Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recovering Aircraft from oceans, rivers, forests, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering Aircraft from oceans, rivers, forests, etc.

Ok so I saw this article today and wanted to ask a few questions to the more knowledgeable ones on the subject.

Lately I have seen plenty of recoveries and discoveries and it got me wondering, what is the advantage of taking this trashed airplane and restoring it, rather than just making a brand new one? Obviously I understand that it would then be considered a "replica", which I know I wouldn't want a P-40, P-47, you name it, "replica". We want the real deal! But then again, take the article, what can they take from that A-20 to put into a flyable version of it? Nearly everything will have to be redone! Can they "rework" the wings to make them functional without making completely new wings from scratch? Is it really just the data plate that makes an aircraft not a "replica"? I LOVE these discoveries and would one day like to be among some of these incredible wrecks and bring them back to life, but we all know the amount of planes in "ok" condition such as the A-20 is rapidly declining.

On another more fun note, do you guys think that there are any "perfectly original" planes that haven't been located? Is there a P-40 sitting in a barn somewhere that no one has discovered or is that nearly impossible? I mean come on, how many planes fought in WW2.... Thousands if not millions!!! And what about planes such as F-86's, F9F's, obviously some of these were wrecked but it seems only WW2 planes ever turn up? Hope this can turn into a fun conversation, like I said I LOVE this part of aviation, next to air racing restoration and recovery is one of my favorites.

I know there are some great books on it, just haven't come around to buying them yet, one of them has a bomber in some tall grass on the cover, knew the name of it a day or so ago and its slipping my mind right now.. Anyways I hope you guys can chime in!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Recovering Aircraft from oceans, rivers, forests, etc.

The biggest advantage is the BuNo plate. That makes all the difference from an 'original' and a reproduction.

There was a recovery effort a couple years ago for a bunch of Spitfires that were supposed to have been buried in their crates in Burma.
    Read the latest headlines, news stories, and opinion from Politics, Entertainment, Life, Perspectives, and more.

ed; The British reclaimed a Kittyhawk from the Sahara desert in Libya after Gaddafi was deposed.
    Last edited by Lon Moer; 10-10-2014, 01:36 PM.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Re: Recovering Aircraft from oceans, rivers, forests, etc.

Originally posted by lon moer View Post
      The biggest advantage is the BuNo plate. That makes all the difference from an 'original' and a reproduction.

There was a recovery effort a couple years ago for a bunch of Spitfires that were supposed to have been buried in their crates in Burma.
      Read the latest headlines, news stories, and opinion from Politics, Entertainment, Life, Perspectives, and more.

ed; The British reclaimed a Kittyhawk from the Sahara desert in Libya after Gaddafi was deposed.
      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nce-p-40-lost/
      I remember the P-40 one, now that was a cool find, hope the spitfires actually exist, wasn't that the problem with recovering them, the fact that they might not even be there?? Would love to see what "brand new" spitfires look like if it is all a legitimate story.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
      X