Precious Metal 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Metal 2

Wondering if anyone knew anything about the A model Precious Metal that crashed at Oshkosh a couple years back. Why did they use it in TOR and did they just paint it like that for the movie? Were they going to paint it differently after the movie but didn't get around to it before the crash? Hope someone knows, that plane is mysterious to me.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Precious Metal 2

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Wondering if anyone knew anything about the A model Precious Metal that crashed at Oshkosh a couple years back. Why did they use it in TOR and did they just paint it like that for the movie? Were they going to paint it differently after the movie but didn't get around to it before the crash? Hope someone knows, that plane is mysterious to me.

Don't know about the paintjob.
    I remember a year or so ago talking to someone I know who restores Mustangs, that said Gerry's widow and I think his son or sons and/or employees/friends of Gerry Beck were actually rebuilding the plane, using what they could salvage of it plus new parts.
    The original intent was to tool up and produce and sell "kits" of the A model Mustang, one reason being the Allison engines and props were a lot less expensive than a Rolls, and the airframe was a little simpler to build. There are a lot of changes for the Rolls powered fuselage.
    Gerry Beck and Bob Odegaard were both building new parts for Mustangs up in North Dakota. I have used several of their parts over the years, restoring Mustangs.
    They are both sorely missed, may they rest in peace..

Comment

I stole this;
      Gerry Beck, an enthusiastic warbird pilot and restorer, built a P-51A Mustang at his Tri-State Aviation workshops in North Dakota. Reports vary whether this was entirely built from scratch or included some salvaged parts, but when the project was finally rolled out in 2006 it was a stunning achievement. The aircraft differed from a standard P-51A by having a second seat fitted where the radio bay was originally fitted and having the armament and gun camera omitted.

The aircraft was painted in the same colours as the famous Reno Racer “Precious Metal” for filming the movie “Thunder over Reno” and somewhat confusingly known as “Precious Metal II”. It flew at EAA Airventure in July 2007 and participated in a mock air race with other warbirds. Tragically, Beck touched down behind a P-51D “Dazzling Donna” piloted by Casey Odegaard. As they landed, the P-51A’s propellor struck the tail of the P-51D. “Precious Metal” flipped and crashed, killing Beck.

Beck’s legacy lives on through his family’s support of the Fargo Air Museum in North Dakota. The remains of “Precious Metal” were salvaged and may yet return to flight.
      remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
        As was mentioned previously, Gerry Beck built the airplane from "scratch" it was, in fact, a replica.

The paint was actually a "wrap" which was intended, eventually, to come off. I believe they were still promoting the movie when the accident happened.

Gerry was one of the principal financial contributors to the making of the movie, as was Robert, one of the reasons I took criticism about the movie so personally, I knew the quality of the folks who were making it and it made me cringe every time I saw them..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That really was an amazing project and a very cool airplane. Here is Bob Odegaard flying it on the course at Reno.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, really interesting. Would also like to see how Gerry's wife handles the project, I thought most of the plane was burnt to the ground but hey salvage whatever you can.

Blue skies Beck and Odegaard
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

They still work on it: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3178650&type=1
              Random Air Blog

Comment

Very impressive photo, Neal!

Best regards,
                Florian

Comment

Working...
                X