Lap Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lap Speeds

So if my math is correct every 50ft wider on a line (Unlimited Course) requires about 3.5 MPH to maintain even position.
    Means Strega was running power setting that would have put him 495-500 mph on Voodoo's line. Possibly even more.

Re: Lap Speeds

My brain timer said there were a couple laps at 500mph

Also, Consider my Rear Bare crow eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
      So if my math is correct every 50ft wider on a line (Unlimited Course) requires about 3.5 MPH to maintain even position.
      Means Strega was running power setting that would have put him 495-500 mph on Voodoo's line. Possibly even more.

Strega's performance in that race truly amazed me. And it *almost* survived :-/ Gotta wonder if Tiger pushed the power WAY up on that last quarter lap as well as diving, and that's what broke the engine. Angles can be deceiving, but it didn't look to me like all that surge of speed could have come just from the dive.

Comment

Was there a direct quote from Tiger on why he decided to push Strega so hard in Saturday's gold race? I know he's a racer and all that other stuff, but perhaps a close second to Voodoo and a still-healthy engine would have set him up perfectly for Sunday's Gold. If he was that much faster than Steve-o, then he could have gotten around Voodoo in the first couple of laps on Sunday. Just wondering......

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
          Was there a direct quote from Tiger on why he decided to push Strega so hard in Saturday's gold race? I know he's a racer and all that other stuff, but perhaps a close second to Voodoo and a still-healthy engine would have set him up perfectly for Sunday's Gold. If he was that much faster than Steve-o, then he could have gotten around Voodoo in the first couple of laps on Sunday. Just wondering......
          I think he had a point to prove.

Comment

After Tiger had landed and rolled to stop, following the Mayday, he came over to a group of us and said two things that stuck with me. He said it was the roughest race he had ever been in, it was the first time he had to put two hands on the control stick. He also said he had a little throttle left.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
              Because that's how the Tiger do. I think many years ago he said something to the effect that 'if it won't survive Saturday, it won't last through Sunday anyway.'

With each passing year Kerch is getting Voodoo closer to the point where its an even match for Strega. This year I tend to question whether Strega *was* much (if any) faster than Voodoo, had Steven been willing to crank it up to 11 also. If it had come to a burn-down contest on Sunday, the airplane out front is the one with the advantage, and he was going for the pole. If he wanted to make a statement and actually pass Voodoo, his best shot was Saturday when Team Voodoo was going to be in conservation mode a little bit, and doing so on the last lap when there wasn't time for Steven to accelerate again. If it weren't for flying too high and getting penalized, and mis-timing his pass by mere milliseconds, he'd have pulled it off.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                If it weren't for flying too high and getting penalized, and mis-timing his pass by mere milliseconds, he'd have pulled it off.
                He actually did finish ahead of Voodoo.
                Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                  Also, Consider my Rear Bare crow eaten.
                  It's all good, I figure by next year they will have figured out how to remove another 20+ mph

Maybe the trophy hunt is for Silver?

Comment

Sat. evening Tiger said he had quite a bit left... Sounds like the motor wasn't fully trashed, a burned piston and flooded due to leaving the ADI on during the mayday. But no metal in the screens.

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                      He actually did finish ahead of Voodoo.
                      Jarrod
                      I thought the official timing was Voodoo by 200 milliseconds or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                        I thought the official timing was Voodoo by 200 milliseconds or something similar.
                        Other way around, for the 15 minutes that it was posted prior to the DQ they had Strega by .018 seconds or something crazy like that. There is a pic posted showing that Strega really did win.

All thoughts aside that was an epic race.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                          In a lot of places, Tiger's line was a lot wider than 50ft.

Steve's line was near perfect..and his race speed was what, 492? Maybe M. Luv or someone with more authority can confirm, but this tells me that Strega's ground speeds were probably near 20mph faster than Voodoo, most of the race.

At the start of the last lap, Tiger was way wide on #2, but, he kept his momentum toward 3-4...

- Joseph

Comment

Oh..

I'm confident that a healthy Strega, flying Stevo's line, is capable of 520+ laps.

Comment

If you were to stretch and say he flew an average of 200ft wider on his line than Voodoo you are still only looking at 14mph or a 506 lap.
                              Factor in the climbing to dive etc and I am sure you could fudge in a little more

Only way to know for sure would have been to strap Stevo-O into Strega, His line is like watching a model train, never seems to deviate.

Comment

Working...
                              X