Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Unlimited racing over or just stumbling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Unlimited racing over or just stumbling?

Originally posted by mrcraigarcher View Post
    So, you're saying we need taller pylons?
    Wait till we have the electric powered drone races, if you want to see some g-forces in the turns...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Reno_Steve View Post
      The Sports class is edging into unlimited territory already and it would not be much of a step to design one to win the unlimited class.

"Is this supposed to be a joke? "

I do not mean an aircraft built to Sports rules, but one built with a composite streamlined airframe powered by probably a Merlin or a modern equivalent. The days of the 1940-50 Warbirds being the fastest racers will eventually end, and it will be good for the sport as it will show progress has been made.

Comment

Originally posted by Reno_Steve View Post
        I do not mean an aircraft built to Sports rules, but one built with a composite streamlined airframe powered by probably a Merlin or a modern equivalent. The days of the 1940-50 Warbirds being the fastest racers will eventually end, and it will be good for the sport as it will show progress has been made.
        I don't think there is a "modern equivalent" to the Merlin. While I would like to believe your statement above is correct my gut tells me it isn't. There simply is not enough interest (read market) in piston powered aircraft to develop new engines and airframes that will surpass the performance of those developed during WW2. I guess it is possible we may see one or two new designs, such as Shockwave and/or American Spirit, but I doubt there will ever be enough of them field a full race class. And it seems at this point there is a good chance that even those mentioned will never be completed. My .02 cents of course.

Comment

Also, the fact that these warbirds are running at speeds in excess of 500 mph is a lot of what draws people to the races. New age racers doing the same thing doesn't hold the same nostalgia...I know I wouldn't be interested in the sport without the warbirds...

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
            I don't think there is a "modern equivalent" to the Merlin...

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
              Who knows what the attendance records and the financial status is for this year, compared to past years?

How about the financial status of the organization? Is that public information?

Does anyone here sit on the Board of Directors or Planning Committee where they have a better idea of what it happening financially? How much do they have in reserve? Can they continue? Are they operating at a profit or loss?
              Rara is a tax exempt organization. They file their taxes the following September so no one actually knows what they made or lost. They don't tend to hand out data. You can go online now and see last year's claim on their tax return through the freedom of information act. I have last 3 years and it costs something like 10.00 to get I think. Bottom line is you won't get the bottom line from them and you wait a full year to see what their claim to the IRS is. It's like a magic show , its all smoke and mirrors. You will see however what they declare in sponsorship money which is interesting. With minimal money spent on advertising this year and going very spartan everywhere else I'd say it's still questionable if they made anything. The gate appeared light this year except Sat and Sunday. Bottom line is its not a good time for air racing organizations. It will be interesting to see what they spent on insurance this year as well. That is a big number these last few years. Hopefully the economy will improve and more racer will reappear. At the rate they are going however it does not look very healthy. The question will be if they can stick out the short fall for a couple more years. It has been said that one of their big sponsors has agreed to float the event through the tough times. If this is true then there might be a few years left in the old girl yet. I would not bet the farm however. This year's management of the event was strange at best. We heard a lot of claims of a new marketing company to take them over the top. Never heard a word. Then there was the claim of making it a entertainment extravaganza with live music and entertainment for the after race crowd. Never saw that either. The only entertainment we really had was Tigers Sat. Race where he was flying formation with the airlines going in and out of Reno International and still pulled a win out over Voodoo. That goes to show how fast Race 7 is over Voodoo. Bottom line is time will give us answers to all things. Sport class is definitely the up and coming class to watch. It is basically still affordable and has a lot of room for improvement in speeds. To assume they have another 100 MPH to compete with the fast unlimited is pretty amusing. You could no doubt build something that might go as fast in a straight line. The problem is liquids to go 8 laps. It is still a formula that will be very difficult to break. A yak is about as small as you can get and carry the liquids necessary to power the horse power to go fast and go eight laps. Sorry to burst any bubbles out there. I also had someone just inquire on why I didn't beat Steve last year having a faster plane. It simply came down to a broken rocker arm on lap two of the race. Down one hole I didn't have the obvious power Tiger had this year. He anxiously had a Tiger by the tail. Strega is still the fastest plane on the course. You notice I didn't say in a straight line.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                Rara is a tax exempt organization. They file their taxes the following September so no one actually knows what they made or lost. They don't tend to hand out data. You can go online now and see last year's claim on their tax return through the freedom of information act. I have last 3 years and it costs something like 10.00 to get I think. Bottom line is you won't get the bottom line from them and you wait a full year to see what their claim to the IRS is. It's like a magic show , its all smoke and mirrors. You will see however what they declare in sponsorship money which is interesting. With minimal money spent on advertising this year and going very spartan everywhere else I'd say it's still questionable if they made anything. The gate appeared light this year except Sat and Sunday. Bottom line is its not a good time for air racing organizations. It will be interesting to see what they spent on insurance this year as well. That is a big number these last few years. Hopefully the economy will improve and more racer will reappear. At the rate they are going however it does not look very healthy. The question will be if they can stick out the short fall for a couple more years. It has been said that one of their big sponsors has agreed to float the event through the tough times. If this is true then there might be a few years left in the old girl yet. I would not bet the farm however. This year's management of the event was strange at best. We heard a lot of claims of a new marketing company to take them over the top. Never heard a word. Then there was the claim of making it a entertainment extravaganza with live music and entertainment for the after race crowd. Never saw that either. The only entertainment we really had was Tigers Sat. Race where he was flying formation with the airlines going in and out of Reno International and still pulled a win out over Voodoo. That goes to show how fast Race 7 is over Voodoo. Bottom line is time will give us answers to all things. Sport class is definitely the up and coming class to watch. It is basically still affordable and has a lot of room for improvement in speeds. To assume they have another 100 MPH to compete with the fast unlimited is pretty amusing. You could no doubt build something that might go as fast in a straight line. The problem is liquids to go 8 laps. It is still a formula that will be very difficult to break. A yak is about as small as you can get and carry the liquids necessary to power the horse power to go fast and go eight laps. Sorry to burst any bubbles out there. I also had someone just inquire on why I didn't beat Steve last year having a faster plane. It simply came down to a broken rocker arm on lap two of the race. Down one hole I didn't have the obvious power Tiger had this year. He anxiously had a Tiger by the tail. Strega is still the fastest plane on the course. You notice I didn't say in a straight line.
                Great Post Matt. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X