Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare Bear question

Originally posted by Chad Ezell View Post

MP.. Our manifold Pressure Is comparable to previous telemetry and flight video data with 2012. We expected to achieve more as we usually do with over the top scoop. We discovered this year during the engine rebuild room for improvment, but did not have time to make corrections.
    Is it comparable at comparable throttle settings? ie: 3/4 throttle in 2012 = 65" and same in 2014?

Seemed like there was opportunity to show all the naysayers what was under the hood and it never happened.

Comment

Not worried about nayers, just facts. I was comparing full throttle settings. 3/4 should be the same as 2012, but we were running 3100 rpm most of the time, not 3200.
      GO Bear!

Comment

What is under the hood was pretty much a fresh version of what you guys were running in 2012. We were running new cylinders and a different fuel feed setup. Which wasnt a direct change to power out put. Power could have been the same as 2012 but we discovered some risks with it. We decided we would rather have an engine to play with in the offseason.
        GO Bear!

Comment

Not worried about nayers, just facts. I was comparing full throttle settings. 3/4 should be the same as 2012, but we were running 3100 rpm most of the time, not 3200.
          Thanks Chad. This is neat stuff, really appreciate you taking the time to post!

- Joseph

Comment

I'm about to turn in so let me say this to the Bear Crew of the past. My hats off to you guys for wrestling a Bear, because that's what it's like trying to squeeze an ounce of speed out of it. At Ezell Aviation we have restored a lot of different aircraft over the years, and the straightforward restorations were usually the best jobs, when the owner added changes or improvments or race mods, a compounding effect followed. Any system change from stock, generally had an effect on another element of the aircraft. Some small and minor others compounding problems, and so on depending on the mod. The Bear is a Bear of compounds, I knew it before it ever showed up in Texas. We knew it was gonna take a lot of time to figure it out. So to you guys it's not easy solving the riddles a small improvement makes in Air racin, let alone a big one.
            I have talked with Alby regularly and he has mentioned all the guys over the years that have put a hand into the Bear's next race, and I have gotten to shake a few of em's hand. I believe it's a fraternity in its on way, of all the old Bear wrestlers that went through the grind of race week.

To sum it up... We boys in Texas just want the Bear to win again. We even put together a radial engine shop, with Jeff Abbott the best engine builder we know, and he's no stranger to air racin. No offense ment and wishin no hard feelings. But if you want to know the truth about your motor, you might not like the facts.. Sorry to say it that way.. Rather us be brothers behind a Bear.. Than scattered about while them Merloins are doin to good.. There time on top is just about up.. No offence PM lads.. Will still help you guys out..
            GO Bear!

Comment

Thanks Chad for posting a bit here about your efforts to get Rare Bear where she belongs. I'm another ex-crew member for #77, and have been around the airplane since 1980. I know what a contrary beast she can be. I am glad to see her in the hands of folks who are still willing to try to go fast. There will always be a place in my heart for this Racer.

Just come back faster next year!

Neal Nurmi
              Race 77 crew from 1988 to 1992 -- the good years

Comment

Thank you Chad, you are a class act.
                Steve C.

Comment

:cword:
                  <>
                  .. Rather us be brothers behind a Bear.. Than scattered about while them Merloins are doin too good.. Their time on top is just about up.. No offense PM lads.. Will still help you guys out..
                  No offense, .....PM doesn't have a Merloin.
                  remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Non taken, yup big difference between a Merloin and Griffion, but didn't want you guys to think i was listing you with em..
                    Its good to see a Griffon running the track, gettin better each year...
                    GO Bear!

Comment

Originally posted by JetsareforKids View Post
                      I ask this question with the ultimate respect: What is up with Rare Bear. Maybe I'm outdated, but isn't the Bear the fastest plane out there? When it is running strong, I always thought it was the one to beat. When Lewis purchased it, I thought it was only going to improve thanks to the increase in $$$ available. Has it been a string of bad luck, bad management, engineering?
                      I've been wanting to chime-in here (like Neal, I knew this would be an interesting thread) - work/home stuff has been keeping me busy. But now that I do have a minute...

This question got me thinking, and no one seems to have mentioned this yet... but there are a few other things that seems to have contributed to the downfall of the Bear, and it has nothing to due with the crew, airframe, or powerplant. I remember seeing the Bear & Lyle/Penny when they were at their peak (mid 90's), and there has been some big changes since then.... let's take a trip on the way-back machine to the time Reno went to the "short course", the way the Bear was configured prior to that (the big 3-bladed prop), and the advantages of physics (big & heavy can be a good thing).

Keeping this short.... prior to 1999, on the larger 9.128 mile course pylon's 4 thru 6 were located much higher on the hill... and when the races came down "the valley of speed" (then MUCH longer) the racers would be pushing their nose's down, accelerating, and leveling off for a good long distance. This is where Lyle & the Bear were damn near unstoppable (when running good). That huge 3 bladed paddle on the tip of the beast was on there for a reason... to take advantage of that straight-line speed. I can vividly recall seeing Lyle & the Bear coming down from the hills at the start of the west chute many times, pulling-hard away from the competition (almost like all the mustangs had anchors tied to them LOL). Yeah, that's where the Bear dominated.... and all that was lost in 99.

So I call it an unfortunate happenstance for the Bear. The existing "short course" favors the lighter aircraft - you simply can't change physics. Maybe I'm wrong... hell, I'm not a pilot, I don't have any formal education in aerodynamics, physics or nothin' like that - it just seems that some of the bigger changes that have occurred over the Bear's history hadn't been looked at (yet).
                      Mark K....

Comment

Yes the course has affected the speeds, but in some ways it has increased the speeds. As far as the Bear, it has gone through a lot of changes since Rod has purchased. Penney has calculated that the Bear running in its 2003- 2004 configuration would be in the low 500's on the current course. Wings, and the props, do play a huge part. We can calculate speeds all we want but until you get on the course, thats the tell all. The weather conditions play a role as well during race week. The biggest contributor to the Bear's speeds over the years was the prop configuration and the horse power. We do plan to put the Bear back to its former Glory.. As the saying goes Next Year...
                        GO Bear!

Comment

...Yes the course has affected the speeds, but in some ways it has increased the speeds. As far as the Bear, it has gone through a lot of changes since Rod has purchased. Penney has calculated that the Bear running in its 2003- 2004 configuration would be in the low 500's on the current course...

You are 100% correct Chad.

Comment

Yes the course has affected the speeds, but in some ways it has increased the speeds. As far as the Bear, it has gone through a lot of changes since Rod has purchased. Penney has calculated that the Bear running in its 2003- 2004 configuration would be in the low 500's on the current course. Wings, and the props, do play a huge part. We can calculate speeds all we want but until you get on the course, thats the tell all. The weather conditions play a role as well during race week. The biggest contributor to the Bear's speeds over the years was the prop configuration and the horse power. We do plan to put the Bear back to its former Glory.. As the saying goes Next Year...
                            Chad,

Has Mr. Lewis ever considered building a Western operation/shop/research facility here at the Reno Stead airport?

With the drone industry moving in and the current price of real estate, plus our Nevada tax base could be a win/win.

Heck, maybe create the beginnings of a future "National Air Racing" museum.

Comment

Haven't heard anything relating to that from him. Have wondered the samething, if he would get more involved in Reno and with RARA. He has his on style about it all, and he is conservative about somethings.
                              GO Bear!

Comment

Chad - no disrespect intended, but changing the way you determine lap speed to make it appear the aircraft are going faster isn't really increasing the speeds on the course. Sorry...
                                Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                                X