Precious Metal Deadstick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Metal Deadstick

Here's the inside view. Sorry about the camera gyro tumbling, but you get the idea of what happened. Some good, some bad, but definitely a learning experience. Truly amazing how she glides, even with full flaps, when the prop is feathered.

Let's just say I'm pleased about that system installation...

During a practice session this year we had a fuel delivery problem and the engine shut down stone cold around pylon 3. The Griffon propeller is notorious for...

Re: Precious Metal Deadstick

I had a friend years ago, that had a wheel fall off on a twin right after takeoff. Went to a military airport to land gear up. They foamed 2 thousand feet............once he had his touchdown spot made, he pulled the props into feather, took off like a shot, and over shot the foamed area.
    In light multi engine airplanes, loose one and it won't climb till you get rid of that drag.........one of those drag issues is the prop.........have to get it feathered.............even though we don't go thru feathering every time, we simulate "Zero Thrust" (feathered Position) by partial power. Usually a zero thrust is a published number in the aircraft flight manual...........sometimes published as a MP setting or RPM.........typically around 1700rpm or 15" if memory serves me...........but again, different for each airplane.................difference between windmilling prop and feathered, makes the difference if you're going to stay in the air on light twins. I always use the example of a windmilling prop is like putting a garbage can lid the same diameter as the prop out there in the relative wind............feather the prop, and you get rid of that much drag.
    In the video, looks like you touched down around the 3000 runway markings..........and going like a bat out of H%##. Good job getting her stopped. I have a friend that was down near the end of the runway..........he got out of the way, for second, he thought he might get run over.
    Glad it all worked out.
    Brian
    PS: I've watched the video several times concerning the "going wide" on Sunday..............I sure don't see a violation there.
    Last edited by supercub; 10-07-2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Is there an option to un-feather the prop? Seems like there would be in case the cause of engine failure was discovered and restart was in order. Would help with the braking for sure.............

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
        Is there an option to un-feather the prop? Seems like there would be in case the cause of engine failure was discovered and restart was in order. Would help with the braking for sure.............
        From experience on L-188 & L-382 yes. I would imagine little airplanes would be the same.

Comment

AWESOME JOB SIR.

Make sure nobody snuck in a GM ignition switch

Comment

Super mayday to landing Thom. I have never seen such a hair raising S turn to threshold sequence. Well done.

I believe I have video from the Fenceline. I'll try to edit and post it later.
            Bill Garnett
            InterstellarDust
            Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Considering you probably have never flown that airplane from altitude down to a RWY, with the prop feathered, Id say you did a great job with the dead stick. The crazy camera only made the video better too.

Dennis

Comment

Nice job! From the ramp it looked like you were almost out of runway, stark contrast to what options an un-feathered prop would have left you with.
                So what happened to cause it? There was a LOT of oil vented overboard when she was towed in.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell View Post
                  I believe I have video from the Fenceline. I'll try to edit and post it later.
                  And here it is... http://vimeo.com/109615146
                  Bill Garnett
                  InterstellarDust
                  Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell View Post
                    And here it is... http://vimeo.com/109615146
                    What can I say? Thom Richard is simply Great.
                    Looks so calm, so professional.
                    BTW I saw that B-24 Landing, with loud sound, it shook my blood!
                    Thank you for posting it.

Comment

Working...
                    X