Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The real problem with Reno...the FAA?

Default Re: The real problem with Reno...the FAA?

Quote Originally Posted by f1-69 View Post
    Be careful what you assume, the reno fsdo is a huge supporter of the races, and for most of you on this board , you have no real dealings with the FAA and it's all what you heard from Leroy's second cousin bob who has been coming to the races for 20 years as a fan, so he is an expert. I have been racing for 7 years now and the easiest part of racing at reno is the FAA
    That may be true, and I believe you, but there are certain overarching liability and attitude issues that can linger on in the agency as a whole and override an individual FSDO. The current Administrator seems like a really nice guy and I'd love to meet him, but that doesn't mean everything the agency does is awesome.

Good points though...it's helpful to see both sides and keep it from becoming too much of an "us vs them" thing.

Just look at the Bob Hoover medical fiasco in the 90s. All of the pressure in the world from citizens, and even legal action up to the country's highest courts had zero impact.

Ultimately the solution to Hoover's grounding was him personally convincing one person high up enough in the organization (the FAA Administrator!) to change his mind.

I don't think there are enough race fans who care to invoke enough political will to make the FAA change their mind on the race course rules. If the unlimiteds stop racing because they don't feel they can safely comply with the rules, I'm sure the FAA wouldn't even notice, much less shed a tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Haskin View Post
    Just look at the Bob Hoover medical fiasco in the 90s. All of the pressure in the world from citizens, and even legal action up to the country's highest courts had zero impact.

Ultimately the solution to Hoover's grounding was him personally convincing one person high up enough in the organization (the FAA Administrator!) to change his mind.

I don't think there are enough race fans who care to invoke enough political will to make the FAA change their mind on the race course rules. If the unlimiteds stop racing because they don't feel they can safely comply with the rules, I'm sure the FAA wouldn't even notice, much less shed a tear.

100% correct.
    What the feds pulled on Bob Hoover was a crime. Didn't that all start with just one or two guys screwing him over?
    And they wish all of General Aviation would just quietly go away. Just wait until 100 LL is no longer available.
    Next, it will be giving drones the right-of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Haskin View Post

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I feel that the current FAA is a different animal from that of the 90s. We've started to take a harder line with them and I feel that they are more reasonable.

Now all that is just feeling...not hard facts...

Quote Originally Posted by CanIFlyIt View Post
    Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I feel that the current FAA is a different animal from that of the 90s. We've started to take a harder line with them and I feel that they are more reasonable.

Now all that is just feeling...not hard facts...

I sure hope you are right. I guess maybe I need to be more of an optimist.

Struck a nerve, reading that above. The first airshow I ever saw in person was in 1976, Bob Hoover was flying his Shrike Commander and Old Yeller. I will never forget his routine with the Commander, engines out and rolled right back up to the stands. And it was a long way from where he landed, couldn't believe he made it all the way back from the runway.