WWII Lockheed P-38 Lightning Discovered on Welsh Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Lockheed P-38 Lightning Discovered on Welsh Beach

During the recent storms, a Lockheed P-38 Lightning fighter aircraft, presumed to be USAAF serial number 41-7677, emerged from the sand on a beach in Wales where it crash landed in 1942. The aircraft, largely intact and remarkably free of corrosion, is one of the most significant WWII-related archaeological discoveries in recent history.

The aeroplane’s last flight was on September 27th 1942 when the pilot, Lt. Elliott, departed an airfield on the North Wales Coast. As was standard procedure in the P-38, he took off using the reserve fuel tanks but forgot to switch to the main tanks after takeoff. Fifty-five minutes into the mission, the left engine lost power. Lt. Elliot misidentified the problem as propeller trouble and returned to the airfield intending to land. However, when he was two miles out and at 800 feet, the right engine quit. Unable to glide to the runway, he turned for the shore but didn’t make it and ended up landing in about two feet of water.

Lieutenant Elliott survived the crash unharmed. An Aircraft Accident Classification Committee of three officers found the cause of the mishap to be fuel exhaustion due to Lt. Elliott’s “carelessness.” The war came to an end and the aircraft was forgotten about until it was discovered recently by a walker on the beach.

As part of the efforts to salvage this vital piece of history, the Team at Skyonix were called upon to conduct an aerial survey of the aircraft and provide detailed images together with a photogrammetric 3D model of the wreck.

This was achieved using the SkyLift 800 UAV fitted with a 16MP camera. A complete series of high resolution images were obtained which have provided the most detailed record yet of this unique archaeological find.
    The aircraft lies some considerable distance from the main access points on a stretch of coastline close to Harlech although the exact location remains secret to prevent looting and disturbance to the site.

To provide further documentation of the efforts of the Survey Team, Skyonix produced a short video of the work being carried out.

This was filmed by a second UAV from Skyonix's ACE range of portable aerial camera equipment.

For more information, contact Skyonix Press Office

Re: WWII Lockheed P-38 Lightning Discovered on Welsh Beach

Great find (no pun intended) I want one of those camera platforms!

One of the nicest word press sites I've seen....
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is old news. Its also possible there is more than one p38 on a Welsh beach.

Will

Comment

Not clear from the skyonix site, but it looks like this got uncovered again:

Comment

If a millionaire wanted a P38, is it possible to build one today using modern computer machining tools and materials? Would that be cheaper than restoring what is shown in the video? Are there copies of the original blueprints available for the P38?

What are their plans for this one in the video? Do they want to recover it and restore it to flying condition?
          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 12-20-2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Dunno about a P-38 (Unless you count Glacier Girl, which was pretty much built up from a shadow), but Flug Werk was building complete new FW-190s (you may remember "What the ...." from Reno a year or so ago.) They were also offering complete "AP-51 Palominos" for a while - ("Please Do Not Use AP-51 parts on your P-51 Mustang.")

The AP-51 was significantly cheaper than a warbird P-51, as I recall (though you still had to come up with a Merlin for it.)

Anyway, I guess it didn't work out as a business for them:

As for the Maid of Harlech P-38; according to that TIGHAR link; someone has the salvage rights to the airplane and the plan is to recover and conserve it in a museum. I don't know how this recent re-discovery might affect that.

Comment

Working...
            X