Czech Mate wing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Czech Mate wing...

So what all went into the wing rebuild? Did they beef up the old wing, or just repair it. Was there any thoughts on changing the airfoil? With an optimized wing, I imagine it could be the one to beat. I understand that $$$ is probably the limiting factor, but it's fun to speculate.

Re: Czech Mate wing...

Originally posted by JetsareforKids View Post
    So what all went into the wing rebuild? Did they beef up the old wing, or just repair it. Was there any thoughts on changing the airfoil? With an optimized wing, I imagine it could be the one to beat. I understand that $$$ is probably the limiting factor, but it's fun to speculate.
    My understanding is beefed it up.
    Changing the airfoil would require extensive design and engineering changes.

Comment

That's the question I'd like answered,
      if money wasn't a factor, could you graft a new wing to it? (Like a Sea Fury, Bearcat, or Mustang wing?)

Comment

sorry for maybe OT, but does anybody know current status of Wildfire?

from what I understand she is the only Unlimited racer with completely new built airfoil?

thx
        Gibbs

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
          That's the question I'd like answered,
          if money wasn't a factor, could you graft a new wing to it? (Like a Sea Fury, Bearcat, or Mustang wing?)
          If done it would be better to find an airfoil that would be most efficient at race speeds and design a wing around it. The Yak is significantly smaller than other racers so it would be difficult/overkill to try and graft a wing on.

Also there are other wings out there that would be much more efficient. For example the Cornell racer uses t-2 Buckeye wings as aerodynamically they are far superior to airfoils designed in the 40's and 50's.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Here is a write up on the Czech Mate wing mod for the Mojave Flyin Experimenter Awards we did back in April.

If you can get him to do it Bryan Kreimendahl (son of Rodney Kreimendahl) does a fantastic talk about the mod, he gave the talk here at Scaled earlier this year. Bryan was a Skunk, worked at Northrop, and therefore has worked with some of the best in the business. He is passionate about structural design and it really comes through when he talks about this mod. It has been really great to see him become a member of the Czech Mate team and see the team take advantage of his tremendous background. What a cool airplane and what a cool mod!!

Airplanes are cool.
            Elliot
            Wasabi Air Racing

Below is one of Victor Archer's pictures of Czech Mate. My personal favorite picture of the airplane. I hope Victor (the alien) forgives me for the repost.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	1174598_10201359177175065_669904911_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	227832
            Last edited by laminar; 10-01-2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I`ve read that the 2014 Gold finished with: 1st place Voodoo at 462.926 mph
              and 2nd Czech Mate at 458.856, roughly 4 mph difference.
              I`m not an expert on this, but I would say it is not quite a difference. Looking from outside it does not justify a wing change by now. Surely the CM team is working on the way to improve the results. Let`s see the next.
              Good job Czech Mate team, congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
                I`ve read that the 2014 Gold finished with: 1st place Voodoo at 462.926 mph
                and 2nd Czech Mate at 458.856, roughly 4 mph difference.
                I`m not an expert on this, but I would say it is not quite a difference. Looking from outside it does not justify a wing change by now. Surely the CM team is working on the way to improve the results. Let`s see the next.
                Good job Czech Mate team, congratulations!
                2nd place sets the pace.
                In no way am I belittling CM and the teams accomplishments however they cannot run 480+ yet.

Comment

Seems to me the only mod that Czech Mates wing might need would be to allow for a longer main gear strut so they could possibly put more prop blade out there to make use of the engines output.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVibes View Post
                    Seems to me the only mod that Czech Mates wing might need would be to allow for a longer main gear strut so they could possibly put more prop blade out there to make use of the engines output.
                    The wing needs a better airfoil with a higher critical mach number just like the Bearcat could also benefit from... but regarding the prop- I've mentioned that also. I don't remember the exact details on the CM prop, although there was a lot of discussion when the current one was put on many years ago. IIRC its a modified Skyraider blade set, which means the blades have been shortened and the tips squared off, and some of the airfoil twist sacrificed to shorten them. As I understand it, those are hollow blades so you can't just mill up a new set, but ideally a set with an optimized airfoil including twist, swept tips, etc. (like Thom Richard did for PM) might allow better use of the engine without going to larger diameter. If there existed such a thing as a 5-bladed hub assembly that would work on the 2800, adding another blade would be another way to absorb and transmit the engine power in a smaller diameter package. None of that addresses the wing, but it might avoid having to alter the landing gear and that could conceivably allow the wing to be altered with leading edge extensions or similar methods, rather than a complete new wing structure.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                      ...a set with an optimized airfoil including twist, swept tips, etc. (like Thom Richard did for PM) might allow better use of the engine without going to larger diameter. If there existed such a thing as a 5-bladed hub assembly that would work on the 2800, adding another blade would be another way to absorb and transmit the engine power in a smaller diameter package.
                      Are there any contra-rotating gear boxes lying around for the 2800 these days?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVibes View Post
                        Would a wider prop blade (more chord) help? As far as I know (very little), the prop on Czech Mate hasn't changed much in recent years.

Still, I'm of the believe that the wing offers the biggest opportunity for improvement.

Comment

Working...
                        X