Nut Tree Mustang Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nut Tree Mustang Days

That shot is awesome! I'd love to have the chance to fly on a B25, or for that matter just go flying in anything. A quick hop around the pattern in a Cessna 150 would make my day.

Will

Comment

A long time friend, and USS Hornet docent, and former aviator is bringing this to Mustang Days!
      Should be one of the better shows yet!
      Warbirds45

Comment

Since the car show is open to all makes, I'll be bringing this

Will

Comment

Merlins Magic this morning.

Will

Comment

Read via facebook that 5 Stangs couldn't attend??
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Apparently Diamondback was on its way down but had to turn back due to magneto issues. Comfortably Numb and Red Dog were no shows, Eddie Andreini's P-51 was a no show, but his Yak was there. The H model was there also. It wasn't a bad show, but it was a bit thin on P-51s. I think the heavier planes couldn't attend because the runway was shortened temporarily due to construction. The B25 couldn't fly because of it.

From the sound of it, the show might take a hiatus next year. It sounds like guy who puts it on needs either a break or some help to make it happen.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                Apparently Diamondback was on its way down but had to turn back due to magneto issues. Comfortably Numb and Red Dog were no shows, Eddie Andreini's P-51 was a no show, but his Yak was there. The H model was there also. It wasn't a bad show, but it was a bit thin on P-51s. I think the heavier planes couldn't attend because the runway was shortened temporarily due to construction. The B25 couldn't fly because of it.

From the sound of it, the show might take a hiatus next year. It sounds like guy who puts it on needs either a break or some help to make it happen.

Will
                Sounds like it has awesome potential, I'll have to make it up there one year
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

It does have lots of potential. Two years ago there was a very good gathering of Mustangs. I think there were 10 of them, as well as a P40, a B25, a herd of Thunder Mustangs, Air Biscuit, as well as some nice classics.

This is my album from 2012. https://www.flickr.com/photos/473099...7637279613093/ I think 2012 was the best yet. Its worth checking out.

Will

Comment

A couple more of my shots from this weekend

Will

Comment

Nice stuff, please sir, may I have another?

Keep it coming, please! This is an "airshow" that I've wanted to attend for twenty years.. Going to set aside the weekend next year, good friend has a "Nanza" and it would not take much time to get there from here.

Who needs a rental car and a room! Have tent, will travel!

Err... can you sleep under the wing there? Or, is there affordable lodging within walking distance?

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I actually was a little disappointed.
                        It was a nice quaint local airshow that had a couple Mustangs show up, two D's which stayed parked an the H that did some flyby's when it arrived and later after a couple hours. Their were some beautiful classics though.
                        But when the show was promoted as a "Mustang Show"..........

I did talk to Coutches for a few minutes about their Bearcat, but he was quickly annoyed.

ed; I did see RAD2LTR's Roadster.
                        Last edited by Lon Moer; 10-21-2014, 11:28 AM.
                        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

There were a few things that hampered the show this year. One of which was the fact that the date got moved at least 3 times due to other shows happening or not happening. Also there was construction going on at the North end of the runway that removed 900 feet (I think) from the north end. That is why the B25 didn't fly, they didn't have enough runway. The construction was supposed to be finished two weeks ago, but they just started last week so that likely kept bigger planes like the Harpoon and such from showing up. Yes it was too bad that 3 of the Mustangs didn't make it. I'm not sure why Sparky didn't fly. Two of the Thunder Mustangs that have been regulars in the past are no more, so obviously they weren't there. Eddie Andreini was killed, I'm not sure why his son brought the Yak up and not the P-51. I get the idea that there were a lot of logistics that just didn't work out for whatever reason. I also get the idea that the show is mostly a one person operation, and it kinda sounds like he could use a little help.

Its not a bad fly in. For the most part the people who bring their toys out are friendly and approachable. The crowd seem to enjoy what is there as well. If you look through the pics that I posted in the link from the show a couple years ago there has been a good collection of Mustangs in the past.

