Guess what Year !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess what Year !!

Here's a quote from one of my racing books.

"Surely Reno, with executive material so plentiful, could allot a near full time man to bring in more sponsors and prize money for their glorious enterprise? Oil Companies, soft drink bottlers, brewers, the list of possible sponsors is endless. Everyone concerned would push and use the sponsors' products for the betterment of the world's fastest sport".

What year was the above statement made?

Seems like we are still talking about this.........an ongoing issue.

Brian

Re: Guess what Year !!

I'll take a wild guess....
    '67 ?

- J

Comment

Nope

Comment

I have no idea but I'm gonna guess '72.

On a similar note, last weekend I took my son and his friend up to a haunted house in Seattle. On the way back we decided to get ice cream at Randy's. If you're not familiar with Randy's, it's just South of the Museum of Flight next to Boeing Field. Randy's looks like it used to be a Denny's at one time. I don't know much of it's history but I've heard it's been a long time hangout for Boeing employees. The cool part is they have tons and tons of cool aviation stuff. Airplanes hanging on the ceiling, books, magazines, autographed pictures and posters, war stuff, etc. Most of the booths have random old aviation magazines and books you can thumb through while waiting for your food. At my booth there happened to be a November 1972 Sport Aviation magazine. It was really neat to look at all the old ads and pictures. Things like Bede ads and pictures of Rutan with the Variviggen. Something else that was cool was there was a 3 or 4 page write up about that years Reno Air Races. (I wish really wish they still did that in current Sport Aviation magazines.) One of the things in the article that caught my eye was that they had concern on whether they were going to be able to have the races in Reno again for '73. Something about it being too far away from populous areas and not being able to raise enough money. I guess some things never change.

Kudos to all those that have continually made it happen year after year!
        Last edited by boom3; 10-15-2014, 07:21 PM.
        Jeff

Comment

I'll have to check that place out next visit to Seattle. I have all my aviation magazine from the 60's up to current. I've never thrown one out. I have EAA Sport Aviation, Air Progress, Flying, Air Classics, around 1400 total. It is fun to grab an old one and take a look at the ads back then......remember the $5.00 intro Rides Cessna and Piper use to Advertise. I remember giving a few hundred of those over the years. By the way, if anyone is interested, I do have my magazine collection for sale.
          Oh ya, 1972 is not correct

Brian

Comment

Every year since 1964?
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

That's a good guess Leo....and probably some truth to it, but nope.

Brian

Comment

Ok, after thousands of responses to this question...........I'm sorry to say no one guessed the right year.......hence the prize will be held over to the next contest.

The answer is................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................"1973" taken from Racing Planes and Air Races 1973 Annual by Reed Kinert
                Better luck next time
                Brian
                Last edited by supercub; 10-19-2014, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X