Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	241889Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	241890

Re: Love that BIG 'cat

(Finally, because I have been too lazy to post my own photo...)

Nice pics and I do love the big cat. So, can anyone tell me why Lewis (or whoever) flew with one notch of flaps on Fri and Sat? They were up all during quals and on Sunday, and I do not recall them down any previous years. I though it was a mistake at first, but to see them down for two days in a row goes beyond coincidence in my mind.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
      (Finally, because I have been too lazy to post my own photo...)

Nice pics and I do love the big cat. So, can anyone tell me why Lewis (or whoever) flew with one notch of flaps on Fri and Sat? They were up all during quals and on Sunday, and I do not recall them down any previous years. I though it was a mistake at first, but to see them down for two days in a row goes beyond coincidence in my mind.
      Going out on a huge probably impossible limb but maybe keeping Patrona a little slower would guarantee that Dawson (who flew Patrona) wouldn't have to fly RB and Patrona in the gold. Yes he could just back off the throttle but hey when you fly the Bear as well it's gotta be hard to keep the power down on the Cat
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Or that the increase in lift with the slight increased drag penalty was somehow beneficial...

Comment

I had not considered GRNDP51's hypothesis. It is possible the flaps would override the racer behind the straps. (It always cracks me up to see how many of these guys lean forward to help pull the plane around the course. I'd do the same thing.) Race results seem to show the flap down races were done around 325 mph, while the flap up race and qualifying was done at 342 and 358 mph respectively.

I thought of Tibia's hypothesis but felt the extra lift would not be too beneficial when navigating the 8 mile course at 350 mph. A smaller course may make the reward greater than the drawbacks. What adds to my curiosity is that I do not recall any previous race run by a Tigercat with a notch of flaps. Tigercat flight displays and air-to-air shoots all seem to have flaps up.

I guess I need to go buy a Tigercat and take it to Reno to see what this is all about... for science of course!
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
          X