Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's have some fun speculation

Default Re: Let's have some fun speculation

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    I think the Fairy fly runs a Griffon with a 4-blade prop?
    It appears too, I would question diameter in a P-51 application though.

Why put a Griffon in a Mustang, when you can get a Spitfire that already has one. I would tend to think a 4 blade might help to as long as it isnt to hard to control.
    The Bear was fastest with a 3 blade.

Quote Originally Posted by rchevyman View Post
    Why put a Griffon in a Mustang, when you can get a Spitfire that already has one. I would tend to think a 4 blade might help to as long as it isnt to hard to control.
    The Bear was fastest with a 3 blade.
    Spitfire is a tiny plane, not sure if it could carry the consumables.

Bear was fastest in May of 2012, with a 4 blade.
    3 blade was cool, Harmonics were not.

ChrisMX105 beat me to the Spitfire comment. It's a tiny little airframe, and I suspect it's cooling arrangements are less efficient than a Mustang. Fun to think about though. Matt Jackson has previously communicated his impressions of Furias on this board. He certainly sounded enthusiastic.

At this stage, for the round brigade to get back on top, it seems to me they've got to last eight laps above 490. I want to be there when somebody does it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
    Spitfire is a tiny plane, not sure if it could carry the consumables.
    Also wing limited. It wasn't until the Spiteful that the basic airframe received a laminar flow wing, so I would start with one of those instead. But then the consumable demand would rise even further since those huge boxes hanging out in the breeze would need to be eliminated by going to boil-off...

Geeeeeez here we are with the boil off thing again. Everybody seems to think if you throw boil off on something it makes it a winner. There is a lot more to it then that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    Geeeeeez here we are with the boil off thing again. Everybody seems to think if you throw boil off on something it makes it a winner. There is a lot more to it then that.
    RB picked up 11MPH from boiloff, and that was just Oil...................

That's not where I was going, Mr. Wild Bill. The folks who designed the Mustang did an infinitely better job than the folks at Castle Bromwich with regards to the radiator setup and its drag effect on the airframe. When they shoehorned a Griffon into the Spitfire, they merely enlarged the already poor installation to the point of hanging a couple of very large boxes out of the bottom of the wing. May as well hang a couple of boat anchors out there. Given this starting point with the desire to eliminate a huge source of drag, what would you do, sir? Try and hang a P-51 style doghouse under the fuselage?? That, in my mind, would be silly. So, with regard to the subject matter (modifying the Spitfire for speed) I would choose boil-off. Replacing an already efficient system (as on the Mustang) with boil-off is another thing entirely and not what I was discussing here...
    Last edited by RichH; 09-22-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Yeah, boil off is huge!

The new crew of the Bear is so proud that they got rid of every Cornell engine mod, now they can run consistent 470's with a stock engine.

Please get it rid of the Cornell boil off, run consistent 460's.

Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    Also wing limited. It wasn't until the Spiteful that the basic airframe received a laminar flow wing, so I would start with one of those instead. But then the consumable demand would rise even further since those huge boxes hanging out in the breeze would need to be eliminated by going to boil-off...
    Didn't even know Supermarine made something called a "Spiteful". That has to be the coolest name I've heard on an airplane and it looks bad a$$ to say the least. Wow would love to see one of those one day.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19