Photo of Saturday's UNL finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo of Saturday's UNL finish?

Saw the photo from the timing camera, Shows Strega with about half a cowling lead. Figure if it was that close even the slightest angle from square to the Home Pylon could make it look radically different.

Any way you look at it that has to be one of the best races we have seen in the last 10+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post

Any way you look at it that has to be one of the best races we have seen in the last 10+ years.
      My feelings exactly - best race in the "unlimited" class in many years.

I am going to say, Tiger "will" be back next year!

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
        Was this already discussed or am I missing some jest regarding the photo linked?...It appears that the photo has been altered to move Strega in front...If you watch the Live Airshow TV video slow motion of the finish it's VooDoo that was in front by a nose as they pass the home pylon...I was there and near straight in front of the home pylon (and shot video) and though it was certainly hard to tell who won as it happened by naked eye, I still would have guessed VooDoo was slightly in front...Our vid also shows VooDoo was slightly in front...Not trying to take anything away from Tiger as that was a great show, but was just wondering about that linked pic....Is it Sept 2015 yet?
        They were so close that camera perspective makes all the difference in the world. I don't know whether the LiveAirshowTV camera was better in-line with the start/finish line than the camera that captured the linked picture where Strega appears to be in front or not. I would ASSume that the LiveAirshowTV guys very carefully aligned their camera with the line (I would have made double-dog certain had it been *my* job), so I tend to trust that angle. But really, their camera shows *inches* of difference, and within a matter of 4 or 5 frames, Strega moves ahead. THAT is how close it was- it just about doesn't matter who won. If Tiger hadn't killed the engine, they'd have started 1-2 either way.

Comment

The LASTV camera (for the shot in question) was positioned on the interview platform at the bottom of Section I between the reserved and GA stands which is east of the finish line/timing deck by around 200'+.
          Sky Critter

Comment

Look at the black seams in the runway, it appears that camera shot was taken about 10 feet left of the finish line, judging from the person standing on the edge of the runway..............by the way, what is that person doing there..............I also don't see the checkered flag in that pic either.
            Brian

Comment

I was a first time visitor from London, UK .. here are a series of pics taken from the grandstand, we were almost directly in line with the pylon, in row D. These are tiny resolution for posting here, the originals are off of a Nikon D800 and are 13 -16mb each, the prop is frozen but panning planes at 500mph plus would be tough .. Photoshop will blur the prop nicely

Looks from our vantage point that Strega got it but the official timing will be precise and a tiny bit of parallax would make any visual record unreliable.

I had wanted to come to Reno for years and am so glad I finally made it over.

Hope you like the pics .. they are cropped from full frame and are "optimised " in Window for emailing.

Bestest

Malcolm

[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	MSP_0423ac.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	227812Click image for larger version

Name:	MSP_0424ac.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	227813Click image for larger version

Name:	MSP_0425ac.jpg
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	227814Click image for larger version

Name:	MSP_0426ac.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	227815Click image for larger version

Name:	MSP_0427ac.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	227816

Originally posted by CanIFlyIt View Post
              Please tell me that somebody got a nice high-res photo of the Voodoo/Strega finish on Saturday. Please!

I would pay large money for that.

Comment

Great sequence. To me that was one great race and I was happy I was there.

Thanks for sharing

Theres a big opportunity here for RARA for next year. Let's hope they have the capability and foresight to play this out.

By the way - great first post.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-23-2014, 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                  By the way - great first post.

+1 Welcome to the board.

I'll send you a PM in a couple minutes.

Comment

I realized I had not shared this here, but this is a video clip of Saturday's tail camera footage from Voodoo, which shows Tiger's shadow in the final turn.

There is no need to login to Facebook to view it and be sure to click HD in the corner. Crew videographer (Jason S) is working on more vids that will be up on youtube,etc in the future.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by malcolm View Post
                      I was a first time visitor from London, UK .. here are a series of pics taken from the grandstand...

Hope you like the pics .. they are cropped from full frame and are "optimised " in Window for emailing.

Bestest

Malcolm

[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21118[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21119[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21120[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21121[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21122[/ATTACH]
                      Malcolm - I think your's is the best first time post ever. That's a great series of photos.

After the finish, I looked around and asked my gang, "Who won that?" No one was sure, but it seemed like Voodoo had to me. Now I'm not at all sure.

In any case, I think Tiger answered the doubts about his abilities in a big way. Tiger gave us one helluva show!

Comment

This pic is from the official timer / judges. Strega was in fact ahead at the finish line. Just an AWESOME race!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sat Offical Finish NCAR2014.jpg
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	227817

Comment

Closest race since Butch Bandi pulled the same move on JR!

Must be something about a red and white airplane....

Comment

Originally posted by Box A35 View Post
                            This pic is from the official timer / judges. Strega was in fact ahead at the finish line. Just an AWESOME race!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21124[/ATTACH]

Click image for larger version

Name:	strega_voodoo_battle_002.jpg
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	227820

Wasn't sitting at the finish line but that's what it looked like to me. I remember sitting in an airport on the way home last year and somebody telling me I would never see a close race like shown on the posters and so forth. So glad I got to see it.

Comment

Well, if nothing else, Strega was the faster racer that day.
                              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                                Well, if nothing else, Strega was the faster racer that day.
                                Brian
                                Yep, and a whole lot faster than last years Gold Race.

Comment

Working...
                                X