The future of voodoo and the team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future of voodoo and the team

2 years in a row winning the gold, three basically perfect engines (as far as we know) and none of them have busted in the past two years, if this keeps up can Bob and the crew consider this a profitable investment? I mean come on the first place payout HAS TO be enough to where winning the unlimited gold and not breaking your engine is a profit... If that isn't a profit now I clearly see why nobody is willing to race
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: The future of voodoo and the team

Not even close.
    Figure that engines are torn down and rebuilt. I believe some of the crew is paid full time (And rightly so), then you have a hangar for the off season, fuel, insurance, room and board at Reno and the list goes on.................

Comment

not to mention the machine work that went into zeroing the engine to airframe, constructing a New engine cowl and paint
      Last edited by thunderstangfan; 09-30-2014, 12:33 PM.
      Todd Smith

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
        Not even close.
        Figure that engines are torn down and rebuilt. I believe some of the crew is paid full time (And rightly so), then you have a hangar for the off season, fuel, insurance, room and board at Reno and the list goes on.................
        Well help me put a $ amount on each of these since rebuilding a Merlin I have no idea what the price of that is. And would they have to rebuild both the race engines or just the Friday, Saturday, Sunday engine?
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
          Well help me put a $ amount on each of these since rebuilding a Merlin I have no idea what the price of that is. And would they have to rebuild both the race engines or just the Friday, Saturday, Sunday engine?
          My guess would be around $750k. That's with both motors rebuilt and all of the off season work. In other words if they won the entire purse for this year, they would still come up short....

Comment

Hrmm, I don't have a definitive $ amount for just a rebuild/go-through but lets say parts, machine work and labor are 50k for each.

Then add:
            Hotel and Food for crew
            Rental cars
            Airfare (if needed)
            Fuel
            Insurance
            Registration
            Hangar for off season
            Cost of employed mechanics
            (I'm sure I missed some things)

I have heard that if a week goes perfectly and gold is won that the winner is still very upside down from the prize money.

Comment

I have heard that if a week goes perfectly and gold is won that the winner is still very upside down from the prize money.

"Take that, NASCAR"

Comment

Hrmm, I don't have a definitive $ amount for just a rebuild/go-through but lets say parts, machine work and labor are 50k for each.

Then add:
                Hotel and Food for crew
                Rental cars
                Airfare (if needed)
                Fuel
                Insurance
                Registration
                Hangar for off season
                Cost of employed mechanics
                (I'm sure I missed some things)

BEER DAMIT, BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Don't drink the Kool Aid. They did not have three engines to play with this year regardless of what was put out.

Comment

IMHO I would say the next step with Voodoo would be to go for the absolute speed record. Steve Sr. held it in the Baron...why not give SteveO the chance to do this as well.

Jim

Comment

Yeah, this would be amazing!

Gibbs

Comment

Originally posted by Harley909 View Post
                        IMHO I would say the next step with Voodoo would be to go for the absolute speed record. Steve Sr. held it in the Baron...why not give SteveO the chance to do this as well.

Jim
                        There seems to be no desire to break Bear's record (I'm assuming that's the one you're talking about), even though there has been (and still is) several planes I believe could beat it...Dago could have certainly bested it, as well as Strega and Voodoo...

Comment

The Bear record is retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                            The Bear record is retired.
                            3km is currently held by Will Whiteside and Steadfast.

Comment

Yes, both Lyle Shelton's 3km and Time to Climb records have been retired, but his incredible accomplishments are what any future record will be compared with.

Comment

Working...
                              X