Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Unlimited racing over or just stumbling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Unlimited racing over or just stumbling?

Hope to get some good feedback from this one,

Is Unlimited racing totally over or is it just somewhat stumbling along and will figure itself out?

I thought this year was going to be the return of the crazy "nobody knows what is going to happen" year. With 6 highly competitive Gold planes I thought it would be. Now looking at it and Voodoo still being the victor, maybe it's not going to change as much as I hate saying it.

1. Rare Bear is not "back" but rather "broke" with no intent of being fixed by Lewis' crew.
    2. Czech Mate has reached basically the limits it appears, of what can be done with that airframe.
    3. Who knows when Strega is coming back, I think it needs a new owner with a lot of cash to field it with a qual engine and race engine, have Tiger fly it.
    4. PM is going to be a contender someday, hopefully we will see that day, give it time.
    5. 232 is a contender, they just need 2 full race engines to guarantee that.
    6. Dreadnought, never going to win unless the Sanders convert it to a "Furias"
    7. Argonaut, potential to be a 232
    8. Sawbones, potential to be a 232, seems like this is somewhat possible but I still doubt it.
    9. Miss America, last I heard was that when she does come back it will be a Super Stang Miss America, who knows.
    10. Maybe the bug will bite Tobul harder and he will invest in a race plane.
    11. Dago Red, Furias, Miss Merced… They all need to come back.

AND A SPONSOR TO MAKE THE BENEFIT OUTWEIGH THE COST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jeez, we even need to fix the FAA after this year.

It's falling apart and I'm not liking it… I think Voodoo is unstoppable for the next 5-10 years if nothing changes.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Is Unlimited racing over or just stumbling?

1: It is fixed, Just ask
    2: Not called the giant killer for nothing, only flew a few weeks before Reno.
    3: Next year
    4: Huge unknown, best potential in the field.
    5: Kablooey, Would need a trailer full of QEC's, and there aren't enough slow turn nosecases to make that reality.
    6: Why screw with a podium finisher you can fly your wife home in.........
    7: Not with a 2800
    8: No point in doing the mods.
    9: When it's on the ramp..............
    10: Investing millions to end up with something worth half what you started with?
    11: Dago has the best potential, But if bought tomorrow would be 2yrs out.

Comment

Unlimited racing will change as the supply of war birds which people are prepared to race dries up.
      The Sports class is edging into unlimited territory already and it would not be much of a step to design one to win the unlimited class.
      This has been talked about for years and there have been a few attempts in the past. Everyone knows it will happen eventually but it may take a few more years before we actually see it. By then electric aircraft might have the capabilties and if the rules allow it we will see them race and win.

Comment

As thrilling as Tiger's comeback was- he's smart enough to realize he's not 40 anymore- he's retired again. He had his hands full flying that airplane. Glad to see it, glad he's ok and hope he's done for good. I also heard other critical things from the highest level about how challenging this was for him- which I'll keep my mouth shut on.

Comment

Unfortunately, I see the unlimited class either going away, or converting to different types of planes due to the scarcity and cost of keeping the warbirds racing...until then I see Mustangs dominating...planes like the Sea Fury and Yak will never be as fast as the Mustangs, and sadly, I don't ever see Rare Bear returning to it's old glory days...

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
            ...and sadly, I don't ever see Rare Bear returning to it's old glory days...
            I believe that we will see Rare Bear running fast and strong again. The Ezell team is still learning her cantankerous ways, but based on their many successes over the now many years, I believe she's in good hands.

Rod Lewis is a very smart man; I believe he's chosen well. And we should all be grateful for the air force he's been bringing to Reno - I know that I am.

I'm wondering if Mr. Lewis has any interest in the Sport Class...
            Last edited by FlyKidChris; 09-24-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
              He had his hands full flying that airplane.
              Yep, far as I could see, he had his left hand full of throttle, his right, full of stick... while he showed everyone how it USED to be done.. an absolutely classic demonstration of the "lost art"....