This could be another venue to promote air racing. Its up close and personal with the planes so if there were a good gathering of racers and former racers, that could be pretty exciting. You must admit, looking at a stock P-51 is cool, but then looking at Voodoo or Strega next to it really allows the crowd to see what all is done to make a racer fast. With Argo, Dreadnought or even 924 there, again more variety. I noticed quite a few people comparing Merlin's Magic with Sparky, the clean wings on MM is a pretty noticeable thing (Why are the guns gone on this one? Why are the wings are so smooth? ) Many people were shocked to learn that both of them are racers and there is such a thing as air racing. If a few of the teams show up with a table to sell shirts and talk about racing, the public will notice. Heck, I got word from someone who was trying to talk air racing with the people selling the Sparky shirts, and the people selling the shirts had no clue about anything. Its a chance for all the classes to show up and show off what they are about. It would be great to see some people from the IF1, biplane, sport, T6 and unlimiteds there. Heck, bring a couple of the jets in as well. If the sport wants to grow, the stars need to come out and be seen more often. This is a perfect venue to do it. Yes its small, but if word gets out that cool stuff shows up, people will come out and check it out. Heck, its dirt cheap, you can't buy lunch for what it costs to park and enter.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                            There were a few things that hampered the show this year. One of which was the fact that the date got moved at least 3 times due to other shows happening or not happening. Also there was construction going on at the North end of the runway that removed 900 feet (I think) from the north end. That is why the B25 didn't fly, they didn't have enough runway. The construction was supposed to be finished two weeks ago, but they just started last week so that likely kept bigger planes like the Harpoon and such from showing up. Yes it was too bad that 3 of the Mustangs didn't make it. I'm not sure why Sparky didn't fly. Two of the Thunder Mustangs that have been regulars in the past are no more, so obviously they weren't there. Eddie Andreini was killed, I'm not sure why his son brought the Yak up and not the P-51. I get the idea that there were a lot of logistics that just didn't work out for whatever reason. I also get the idea that the show is mostly a one person operation, and it kinda sounds like he could use a little help.

Its not a bad fly in. For the most part the people who bring their toys out are friendly and approachable. The crowd seem to enjoy what is there as well. If you look through the pics that I posted in the link from the show a couple years ago there has been a good collection of Mustangs in the past.

This could be another venue to promote air racing. Its up close and personal with the planes so if there were a good gathering of racers and former racers, that could be pretty exciting. You must admit, looking at a stock P-51 is cool, but then looking at Voodoo or Strega next to it really allows the crowd to see what all is done to make a racer fast. With Argo, Dreadnought or even 924 there, again more variety. I noticed quite a few people comparing Merlin's Magic with Sparky, the clean wings on MM is a pretty noticeable thing (Why are the guns gone on this one? Why are the wings are so smooth? ) Many people were shocked to learn that both of them are racers and there is such a thing as air racing. If a few of the teams show up with a table to sell shirts and talk about racing, the public will notice. Heck, I got word from someone who was trying to talk air racing with the people selling the Sparky shirts, and the people selling the shirts had no clue about anything. Its a chance for all the classes to show up and show off what they are about. It would be great to see some people from the IF1, biplane, sport, T6 and unlimiteds there. Heck, bring a couple of the jets in as well. If the sport wants to grow, the stars need to come out and be seen more often. This is a perfect venue to do it. Yes its small, but if word gets out that cool stuff shows up, people will come out and check it out. Heck, its dirt cheap, you can't buy lunch for what it costs to park and enter.

Will
                            Sherman Smoot is the "head" of Warbirds Over Paso, killer show they halted this year because of construction, but Smoot says they are coming back next year with a bang. I'm gonna try to contact him to get the same type of deal going, wonder if he didn't fly Czech at last years show because of the work going into it? He should for sure fly it if he isn't too busy controlling the whole operation. Have Steven bring Voodoo instead of POF's Yak, have Steve Sr. do a demo in Strega (which he did at Minter's airshow and it was EPIC to say the least, gave me chills the whole demo), bring shirts and such, have Dreadnought there, obviously it's money to do this, but with some good sponsors, which they apparently had to get such a badass show last year, and skipping this year should put some money in their pockets too. It's the small venues like these that can be a good add on to Reno's fan base.

Just a side note, I have never seen the Bear at an airshow.... Would Stew ever bring her to one or is it just too big of a process?
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I'm not sure if there is camping under the wing allowed there or not. Food isn't far away, but a motel might be a bit of a walk.

I need to get back to processing this stuff. I've got a solar eclipse to shoot in two days with a couple hundred pics loaded into lightroom at the moment.

Will

Comment

Anyone have pics of "Blyak" when she was a racer??

Called "The Defector" maybe?
                                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                                X