Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SpaceShip2 Crash 1 Fatality 1 Survivor

Default SpaceShip2 Crash 1 Fatality 1 Survivor

Something went wrong during test flight today. Airframe destroyed.

Default Re: SpaceShip2 Crash 1 Fatality 1 Survivor

Does anyone know what website this topic is being discussed in detail? I'd like to hear how the survivor got out of it. What kind of condition is he in?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
    Does anyone know what website this topic is being discussed in detail? I'd like to hear how the survivor got out of it. What kind of condition is he in?
    I was thinking the same thing! Would like to know as well.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '21

spaceref.com, space.com and spacenews.com are all covering it, but the best I've seen is the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29864533

So did the engine explode causing the aircraft to breakup or did the aircraft breakup causing the explosion? I figured it was the first, until on the news this morning, an official stated an air frame breakup..........might have just been generally speaking. To early for anything definite. One thing for sure, they'll have lots of data in the way of telemetry and video to help out the investigation.
    Any updates on the pilot? All they say is severe injuries, and nothing else. My thoughts are with him and his family as well as the deceased's family.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    So did the engine explode causing the aircraft to breakup or did the aircraft breakup causing the explosion? I figured it was the first, until on the news this morning, an official stated an air frame breakup..........might have just been generally speaking. To early for anything definite. One thing for sure, they'll have lots of data in the way of telemetry and video to help out the investigation.
    Any updates on the pilot? All they say is severe injuries, and nothing else. My thoughts are with him and his family as well as the deceased's family.
    Brian
    The root cause is unknown at this point. It is also not known if the pilot who survived was able to jump out on his own, or if he was thrown out during the break up. Contrary to numerous media reports, Spaceship 2 was not equipped with ejection seats.

I think the best info was here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Virgin_Galactic_crash

I assume Seibold was the survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Brian
    Late last night BBC showed a series of photos that seemingly showed the airframe coming apart before the explosion. One photo shows a rudder off to the left of the main airframe and behind it on the flight path. Given the exhaust plume, they seemed to be in sequence. I am interested to know what actually happened....

NTSB just reported that a cockpit camera and telemetry data showed the co-pilot unlocked the feathering system prematurely, but did not move the feathering handle. Shortly after the booms moved toward the feathered position (I would assume due to aerodynamic pressure) and the aircraft began to break up. Telemetry showed the motor was running normally until break up started. The break up occurred just past mach 1.

I was watching the live coverage on CNN and they kept interviewing some crazy lady who was "closely related" to the program. I call B.S. on that.. But anyway, she through Scaled and Virgin Galactic under the buss immediately, continually making claims that the engine failed and it would never get them to space anyway, etc etc.. I really couldn't believe what I was hearing. She was nuts.

Now, to learn that initial reports describe a problem not related to the engine, I hope somebody brings up how wrong she was. It is a good lesson in assumptions, they make an ASS out of U and ME.