Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MESSAGE FROM THOM RICHARD

Dear Friends and Race fans,

2014 was another exciting race year. Many ups and down's as usual. The largest, most overwhelming down was the unexpected and tragic loss of Lee Behel in Race #5. The racing community will miss him, an incredibly positive force that did so much for the races.

Our team had some trying times, some maintenance hiccup's that prevented us from qualifying in time early in the week, but that paled in comparison to 232's colossal engine failure which destroyed their new engine. We hope 232 will be able to pick up the pieces and return next season.

Another down was Tiger's engine troubles, which will not be a cheap fix. We fortunately didn't break anything this year.

On the positive, we advanced further than any other racer in the field. From the bottom of the field, won the Bronze, won the Silver and advanced all the way to third place in the Gold.

The third place would not stand according to RARA as they claimed we crossed the east show line on the second lap. We respectfully disagree with this ruling, but it's their sandbox and their rules are set. We cannot contest the ruling and therefore it stands. Our cockpit video is inadmissible.

Obviously, my crew was crushed that evening, which is why the PM team forfeited 30 banquet tickets and did not attend the award ceremony. If there was nothing positive to add, it was better to be absent and let everyone else enjoy the evening.

Being an all volunteer, underdog team without a major sponsor, partaking in the races is very difficult. The financial burden is very heavy. How we have pulled it off this far, is little short of a miracle.

The solution to returning next year is of course financial. We will be pursuing various venues to accomplish this goal. The loss of the prize money is a very difficult obstacle, but it's just an obstacle. We have crossed many of them before.

We appreciate the overwhelming support we have received the last few days, let's see if we can turn it all in to something positive. With your help, I believe it's possible.

Some of us may have serious disagreements and high flying feelings about what just happened. But in the end, we all want to continue racing. I ask you to turn all this energy in to something positive and constructive for the PM team, your own sake and for the future of air racing. The show must go on!

Thanks for lending me your ear.

Race on!

Thom Richard

Re: 2014 PM gold race cockpit video

Thom, you are a class act. When Steve Stavr... announced you and the team in the show before Sundays race, you got the biggest cheer from the crowd. Of all the teams out there, you guys have earned some real financial support. You talked the talk, and walked the walk of a champion. Good luck.
    Last edited by AAFO_WSagar; 09-18-2014, 04:53 PM. Reason: don't play with folks names please
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Richard View Post
      ...The third place would not stand according to RARA as they claimed we crossed the east show line on the second lap. We respectfully disagree with this ruling, but it's their sandbox and their rules are set. We cannot contest the ruling and therefore it stands. Our cockpit video is inadmissible...
      You're a class act, Thom.

Please continue to be careful with your criticism of RARA. It's been a long time now, but RARA banned John Parker for a year for speaking his mind.

I'll be in the line of contributors for your effort for Reno 2015.

Comment

Re: MESSAGE FROM THOM RICHARD

Classy. You're a real man, Thom.

Congrats to the Precious Metal team on a great showing. The ending wasn't how we would have liked, but you all proved your stuff and we look forward to seeing what you have for us next year.

Chapeau.

Comment

I would like to see Thom setup a Paypal Racefund donation account.. I for one would throw them a bone ...

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Richard View Post
            We respectfully disagree with this ruling, but it's their sandbox and their rules are set. We cannot contest the ruling and therefore it stands. Our cockpit video is inadmissible.
            If you are 100% certain you did not violate any of the rules and you have evidence to support it, submit your evidence, then ask them to make an exception and hear your argument because of the "Unreasonable" nature of their rules. If that fails, threaten to sue them in court if they don't pay. If that fails, sue them in court.

If you don't have the money, find a Pro Bono Lawyer or a Contingent Lawyer. There's got to be a Lawyer out there that would take the case.

Even if you lose, the evidence is submitted for future reference. Maybe this is what it will take to make the changes.

The Rule of Law:
            1. If the facts are against you, argue the law.
            2. If the law is against you, argue the facts
            Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-19-2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
              Please continue to be careful with your criticism of RARA. It's been a long time now, but RARA banned John Parker for a year for speaking his mind.
              I'd like to see what would happen if RARA suspend Thom Richard/Precious Metal for his comments. Then I'd like to see the entire Unlimited Class support Precious Metal by saying if Precious Metal is suspended, we're not showing up. I bet RARA would change their mind regarding the suspension "real quick." Try to imagine the Reno Air Races "without" the Unlimited Class.

