Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lap Speeds

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    In a lot of places, Tiger's line was a lot wider than 50ft.

Steve's line was near perfect..and his race speed was what, 492? Maybe M. Luv or someone with more authority can confirm, but this tells me that Strega's ground speeds were probably near 20mph faster than Voodoo, most of the race.

At the start of the last lap, Tiger was way wide on #2, but, he kept his momentum toward 3-4...

- Joseph
    Here are ground speed, IAS, and TAS (estimated) from Voodoo during Saturday's race. The ground speeds (with tail wind) were over 500mph during portions of the race. Ignore the scatter in the GPS data and look at the mean trends.

It was clear that Strega ran more power than we did, especially during the last portion of the race. Voodoo ran a pre-described power setting and was healthy the entire weekend.

Michael

Click image for larger version

Name:	VoodooSatGold9_13_14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	227798
    Last edited by Mluvara; 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Has Kerch already had the first meeting to prep for next year??

I figure you guys win it about Mid-October(=

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
        Here are ground speed, IAS, and TAS (estimated) from Voodoo during Saturday's race. The ground speeds (with tail wind) were over 500mph during portions of the race. Ignore the scatter in the GPS data and look at the mean trends.

It was clear that Strega ran more power than we did, especially during the last portion of the race. Voodoo ran a pre-described power setting and was healthy the entire weekend.

Michael

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21073[/ATTACH]

So the question still is whos faster? #7 ran faster in that race but blow. Voodoo had some left. i vote #5

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_ofIdaho View Post
          So the question still is whos faster? #7 ran faster in that race but blow. Voodoo had some left. i vote #5
          Definitely not saying that you're wrong, but i have to go with Strega. For one, the engine didn't blow because it was going faster than it was capable of doing but was a rookie mistake on Tiger's part for keeping the ADI on because of the adrenaline rush.

Second, Voodoo had the lead the whole race since Steven had the pole, Strega made catching up look like a walk in the park all the way from last place.

Third, Matt has flown both of them before and says that Strega is the fastest plane he has flown, it would be cool to see what Steven has to say.

Fourth, Voodoo's engine program is running flawlessly. Somebody in here said that it's the same engine refurbished over and over since 2009 and it still ran as well as it did on Saturday? That's very impressive.

I think Strega is the faster plane, still sticking with Dago being the fastest of all time.

Question for thee more knowledgeable ones, who built Dago's engines?
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
            , who built Dago's engines?
            Dago Red was Dwight Thorn's Swan Song. After he passed, there were a LOT of failures...

Comment

Correct;

Fastest

Then Ridge Runner....ahh....

- J

Comment

Impressive thing is these speeds are being run on a much tighter course.

Comment

Definitely not saying that you're wrong, but i have to go with Strega. For one, the engine didn't blow because it was going faster than it was capable of doing but was a rookie mistake on Tiger's part for keeping the ADI on because of the adrenaline rush.
                  Keeping the ADI on does not cause a failure.

Fourth, Voodoo's engine program is running flawlessly. Somebody in here said that it's the same engine refurbished over and over since 2009 and it still ran as well as it did on Saturday? That's very impressive.
                  There are several "cores" used for Voodoo's engines since 2009. They have changed in many ways as the motors were refined. This includes corrections to deficiencies found and new custom made parts.

They came out of Dwight Thorne's shop with the assistance of numerous people through the end of Terry Bland's ownership. One of those individuals is Mike Wilton, who has been doing Voodoo's motors since 2010. Dwight didn't teach any of those who worked for him everything, but some more know more than others. It has taken several years to build up the motor program for Voodoo, essentially starting from nothing.

Voodoo is fast. It has been a progression for the past several years to refine it aerodynamically. I would say Dago and Strega are likely close in speed with an aerodynamic advantage over Voodoo. Voodoo still has some refinement to go.

Michael
                  Last edited by Mluvara; 09-17-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Actually running the ADI at low power settings can warp/crack heads. This is what happened to Tiger.
                    Like heating a chunk of cast Aluminum to stupid hot and pouring water on it. Bad things will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post

They came out of Dwight Thorne's shop
                      THA DOC... spelt *Dwight Thorn*. No "e"

Comment

Second, Voodoo had the lead the whole race since Steven had the pole, Strega made catching up look like a walk in the park all the way from last place.

Third, Matt has flown both of them before and says that Strega is the fastest plane he has flown, it would be cool to see what Steven has to say.

I think Strega is the faster plane, still sticking with Dago being the fastest of all time.

Thats funny "Rookie Mistake". I don't think so. He declared a mayday for a reason, probably running ruff, caused by a burnt piston. ADI being left on maybe made it worse.

What plane is flat out faster is a mute point. Its a week long event that is won on Saturday. That's kind of the same as September Fury's 507 "half lap" qualifying a few years back. If you blow up before the end, it doesn't matter how fast you went in the start.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                          Actually running the ADI at low power settings can warp/crack heads. This is what happened to Tiger.
                          Like heating a chunk of cast Aluminum to stupid hot and pouring water on it. Bad things will happen.
                          Yes, exactly.

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
                          Thats funny "Rookie Mistake". I don't think so. He declared a mayday for a reason, probably running ruff, caused by a burnt piston. ADI being left on maybe made it worse.
                          Possible too, and i know Tiger isn't a rookie but leaving the ADI on at low power was something that Tiger should've been careful with.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

First off thanks for all the posts during race week! I did not make it until the gold race on Saturday. your posts keep me informed! I love debating race info, so here are my thoughts:

#1. Like what Arctic Cat said, Strega mayday before keeping the ADI on. so there must have been another problem.

#2. Like what Michael said, Voodoo ran a pre-described power setting. I belive Voodoo had more to show, it was Saturday after all. I think Tiger gave it all to beat Steve-o, (which he did). I just wish he had waited until Sunday, and stared 2nd. we would have see both pleans run all out, and we would know who's faster.

#3. Matt Jackson has not raced Voodoo in her present state. 2009 was Will Whiteside's first year in Voodoo. he won on Sat. (Strega cut) at 486. Voodoo had a lot of work done in the following year. I talk to Will in 2010. He told me: Voodoo is tons faster then last year, and said: Voodoo will for sure win on Sunday. Since he said that, Voodoo has not lost on Sunday! (2010 gold race cancelled, 2011 week cancelled. 2012 not there).

I can't wait until next year, hope both planes are there and start 1-2 on Sunday then we will see who's faster!

~Benjamin
                            Last edited by Benjamin_ofIdaho; 09-17-2014, 06:45 PM.

Comment

My kid-brother brings up a valid point;

Will didn't get to prove Voodoo potential.

Is #5 now the top super-stang? Could be..

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post

I respectfully disagree. ADI is typically between 1 to 2 gallons per minute. I fail to see how 4 ounces of fluid per second going through a blower and essentially being vaporized is going to crack the head of a 1400 lb mass of metal that dissipates the heat. It's not pouring water on one part of an engine. There have been racers who have left ADI on without damage. A motor just doesn't like to run on water.

Running an engine too hot will definitely distort and crack components...

Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X