B-29 wreckage, Bald Mountain Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-29 wreckage, Bald Mountain Alaska

I have been a lurker here for years but don't really post. I had to do some overtime up in Alaska back in September. I ended up landing on this hillside and while waiting for my crew I was taking some photos. I snapped a couple of photos of this odd object up on the hill. Once I could zoom in on my camera I noticed it was a tail of an airplane. After doing a little research it looks like this is the one. After flying up there a week it was amazing how many airplane wrecks are scattered around the mountains.. An internet search turns up a lot better photos from people who have taken ATVs up there. Enjoy

On December 26, 1956 took off from Elmendorf AFB piloted by Lt. Thomas H. Patton on a training mission and crashed into Bald Mountain in the Talkeetna Mountain.

Rico
    Attached Files

Re: B-29 wreckage, Bald Mountain Alaska

Thanks for sharing.

Jarrod

Comment

Rico,

The Internet is great for finding/researching and answering questions we have about things we discover in our travels.

Comment

I lived up in Galena Alaska for a couple years, and I remember hearing a lot of stories about all the P-39's and P-63's that bellied in due to fuel starvation near there. Galena was a "lend lease" stop over during WWII. When I first got there, I stayed in the same barrack the Russian pilots stayed in.

Race 29
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Working...
        X