Lap Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lap Speeds

Yep, these pics substantiate the overheating speculation...

But nevertheless thanks to Tiger it was a race for the history books - great performance!

Gibbs

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
      Yep, these pics substantiate the overheating speculation...

But nevertheless thanks to Tiger it was a race for the history books - great performance!

Gibbs
      Told ja so!

Tiger knew he was toast, may as well put on a show on Saturday, knew that playing on Sunday was probably not in the cards... (this is my personal opinion, of course).
      Last edited by toldjaso; 09-19-2014, 06:26 AM.

Comment

It looks to me like the atmospheric conditions contributed a lot to the visible vapors from spraybars and (what appears to be) low pressure or trans-sonic flow points on the airframes. That wingtip trail from Strega might be a vortex off the wing/aileron junction. I have *NEVER* seen the perfectly clear twin oil cooler spraybar vapor trails off Dreadnought, and I've been looking at great racing shots of her for almost 20 years. Was it more humid than usual Saturday?

What people should be asking is 'how the heck did Kerch dial in the spray rates so precisely that Voodoo wasn't dumping as much excess as everyone else???'

The only hint I really see that Strega might have had a problem before the last few seconds is that streak of vapor above the wing in one frame, but again that could be due to low pressure and G-loading at the higher speeds Strega was running. Unless Tiger or LD comes out and says otherwise, I think Strega's problem happened a few hundred yards either side of the start/finish line... and I'd even narrow my wild-&&& guess to bet that it was either at the G unloading when Tiger put the nose down, or at the peak of positive G loading when he pulled up after diving past Voodoo. Carburetors tend to shift mixture under G changes, fuel and ADI distribution changes a little, etc. I'd think that sudden G excursions at high power are risky.

Comment

On Friday at the time of startup for the Silver Race ? Strega had water running out the tail end of the the airplane. I thought to myself I hope he carries enough water to last the whole race at the rate that it was coming out. Strega's pit crew was standing there and must have seen it so I had to assume everything was good.

Comment

Originally posted by JMS View Post
            On Friday at the time of startup for the Silver Race ? Strega had water running out the tail end of the the airplane. I thought to myself I hope he carries enough water to last the whole race at the rate that it was coming out. Strega's pit crew was standing there and must have seen it so I had to assume everything was good.
            Saw that too, the plane was leaking like a hose it was pretty cool
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Tiger has vented off that wing for as long as I remember.. I've always speculated that he had a bit of a secret about not quite keeping the ball centered....
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                Saw that too, the plane was leaking like a hose it was pretty cool
                More than likely it was from testing that the spray bar was working correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                  More than likely it was from testing that the spray bar was working correctly.
                  Wouldn't doubt it, first thing I noticed when she was sitting on the ramp was the lake underneath her lol
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                    It looks to me like the atmospheric conditions contributed a lot to the visible vapors from spraybars and (what appears to be) low pressure or trans-sonic flow points on the airframes. That wingtip trail from Strega might be a vortex off the wing/aileron junction. I have *NEVER* seen the perfectly clear twin oil cooler spraybar vapor trails off Dreadnought, and I've been looking at great racing shots of her for almost 20 years. Was it more humid than usual Saturday?

What people should be asking is 'how the heck did Kerch dial in the spray rates so precisely that Voodoo wasn't dumping as much excess as everyone else???'

The only hint I really see that Strega might have had a problem before the last few seconds is that streak of vapor above the wing in one frame, but again that could be due to low pressure and G-loading at the higher speeds Strega was running. Unless Tiger or LD comes out and says otherwise, I think Strega's problem happened a few hundred yards either side of the start/finish line... and I'd even narrow my wild-&&& guess to bet that it was either at the G unloading when Tiger put the nose down, or at the peak of positive G loading when he pulled up after diving past Voodoo. Carburetors tend to shift mixture under G changes, fuel and ADI distribution changes a little, etc. I'd think that sudden G excursions at high power are risky.
                    I thought it was very dry this year. I couldn't drink enough water fast enough.

Here are some pics from last year on Saturday that I shot from exactly the same spot. No water spray

On the cooldown following the race. Lots of water spray.

Voodoo again, no spray, lap 2.

Dreadnought showing spray from the left side. I've seen this for the past 3 years.

Sundays Gold race from last year,
                    Strega showing a little spray.

But not much.

Something was very different between last year and this year with Strega. Last year the engine was a little tired, this year rumored to be fresh. I really have to wonder if there was an issue really early on in the race this year for Strega. The only time I saw any plume of spray bar water was on the cooldown after Saturdays race last year, not the full race like this year. Granted, this years race was faster, but still, even in last years Gold race on Sunday Strega wasn't blowing a contrail of spray behind it.

Will

Comment

General mechanic's question:can anybody tell us what happens when the head gasket on your car starts letting water and anti-freeze into the combustion chamber, and you see white smoke or steam out of the tailpipe? Is it a good thing, not noticeable on a gauge or anything? No ill side effects?

Looks to me like the vapor trail from Strega is coming from over the wing, (out of the exhaust probably), and not from the radiator spray bars.

Roached engine.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                        General mechanic's question:can anybody tell us what happens when the head gasket on your car starts letting water and anti-freeze into the combustion chamber, and you see white smoke or steam out of the tailpipe? Is it a good thing, not noticeable on a gauge or anything? No ill side effects?

Looks to me like the vapor trail from Strega is coming from over the wing, (out of the exhaust probably), and not from the radiator spray bars.

Roached engine.
                        You sir have a sharp eye, Looked a little high to me but I attributed it to the angle or light, Have to say we know one cylinder that was not detonating........................

Comment

Roached engine.
                          Definitely the stream o' steam is intersecting the airfoil of the tailplane. That wouldn't seem to happen iffen the steam was merely emanating from the exit door...

Comment

Roached engine.
                            It actually looks like it is coming out some distance span-wise and not against the fuse. I would wager it is the gun bay tank cap leaking.

Michael

Comment

Tiger knew what he wanted to achieve and he did it. Fresh Merlin be damned!
                              Hell of a show, unreal finish!
                              Thank you!
                              Last edited by hm66sk; 09-19-2014, 02:40 PM.
                              "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                                It actually looks like it is coming out some distance span-wise and not against the fuse. I would wager it is the gun bay tank cap leaking.

Michael
                                Iffin you say so.
                                Looks like he could fly a lot faster if he didn't need 2000+ gallons of ADI and spray bar water to finish a 6 lapper.
                                Is it home yet, or hiding in a hanger at Stead?

Comment

Working...
                                X