If Rare Bear can do 528...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If Rare Bear can do 528...

I got ahold of Ken Robertson today and asked if he might be interested in coming on here and sharing his thoughts on the 3 km. Ken was crew chief on Dago when Frank Taylor owned her and was the designated pilot when they went after the record in Colorado in an attempt to land Coors as a sponsor in August of 1984. Ken might be able to relate why more teams DON'T try and why it's not as easy as just showing up and doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      I got ahold of Ken Robertson today and asked if he might be interested in coming on here and sharing his thoughts on the 3 km. Ken was crew chief on Dago when Frank Taylor owned her and was the designated pilot when they went after the record in Colorado in an attempt to land Coors as a sponsor in August of 1984. Ken might be able to relate why more teams DON'T try and why it's not as easy as just showing up and doing it.
      Thanks 'Big'
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Here is a link to revisit the topic from many years ago. No disrespect from the current efforts, but Lyle was cut from a different cloth.

Sub under, sub under..... Edit, grampi is in there too! 8 years later he's still beating that dead pony - geez man.......

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
        Last edited by Box A35; 10-06-2014, 10:54 PM. Reason: dead horse gif

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
          That would be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Box A35 View Post
            Here is a link to revisit the topic from many years ago. No disrespect from the current efforts, but Lyle was cut from a different cloth.

Sub under, sub under..... Edit, grampi is in there too! 8 years later he's still beating that dead pony - geez man.......

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/print...p?t=3855&pp=10
            When so many planes today are capable of besting the record, I don't consider it a dead horse...

Comment

To divert the topic a little here...what does it mean that the record is "retired?" Does it mean that FAI is no longer accepting challenging times and therefore you can't "officially" beat Lyle's record?

And if so...why'd they do that??

Comment

Nevermind...I see it is here:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Comment

Does anybody know what the practice speeds were on a record attempt in biscayne bay a long while back?

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                    Does anybody know what the practice speeds were on a record attempt in biscayne bay a long while back?
                    What aircraft?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                      What aircraft?
                      Anson Johnson tried down in that region in 1952.

Whittington tried at Sebring in 1991 or so.

Comment

Here's the plane........a scoopless mustang.

I think this one had the potential at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                          Here's the plane........a scoopless mustang.

I think this one had the potential at one time.

That one is still around and being restored to static display. Its on the east coast.

Will

Comment

Brad,
                            Are you still writing on these forums?

To the topic, though I don't know why I am doing it (maybe because I haven't posted in a year), usually the teams that intend to set the record get prepped and then have a failure that prevents the follow through. Rare Bear under Lewis in the 2012 is a good example, Skip test flew the airplane to record speeds, there was some kind of failure on the Jon flights, engine ruined, attempt not feasible.

I never heard about the Strega attempt, figured the engine was either damaged or didn't have the dough to use it twice once it was rebuilt.

You also have to have a viable venue at high elevation, Las Vegas was the highest yet, higher than Tonapah, that was higher than Edwards. Lake Garda is real high too, the 1934 record for floatplanes still stands.

Lyle told me that the record was almost exactly like running the race at Reno regarding time, fuel burn/water use/etc and the turns for return to the course as well as pilot stress and endurance while attempting a perfect line to return to the course each time. Lyle did it twice in two days. Oh, dollars expended too.

Frank Taylor explains how he left a lot of speed on the table when blowing a turnaround maneuver during his 15KM attempt.

Chris...

Comment

Working...
                            X