Geezuz guys, get off the old guy $hit already! You really get a good look at Tiger's bod when he's running around? That sucker's got more muscle in one of his legs than a lot of you thirty somethings have in your entire body.... that tough sombitch will be around a lot longer than a lot of us younger than he!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I was in a group of about 15 people down at the east end of the Runway. After Tiger had shut down Strega following the Mayday, he came over to us. Two things that stuck in my mine that he said was, in all of the Races he had been in, that was the roughest one, turbulence wise. hence the higher then normal racing altitude. He said it was the first time, he actually put both hands on the Stick. He also said, he had a little left...........power wise.

Comment

Who knows what the attendance records and the financial status is for this year, compared to past years?

How about the financial status of the organization? Is that public information?

Does anyone here sit on the Board of Directors or Planning Committee where they have a better idea of what it happening financially? How much do they have in reserve? Can they continue? Are they operating at a profit or loss?
                  Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                    Who knows what the attendance records were for this year, compared to past years?

Does anyone here sit on the Board of Directors or Planning Committee where they have a better idea of what it happening financially?
                    Last question first.. I do not believe so..

It is, as far as I know, available for public view.

Attendance records are not readily available if previous experience prevails.. I'll say from a visual standpoint, looking from an entirely different view angle than usual.. (I was covering the show from a different perspective, so looking up at the stands a lot) I saw a lot of empty seats, even more, lots and lots of empty boxes...

I'll try to get figures if possible..

Good question, usually asked each year and I maybe drop the ball each year and figure someone will lay the figures on my lap... guess I gotta do some digging..
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                      Who knows what the attendance records and the financial status is for this year, compared to past years?

Does anyone here sit on the Board of Directors or Planning Committee where they have a better idea of what it happening financially? How much do they have in reserve? Can they continue? Are they operating at a profit or loss?
                      The only definite piece of information in this respect I know was what Mike H said during one of the morning media briefs in 2013: He said the city of Reno had signed on to support the event for 5 more years, and last year was year one. That would make this year number 2- or three more years of city support promised. From the implication of how things were said, it sounded like the event loses money....but brings money into town.

I spent a great deal of time trying to chase down demographics over the last year, and was told repeatedly that attendance for 2013 was ~70,000 people. The stands looked more empty than that this year on every day. Waiting to hear numbers for this year.

From what I could tell, this year many of the people in the organization had their hands full just trying to make sure the event happened. Can't say anything bad about folks who are trying to get it all done.

Comment

Originally posted by Reno_Steve View Post
                        The Sports class is edging into unlimited territory already and it would not be much of a step to design one to win the unlimited class.
                        Is this supposed to be a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                          Is this supposed to be a joke?
                          Yeah, I think it takes a whole lot of technology to get from 400 to 500 MPH.
                          Just to go from 100 to 200 MPH, the airframe has to be about four times stronger, as an example... we would hate to shed parts along the way...
                          and to go 500 (or just under it), for 6 or 8 laps, takes a whole lots of liquids...

Heck, I'd venture to say that if you can go 500 MPH around Reno, you could get 550 or so in a straight line, if you go up a little higher in the sky. Reno is about 5100 ft., as I recall.
                          Last edited by toldjaso; 09-28-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                            Yeah, I think it takes a whole lot of technology to get from 400 to 500 MPH.
                            Just to go from 100 to 200 MPH, the airframe has to be about four times stronger, as an example... we would hate to shed parts along the way...
                            and to go 500 (or just under it), for 6 or 8 laps, takes a whole lots of liquids...

Heck, I'd venture to say that if you can go 500 MPH around Reno, you could get 550 or so in a straight line, if you go up a little higher in the sky. Reno is about 5100 ft., as I recall.
                            So, you're saying we need taller pylons?

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post

Attendance records are not readily available if previous experience prevails.. I'll say from a visual standpoint, looking from an entirely different view angle than usual.. (I was covering the show from a different perspective, so looking up at the stands a lot) I saw a lot of empty seats, even more, lots and lots of empty boxes...
                              On Sunday, our reserved section in the stands was shockingly empty. I kept wondering when everyone else was going to arrive....

Comment

Working...
                              X