Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's have some fun speculation

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Wow would love to see one of those one day.
    That would really be something as very few were actually made and I don't believe any exist today. You could probably start with a late model Spitfire fuselage and modify that, but the wing would have to be made entirely from scratch...

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
      That would really be something as very few were actually made and I don't believe any exist today. You could probably start with a late model Spitfire fuselage and modify that, but the wing would have to be made entirely from scratch...
      One single wing left apparently.. Off of the Attacker which used the same wing (in some museum), then attach it to a late Spit,

Unless these supposed Pakistan Attackers exist, supposed surplus of those somewhere in Pakistan.. Wish i knew.

Would also like to see a Sea Fang too, such cool planes
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
        Also wing limited. It wasn't until the Spiteful that the basic airframe received a laminar flow wing, so I would start with one of those instead. But then the consumable demand would rise even further since those huge boxes hanging out in the breeze would need to be eliminated by going to boil-off...
        i'm not too sure about the wing limitation....a spitfire flown by Squadron Leader J. R. Tobin, reached 606 mph (975 km/h, Mach 0.891) in a 45° dive....and there is speculation about a later griffon powered one reaching speed of 690 mph (1,110 km/h, Mach 0.96 in a dive,in many ways the elipitical wing is supierior to the laminar flow one used on the spiteful/seafang.

but getting an owner to allow a spit to be modified to racing spec would be near impossible....but you could build a new one

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
          Yeah, boil off is huge!

The new crew of the Bear is so proud that they got rid of every Cornell engine mod, now they can run consistent 470's with a stock engine.

Please get it rid of the Cornell boil off, run consistent 460's.
          I'm not saying it didn't work on the bear. I'm saying it doesn't work on every application. There needs to be room for the boiler and room to store the fluids to make it through an entire race.

Comment

Originally posted by cdtpf60 View Post
            i'm not too sure about the wing limitation
            The Spitfire wing, due to construction, is only good up to about 480 and then the wing starts to flex... distorting the airfoil

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
              Geeeeeez here we are with the boil off thing again. Everybody seems to think if you throw boil off on something it makes it a winner. There is a lot more to it then that.

Not Really.
              Worth a whole bunch of drag reduction (speed) and a whole bunch of ponies that you don't have to whip just to pull the radiator through the air.
              Probably the easiest thing you could do to gain speed.
              Plus the engine likes the constant oil temp.

Oh, did I say easy? well, whatever...
              Last edited by toldjaso; 09-23-2014, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                Not Really.
                Worth a whole bunch of drag reduction (speed) and a whole bunch of ponies that you don't have to whip just to pull the radiator through the air.
                Probably the easiest thing you could do to gain speed.
                Plus the engine likes the constant oil temp.

Oh, did I say easy? well, whatever...
                Like anything in Air Racing

Simple
                Cheap
                And Easy

Plus it works right the first time.....
                Gauranteed.

Comment

In regards to the Griffon powered Spit...
                  Steve Hinton was quoted, March of '02 saying "..Slick wings, a boil off cooling system and I'll bet it could be a 460+ MPH Reno racer."

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                    Think -- Tsunami...
                    WE HAVE A WINNER!! Like all the suggestions; some really innovative ideas. Think PM has the most room for development, but I think the future is existing motors but small,light airframes.

Comment

Think of something the size of Tsunami with a Merlin or R2800, but built out of carbon fibre composites like NemesisNXT. Would allow for faster build time, more complex shapes, no oil canning, and potentially lighter and stronger. Add to that a modern prop design similar to a C130J or Q400.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow View Post
                        Think of something the size of Tsunami with a Merlin or R2800, but built out of carbon fibre composites like NemesisNXT. Would allow for faster build time, more complex shapes, no oil canning, and potentially lighter and stronger. Add to that a modern prop design similar to a C130J or Q400.
                        Ahh... Good to you see posting Arrow.. I remember your ideas..

- J

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                          Think -- Tsunami...

Remember my TS II Project from 2003 ?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by First time Juke; 09-27-2014, 02:17 AM.
                          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I can't find the thread (thought it was this one) but there was talk about how to further improve Czech Mate.
                            The consensus seemed to be that it really needs a better wing.

Going further with that thought,
                            hypothetically if we forget about financial aspects, would it even be possible to graft a Mustang, Sea Fury, or Bearcat wing to the Yak? -I think any of those 3 wings would allow for more prop clearance, which means you could also put a bigger prop on it, improving it's performance even further.

Comment

Why bother, just build the 3350 powered Mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                                Why bother, just build the 3350 powered Mustang.
                                Well it wouldn't be Czech Mate anymore if you did that. -The inner-modeler in me loves the idea of grafting a new wing onto the Yak.

I hadn't ever considered a 3350 powered Mustang before though, which also make for a fun project!

Comment

Working...
                                X