Blue Skies: James McKinstry Yak Race 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Skies: James McKinstry Yak Race 0

It is with deep regret that I pass on the news I just received that our friend Jim McKinstry has lost his battle with a second round of cancer.. I got to "coach" Jim early in his throat cancer recovery... I'd survived it about 8 years earlier than he and could pass on hope of feeling better as time went on. I just learned that he had been diagnosed with brain cancer this past January.

I'm not sure of dates and details, sad news, indeed..

Blue Skies Jim!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Blue Skies: James McKinstry Yak Race 33

Sad News...I was amazed to see him working essentially by himself in 2012 to race...A couple of us from the SteadFast crew went over to help when we had time and he was very grateful...A very nice guy...Race#0 by the way.
    Last edited by johnnyrace; 11-30-2014, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Well ****.

Comment

We were in need of something more appropriate than my father's 1982 El Camino to push the T-6's around in Auburn, so I put an ad on Barnstormers. Turns out that Jim had a Clarkat project tug that would be just right. $1,500 later, it was on a truck from Colorado to California.
        We got it off the truck and it was a sad sight. I called Jim and he asked if the condition was as he had stated it was. "You said it was a real POS and you were right"
        I was able to source enought parts to get it running for the Races that September. Painted it with spray cans the night before departure (must be race week...). This thing had a hell of a time towing the T-6 uphill (did you know that the main ramp has a slope to it ? I didn't). My 4 year old boy nicknamed it "Old Smokey".
        It got thru the week and we dropped it at our truck repair shop in Sparks, NV. The mechanics spent the next 6 months doing a total restoration on it. It is still hard for me to believe it is the same tug. It currently wears the white urathane paint from the overhaul. Plan is to paint it to match the Sea Fury (85SF) when it is finished.
        Problem is that the first time we tried to tow the airplane formerly known as Critical Mass with it, we realized that it was way too small. Plenty of horsepower (26), but would not turn. So, yes, we have another (much larger) POS Clark tug in the hangar now.

One final story, I was pushing Tinkertoy up the taxiway (yes, it is a little bit uphill) to get from our hangar in Auburn onto the airport property one beautiful summer day. For some reason I was leaning out looking at the towbar and fell completely out of it. I laid on the asphault for a second thinking the tug would stall, but it didn't. Just kept chugging toward the runway. I wonder now if that was Jim's spirit taking it for a test drive.
        When I am driving it now, I will keep watch for Jim's spirit and let him drive it once in a while.

TJ Dwelle

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad + Gray on Tug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	227856

Comment

Reno 2012.
            Attached Files

Comment

Jim and I go back to the late sixties, After getting my PPL in 1966 he took me under his wing and helped guide me in my early flying career. He purchased a worn out Stearman and we took it apart and trailered to his house and he rebuilt it better than new. We enjoyed many wonderful flying adventures in it. We would go up in one of my old 170's and have a ball. He had a great career at UAL, did airshows in his Pitts and loved Reno racing. We tossed down a few cool ones also over the years. His son followed him to UAL.

The service was held at his hanger at the Longmont, CO airport Nov 22. There were around 300 + people there to remember him, have a cold one or two, and visit. I saw a lot of old flying friends from long ago. His Pitts and latest Yak were on display. He sure loved those old Yaks. At the start of the service a P-51 and Sea Fury flew over. Then a lot of fly-bys and last the missing man fly-by. While I was talking to his son several gray headed pilots came by and told him how his dad had helped them big time in their flying career at UAL. We stayed late and had several last toasts to Jim with his son. Sure going to miss that guy. Won't be the same for us in Reno. His last year there was 2012, in 2013 he and I were to sick to go and talked about missing Reno that year. This year he was worse and I was good to go so we made Reno this year with out Jim and his gang.
              Ron

Comment

At Reno 2012, I believe it was Saturday, Jim had to make an emergency landing. I'm not sure of the situation, but I think he wasn't sure if his gear was locked. He made an outstanding 'Bob Hoover' style landing, that was nothing short of impressive.

- Joseph

Comment

Sorry about your friend Wayne. Tough situation. Take care of yourself.

Frank C.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank C. View Post
                    Sorry about your friend Wayne. Tough situation. Take care of yourself.

Frank C.
                    The thing I regret most, I didn't follow up nearly enough with Jim after meeting him at John Penney's house.. I remember when I first met someone who had survived what I went through.. actually, it was Rod Lewis... you wind up talking a different language.. unless you've been in the radiation room, five days a week, for two months, you would not want to understand... Jim was suffering greatly having just come out of radiation and chemo... when I met him, I'd been several years out and things like saliva and being able to swallow were coming more naturally for me than for Jim.. Tough to try to describe the lingering after affects from radiation to the mouth and throat, eating and swallowing will be an ordeal for life.. I tried to let Jim know that as bad as it seems when you first come out of it, it DOES get better.. Never back to square one mind you, but better..

Again, what I regret is that I did not keep in closer touch with Jim and his lovely wife..

You touched many lives Jim McKinstry, you will be long remembered..

PS... I posted the original title with information I was sent via email. I think I got Jim's race number wrong.. Speedy, anyone.. please set me straight so I can correct the title if necessary....
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Jim's first Yak was #19. The last one he raced was #0.

Comment

Working...
                      X