Strega broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strega broken?

There are lots of stories flying around about whether Strega was really broken, or parked and declared 'broken' due to Tiger's retirement from racing after Saturday's disqualification. Just out of curiosity, have they flown it home? Changing the engine to fly it home? Breaking it down to truck it home? Left it parked at Stead for now?

Re: Strega broken?

Considering the Mayday was before he knew of the DQ that is a rather weird question.
    And the bit I know of Tiger I seriously doubt he would throw a tantrum and take his football home nor come up with an excuse to stand down.
    If it was running he would have raced Sunday. And been first, second, or parked on the runway after a Mayday.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51 View Post
      There are lots of stories flying around about whether Strega was really broken, or parked and declared 'broken' due to Tiger's retirement from racing after Saturday's disqualification. Just out of curiosity, have they flown it home? Changing the engine to fly it home? Breaking it down to truck it home? Left it parked at Stead for now?
      I have no reason to doubt his word. The ramp run later in the day sure didn't sound very good. He is a colorful personality, a fierce competitor and a great showman wrapped all into one. It is a sad day to see him hang up his flight suit and be done....but I am thrilled to have seen that race. It was the thing of legends....

Comment

I wasn't there this year, I'm only going by what I'm hearing from more than one source.

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
        And the bit I know of Tiger I seriously doubt he would throw a tantrum and take his football home...
        Those who attended the NAG Banquet a few years back might have a contrary opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51 View Post
          I wasn't there this year, I'm only going by what I'm hearing from more than one source.

Those who attended the NAG Banquet a few years back might have a contrary opinion.
          I agree with this, Tiger is somewhat known for tantrums, etc.
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I was there in on Saturday night, and watched them open her up and check the screens. No metal. Tiger was there and they really weren't sure what was wrong. lots or puzzled looks. But they turned the prop though by hand and water poured out near the aft end.. seemed there was water in the oil too. There was some oil too on the # 2 stack on the left bank. I dunno, maybe a block crack? Later around 11 pm they ran it up, there are pics on the Strega web site. People said it sounded ok... But It must not have been, I'm thinking Tiger would have flown if he could have.

Chris

Extra 300

Comment

I feel like I already saw someone say what happened, but the story is Tiger left the ADI on after the race ended and flooded the engine, water and oil don't mix well. That's what I heard, sorry if someone said it already..
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

So in answer to my original question, is it still sitting broken at Stead?

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                  I feel like I already saw someone say what happened, but the story is Tiger left the ADI on after the race ended and flooded the engine, water and oil don't mix well. That's what I heard, sorry if someone said it already..
                  This is the story I got from Tiger on Monday. He said they could have run Sunday but it would have been a run it til it breaks run. Not running it Sunday meant they could bring it back next year.

Not sure who flew it home but, it wasn't Tiger. I didn't actually see it leave but it was out on the ramp with Voodoo and looked prepped for flight.
                  Last edited by Fence Sence; 09-18-2014, 07:50 AM.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Did Strega pull a swap back to the ferry engine?

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                      Story is true. This would explain why post race sat there was more oil and water underneath it than I ever saw before. It's easy to make a mistake like this when you haven't flown races in 6 years. Darn shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                        Did Strega pull a swap back to the ferry engine?
                        Just a guess on my part, but if you look at the time line an engine swap didn't happen. As stated it was on the ramp Monday morning. Some one with more information can correct me.

Comment

Overheard a crew member on Strega's team say they thinked its a cracked head, and that they will swap in the ferry motor in the next couple weeks.

Comment

I can't imagine they would take it home without putting the ferry motor in. It's possible they just had Strega out on the ramp just to be out of the way while they broke down the pit. It's probably sitting in a hanger now.
                            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I was there watching until late Saturday night. I have pix of them running up the engine at about 11:30pm. Had blue flame (good) from the exhaust on the right, but orange (bad) from the exhaust on the left. Specifically, I think it was the 2nd cylinder from the front on the left side that was the problem. I'm not a mechanic, but I think this is the tell-tale sign they were reviewing. Given the reaction of the team and Tiger, it's my opinion they really wanted to fly on Sunday.

I will tell you that it sounded awesome. This was a HIGH power run-up. It was music to my ears, and probably to anyone down in Lemon Valley...

I'm pulling for Tiger to take 1 more shot next year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8623.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	227804Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8547.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	227803

Comment

Working...
                              X