CZECH MATE 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CZECH MATE 2.0

As quite often happens when sitting around the shop talking airplanes, and air racers in particular, the subject of a "Dream racer" comes up. A friend of mine, Paul Rogalsky, is learning to use graphics software, and was able to create my dream racer.... Czech Mate 2.0.... The awesome little Yak mated to L39 wings & tail, and of course tip tanks to hold enough fuel to at least taxi to the runway

Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pt17av8r; 01-06-2015, 08:48 AM.

Re: CZECH MATE 2.0

Thank you for posting this!!

Comment

What goes around, comes around....take those drag-hog tip tanks off and it looks like Hugh's H-1. He created the H-1 in 1935?
      '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Glen, You immediately picked out the most important feature of the CM2.0! The tip tanks....

You see, those tip tanks would actually save air racing! Air racing is all about the fans. Without fans, things go kaput.

Let me explain:

1: Without he tip tanks, Sherm would get really hot in the cockpit when the fan stops spinning out front from lack of fuel.

My wet napkin calculates those thin L39 wings will only hold enough fuel for about 4 laps, hence the tip tanks

2: My wet napkin calculations indicate the tip tanks will add approx 7% drag in this configuration. It also says that CM2.0 will easily run a 550MPH lap. So, if it were not for the tip tanks adding all that drag, CM2.0 would be zipping around the pylons at a nice toasty 588MPH. Just think about that....what would it do to the competitors egos? Nobody would have a chance against CM2.0! So, the competitors would stop coming to the races And what happens if the competitors don't show up? Oh yea, the FANS don't show up! No FANS, no races

3: I am a HUGE fan of Air Racing, so that makes me a fan of tip tanks. Tip tanks are the savior of Air Racing!

Yes, Mr Hughes had it right back in 1935, except he just forgot the tip tanks!

Dan

NOTE: All calculations were done on a sophisticated BS1000 computerized napkin in a rain storm, without a pencil or napkin.
        Last edited by pt17av8r; 01-08-2015, 09:10 AM.

Comment

That is a sweet design!

Elliot and I had a great conversation a while back about CM, and it's possible improvements.

Comment

Paul is working on another "Pie in the sky" racer.... The P-153 "Herd"
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pt17av8r View Post
              OMG you have just blown the secret about what Sani-Hut has been working on!

Double Trouble has morphed into Triple Threat!

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That would have more intersection drag than the Pond Racer and would probably weigh three times as much. With three race motors it would probably be fast for about 90 seconds before it ran out of fuel and ADI. It seems there is a finite amount of fluid weight that needs to be carried and consumed to run very fast for the entire duration of the race, the folks that have figured out ways to do so with the most efficiency have also been the most successful. Just my $.02.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                  That would have more intersection drag than the Pond Racer and would probably weigh three times as much. With three race motors it would probably be fast for about 90 seconds before it ran out of fuel and ADI. It seems there is a finite amount of fluid weight that needs to be carried and consumed to run very fast for the entire duration of the race, the folks that have figured out ways to do so with the most efficiency have also been the most successful. Just my $.02.
                  Sani... where are ya man....
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

If turboprops are ever allowed..... The "GRAND AWESOME SUPER-DUPER AIR 9860".
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well, the cockpit areas of the "outrigger" fuselages would be available for fluids, wouldn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                        Well, the cockpit areas of the "outrigger" fuselages would be available for fluids, wouldn't they?
                        More than likely yes, but as far as I know the first order of business after taking off in a fully fueled P-51 was to burn off the fuel in the fuselage due to handling issues. Wonder how that would work out when multiplied by three, not to mention it takes a single highly competent pilot at a high level of concentration to monitor one engine at power and avoid other airplanes and not hit the ground and not cut a pylon. Search out the videos of the winners coming out of the cockpit after a Sunday gold win. I do appreciate neat looking design ideas, but what your suggesting should be left for internet racing simulators.
                        Last edited by knot4u; 01-11-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

You do realize that these are just for fun....right?

Comment

You do realize that these are just for fun....right?
                            Of course! I have debates like this with myself all the time.

More than likely yes, but as far as I know the first order of business after taking off in a fully fueled P-51 was to burn off the fuel in the fuselage due to handling issues. Wonder how that would work out when multiplied by three, not to mention it takes a single highly competent pilot at a high level of concentration to monitor one engine at power and avoid other airplanes and not hit the ground and not cut a pylon. Search out the videos of the winners coming out of the cockpit after a Sunday gold win. I do appreciate neat looking design ideas, but what your suggesting should be left for internet racing simulators.
                            In a stock P-51, sure. Burn down the fuselage fuel tank - located behind the pilot's seat - early to bring the Center of Gravity (forward) to a more stable position.

But that wouldn't be necessary here. That is, a fuel tank could be placed right smack in the middle of the C.G. range, but in the outrigger fuselages there wouldn't be a pilot seat or instrument panel in the way (as depicted, there are no cockpits in the outer fuselages, eh?).

Volume for fluids is important, no doubt. As I recall, Burt Rutan said the Pond Racer would have had smaller wings if he had another place to store fuel.
                            Last edited by FlyKidChris; 01-11-2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                              Of course! I have debates like this with myself all the time.

In a stock P-51, sure. Burn down the fuselage fuel tank - located behind the pilot's seat - early to bring the Center of Gravity (forward) to a more stable position.

But that wouldn't be necessary here. That is, a fuel tank could be placed right smack in the middle of the C.G. range, but in the outrigger fuselages there wouldn't be a pilot seat or instrument panel in the way (as depicted, there are no cockpits in the outer fuselages, eh?).

Volume for fluids is important, no doubt. As I recall, Burt Rutan said the Pond Racer would have had smaller wings if he had another place to store fuel.
                              How would you suggest managing the three engines and related systems? Perhaps the center fuselage could be based on a TF-51 and carry a Flight Engineer? I hope my posts don't come across as combative, I also enjoy good banter.
                              Last edited by knot4u; 01-11-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X