is going to be worse than last year. Crowd sourcing the funds to buy the Aero Union planes seems kinda crazy at first, but when you stop and think that fires can affect everyone, it kinda makes sense for everyone to toss $10 or so their direction. Who knows, it might be your house that they are dropping retardant around so it doesn't burn to the ground.

Will

Comment

...asking for $5M in donations...

Posted on January 20, 2015

(scroll down)

Comment

$5M, Yep big number. Still, if everyone chips in $5, that number could be reached pretty quickly. Look at it this way, if people toss these guys $5, and there is a big fire that breaks out near their community, these guys come in and help protect the community, as well as their property. They can go anywhere, so east coast, west coast or anywhere in between. $5 to get these guys in the air seems like a good deal. Heck, people spend more than that on Girl Scout cookies.

Will

Comment

$5M, Yep big number. Still, if everyone chips in $5, that number could be reached pretty quickly. <snip>
                            So true! You guys have saved this site's and my butt a few times! As well as get Lockheed Bob and Larry Burton to RENO when they needed help... This is a much bigger thing here...

Sort of galls me though, that this sort of fight even has to happen. I hate over regulation and this sure seems like a bad case of that.

Somewhat off topic I just love the photos of the little "Smurf Jet" in air tanker colors!

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I chipped in $25. Nope, not a big donation, but its something. Lets help get the ball rolling. $5, and spread the word. No, this site alone can't generate the funds, but we can do our part and spread the word. The west coast is going to be in for another serious fire hazard summer, it would be good to get some more heavy tankers in the air.

Will

Comment

Working...
                              X