Legacy N36XX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy N36XX

Does anyone know if the Patey brother's intend to bring N36XX to Reno?

Would love to see that one on the course!

EXTREME LEGACY

- Joseph

Re: Legacy N36XX

Does a Lycoming IO-780 fit within the sport class rules?
    I have no idea what it's displacement is?

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
      Does a Lycoming IO-780 fit within the sport class rules?
      I have no idea what it's displacement is?
      Yes, it fits and it has been tried. The limit in the current rules is 1000 cu in.

Comment

Yes, it does qualify, displacement limit is 1,000 in3.

Comment

Personally, I think that is the sickest Legacy around, and it sounds good too!

Comment

I asked them early last year and they said they planned to be at PRS and Race this past year. Plans changed I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              Yes, it fits and it has been tried. The limit in the current rules is 1000 cu in.
              Who has raced with a 780 so far?
              Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                Who has raced with a 780 so far?
                Kevin had one in Relentless a couple years back.

Comment

I believe that Relentless was a test bed for the platform, and there's another race-modified NXT that will also use the massive 8 cyl.

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                    I believe that Relentless was a test bed for the platform, and there's another race-modified NXT that will also use the massive 8 cyl.

- Joseph

Which one would that be? The one Andy is building now will have a turbo 540 in it. The French are building another diesel powered one. Those are the only two I know of that are under construction. There is one flying in Panama with a 780 but I don't think it will ever be raced. (It was built with the 780 and was flying before Kevin bolted one on Relentless)

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                      Which one would that be? The one Andy is building now will have a turbo 540 in it. The French are building another diesel powered one. Those are the only two I know of that are under construction. There is one flying in Panama with a 780 but I don't think it will ever be raced. (It was built with the 780 and was flying before Kevin bolted one on Relentless)
                      Think pink and white LOL yea I'm not sure about that one those are the only two I know of too. Don't think they would change Nemesis from what she's running on now.
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Not to split hairs here, but..

Kevin flew with a normally aspirated 720.
                        Ron in Panama has a twin turbo 720. (big turbo's too, like Reno type boost but he doesn't push it that hard)
                        The Legacy in question has the 780. Those are the same big cylinders found on the 390/580.

All super cool, but all a little different.

Aerochia is building another NXT now that I think will have some sort of biofuel engine and will attempt a bunch of FAI records. Raven NXT is what they are calling it.

The yellow #7 NXT is on Barnstormers now for $370k. It is a twin turbo 540.

So back to this Legacy. Talk about some cool stuff! And obviously a big budget. I thought they were going to do some distance records with it, hence the big winglets. Those may work waaaaay up high, but not at Reno. Plus it is probably pretty heavy. Either way it would be sweet to see them run it. I'd love to bolt on that Supercharger to my engine! That thing is sweet looking! Hope it works as well as it looks.
                        Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Hey Guys,

It was a pleasure working with Mike Patey last year. It is such a cool airplane and to see how hard he worked to get it there, it was awesome to see him leave with a couple records and a trophy.

A couple interesting details.

1. The 2000 km record that Mike Patey took down was previously held by Mike Melvill in the Catbird. Mike and Dick Rutan had drawn straws to see who would set which of two 2000 km records to demonstrate the aircraft. Dick set the same record in the lower weight class C-1b (<2200 lbs) two months before. Mike showed up at the Mojave Flyin to check out Patey's airplane and even attended the dinner where we presented Patey his trophy. Very cool.

2. For the 15 or so years that Catbird hung on the ceiling here at Scaled there was decal on the side of the fuselage. It stated simply the details of the two 2000 KM records held by the airplane. When they were hung on the Catbird they were the names of a couple very awesome Scaled/RAF pilots, but over time those names had grown a lot more significance, especially to young engineers at Scaled like myself. So it was really cool that our little event made it even a little bit easier for Zach Reeder (restorer of the airplane) to set that third record in the airplane, a record that has now been added in that simple text to the side of the airplane. A new member to a very esteemed group of talented and dedicated individuals. Congrats to Zach.

I have not heard whether Patey plans to attend the 2015 Mojave Experimental Flyin, but I would very much like to have him back to see what he has accomplished tweaking on the airplane over the last year. I can also think of a couple awesome airplanes that I would love to see challenge his records and others.

If you are interested in setting a record or contributing in anyway to the 2015 Mojave Experimental Flyin, please let me know.

Airplanes are cool,
                          Elliot Seguin
                          Wasabi Air Racing

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZachR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	227854
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0066.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	227855

Comment

Thanks for the information, good read!

I would love to be able to make it to the experimental fly-in next year! We'll see! Exciting things taking place down in the desert of Mojave!

- Joseph

Comment

Working...
                            X