Think about it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think about it!

I was at SF Fleetweek and one thought came to me. Within one hour of SF are 6-10 Unlimited racers. As a media event would it not be a good idea to have an air race demo in the fleetweek lineup?! The spectator numbers were insane!

Re: Think about it!

Good Idea

Brian

Comment

Aren't there more lenient rules with the FAA over water ?

Comment

I was thinking the exact same thing today.. Imagine a few high speed wing tip to wing tip passes and the kind of reaction that might get from the spectators. I was with someone today that had never seen the blue angels, let alone any fighter jet in the air, and they said the sound of them was the coolest thing.. That, and the high speed pass/sneak attack they do. Speed and noise are crowd favorites, and I think that could easily be translated to a few unlimiteds hauling ass over the bay. I'd love to see it!

Last edited by NOVA; 10-12-2014, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Yes, That would be a good idea. Unfortunately,Airshow Network runs Fleet Week and they are CHEAP. If they got their hands on the races they Would be all over promoting another of their own events at Fleet Week. You do NOT want them to take control of the races . I am sure that AN was hovering like a Vulture to slip in when all seemed lost. They pay for Nothing and expect that all participants and Vendors would have to come in FULLY SPONSORED.

My Two Cents !

Boss

Comment

Good idea, but only in demo mode without the fear of stressing equipment and creating mayday situations.

Reno offers several runway choices for maydays. There is absolutely no safe place to land there other than ditching in the bay.

A water ditching could even create risk with all the vessels on the bay watching this event.

The old Alameda Naval base runway may be possible, but??
            Last edited by Desertdawg; 10-13-2014, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
              Good idea, but only in demo mode without the fear of stressing equipment and creating mayday situations.

Reno offers several runway choices for maydays. There is absolutely no safe place to land there other than ditching in the bay.

A water ditching could even create risk with all the vessels on the bay watching this event.

The old Alameda Naval base runway may be possible, but??
              Who says you need to go out and flog them?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                Who says you need to go out and flog them?
                I said it on Facebook, but it's worth reiterating on here.

Leeward, Gibson, and Odegaard would put on a heck of a show at Airventure every year when they used to "race."
                The announcer played it up like they were actually racing, and so did the pilots. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
                  I said it on Facebook, but it's worth reiterating on here.

Leeward, Gibson, and Odegaard would put on a heck of a show at Airventure every year when they used to "race."
                  The announcer played it up like they were actually racing, and so did the pilots. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it.
                  It was a hit the year they did it at Chino with Strega, Dread, Argo, and Air Biscuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                    It was a hit the year they did it at Chino with Strega, Dread, Argo, and Air Biscuit.
                    That was very fun, it was also cool I think 2013 with Strega and 232 on display. Have voodoo Strega and sparky And one or two of the sanders furies on display or even in the air. Throw Steve H senior or John in a bearcat or yak to cruise around with them.

On another note, is the bear being torn apart or is it possible for her to attend events? Seems like this is the first year she might be well put together until next year.
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                    X