Why didn't Strega wait until Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't Strega wait until Sunday?

I am fairly regular to the forum and was fortunate to have been at the races again this year. In all of the discussions, I don't believe I have seen any report / discussion why Tiger didn't wait for Sunday to run his strategy?

While I felt going in that you are not going to beat Kerch, Strega is freaking FAST! The fact that I believe the whole race average was in the 490's, I got to believe they were both pushed up quite a bit of the race. For there to be that much overtake by Strega at the end would seem to indicate there was a bunch of available power. So why not use it Sunday? While Saturday was the best Unlimited race pair since the 80's with Tiger and Lyle and we all loved it, my friends and I could not believe Tiger's strategy versus a similar run Sunday.

As for how hurt the motor was, it sure didn't seem like they "burned pistons" as I first heard. Saturday night engine run would seem to support that. How bad the ADI damage was and if that motor was yanked in favor of the stock motor for the ride home (and sightings since), I don't believe I have seen posts that really clarify that either.

If that motor had that much and only suffered from operator error, man there seems to be potential for another great showdown. I admit I was apprehensive about Tiger's decision to return at that level. Man was I wrong. Tiger, you are a STUD!

Congrats to Bob, Kerch and Steve. Heartbroken for Lee and thankful for everyone else's safety. Thankful for this forum Wayne.

Re: Why didn't Strega wait until Sunday?

As to why we he didn't wait till Sunday; he wanted to put on a show, and he's been racing long enough to know that if the engine would break making that push, it certainly wouldn't have lasted Sunday's race.

From what I read, I'm pretty sure he did burn a piston. A couple people said they saw an orange flame out of one of the pipes during the night run, which would indicate something being wrong the that piston...

Comment

If Strega finished 2nd on Saturday, what position would Strega have started on Sunday?

Comment

Reminds me of a Bucky Dawson photo of Tiger that leaves little room for doubt on why........
        (well, it was in 1991, but it's still seems fitting)

WARNING - photo contains graphic language!
        link to photo

Yep - that's Tiger - always has been, always will.
        Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
          Reminds me of a Bucky Dawson photo of Tiger that leaves little room for doubt on why........
          (well, it was in 1991, but it's still seems fitting)

WARNING - photo contains graphic language!
          link to photo

Yep - that's Tiger - always has been, always will.
          Haha I love that photo!

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
            Haha I love that photo!
            There's a story behind that shirt, though. It was actually made up by Eddie Van Fossen's team that year after Al Goss in Warlock outqualified them. Eddie gave one to Al at the awards banquet too, after Eddie beat him in the final.

Comment

Why?? Because it's RACE'N

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                There's a story behind that shirt, though. It was actually made up by Eddie Van Fossen's team that year after Al Goss in Warlock outqualified them. Eddie gave one to Al at the awards banquet too, after Eddie beat him in the final.
                I knew there was a story that went with it - but I couldn't remember. Thanks Brad
                Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                X