The Unlimited Class needs to write their own rules to protect "their" interests.
              Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-08-2014, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRickster View Post
                I would like to see Thom setup a Paypal Racefund donation account.. I for one would throw them a bone ...

Rick

Or a Kickstarter Campaign,
                I have no doubts Thom could raise all of the money he needs.

You can count on me helping for whatever needs team PM needs help with.

Comment

I have been looking but not having any luck.. What is the purse for each place finish?

Rick

Comment

[QUOTE=Thom Richard;121696]Dear Friends and Race fans,

"The solution to returning next year is of course financial. We will be pursuing various venues to accomplish this goal. The loss of the prize money is a very difficult obstacle, but it's just an obstacle. We have crossed many of them before."

By the way, your above comment makes me remember the Lyle Shelton-RareBear era. Against the odds he should have surely faced , nevertheless look where they reached. I think it was very hard for him and his team to be always in the pole position, and they did it.
                    Don`t know why I`m feeling the same way with you-PM and your team. Must be because you are a class act as Shelton was.

Thank you very much for posting your opinions. It`s a gift for us to hear you.

Comment

LIke everyone else has said Thom, CLASS ACT You can count on me for some free labor after April 3rd. Have another trade show in Daytona, can't think of a better way to finish the trip than helping prep PM for her next trip out west

Comment

Dear friends and race fans,

We’ve all been reading the comments about the DQ and it’s time to respond officially and clarify the issues from Team PM’s perspective.

Many people have been trying to forensically break down the video by comparing various maps and the course layout. The vast majority has concluded there was no cut, however at least one has concluded that there was one. As these analyses are nice to see, they're in the end inconclusive and it’s really a moot point. Unless some new information is uncovered, this issue is closed and needs to be laid to rest.

Although we have not had any official communication with RARA about this subject, it’s our understanding that they have listened to the fan’s input and are reviewing all possibilities for improvements for next year. The FAA has also asked us directly for input on this particular issue to help them improve the course conditions.

So, before we go any further, RARA and the FAA are not enemies of air racing. They both want to see it continue in the most successful and safest manner possible. There is no bigger supporter of air racing than RARA.

Extreme suggestions such as lawsuits, refusing to return unless our placement has been restored, or mass boycotting of the races were never even considered on our end. They would do nothing but cause great harm to the last remaining venue in the world. We understand many were upset and emotions ran high, but the idea is to continue racing, not destroy the races. We should not shoot ourselves in the foot!

Running an air race is an extremely difficult and complicated operation. It’s easy to critique from the outside and to armchair quarterback. The extreme comments will obviously not be considered, but the constructive criticism will be taken in to consideration by our team, the Unlimiteds, RARA and the FAA. Good things WILL come from this.

Yes, the PM team was financially hurt, that’s always a risk when you enter a racer into the competition, but we’re working on solutions to that problem. Please stay tuned for ways that you can help us keep PM air racing. This sport is big money. Cubic dollars, as some put it, in the Unlimited Gold. It’s not a sport for the fiscally weak. However, team PM has been fighting those odds with a vengeance since we started and we’re not about to give up now.

Please start being productive and constructive about this. Let’s stop the negative commentary and turn it into what it should be: The most exciting motorsports event in the world! Let’s see some positive comments about things you experienced at the races this year and let’s put this DQ behind us. Tomorrow is another race!

RARA needs all the help it can get with getting the word out to increase attendance. Let’s make that happen!

All the best,

Thom Richard & Team PM

Comment

Thank you,
                          That was really well said. Perhaps you and Tiger's miss fortune in 2014 will produce fortune for the future of the Unlimited class. Tiger's high line for saturdays gold race looked like the safe route for a faster racer(staying out of wake turbulence and keeping slower aircraft in sight and well clear until the pass), so I think he showed us a few things. Your lines for sundays gold race looked clean and safe also. It's nice to see some positive input about the FAA and RARA, as they have huge weight in attempting to keep all the Fans and spectators safe.

Go team PM!

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write this, puts everything into perspective.

Comment

Im sorry but I have to repeat it, you are a true Class Act.

Comment

Working...
                              X