Wing Deformation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing Deformation

I just spent an hour trying to upload a copy of M. Luvara's pic #3 from his "Voodoo tail camera snapshots" thread, but I kept getting the same error message that I got years ago when I posted here regularly, saying that my quota has been exceeded.
    Oh well. Regardless, we just lost a dear friend to a wing failure that people saw clear signs of before he launched, and I can not phreaking accept the fact that most every one who matters here saw the same pic of Voodoo's wing during high G turn and NOBODY said anything at all about it in that thread or anywhere else.

Putting our latest spectacularly ugly and needless wing failure fatality aside for a moment (in which people who questioned the pilot where shined on that the wing was OK), remember that Sherman Smoot is not only alive and grateful for someone pointing out his wing's deformation a few years ago, but he is also competing better than ever.

That said, what the hell is wrong with those of us who see the same thing that I do, but remain silent? I for one can admit that I would not be here today if someone had not stepped up for my safety long ago. I don't believe for a heartbeat that Mr. Hinton is not aware of the problem that Voodoo's wing has during high G turns, and because of the fact that he is still campaigning the airplane, I am positive that he is no different than Lee Behel in that tragic respect.

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Notice not only the crushed airfoils behind the leading edges on both wings around 3/4 span, but also the oil-canning of the inboard left wing.

C.R.
    Carbon is groovy man...

Re: Wing Deformation

I see reflections of the ground and clouds...the Mustang wing is pretty stout.

Jim

Comment

Jim, I agree that that the Mustang wing is hellaciously stout, I spent a month studying engineering drawings of it about 6 years ago (it happened to be an H model that I was helping my mentor make jigs to replicate though), but regardless, I don't think it is a big stretch to ask you to put yourself in the seat that pilots occupied when Mustangs were operational, and realize that when they looked out on that wing and saw the airfoil crushing, and the high load bearing inboard upper skin oil-canning in the classic diagonal failure pattern, that they were extremely motivated to stop doing whatever G maneuvers that caused it pronto.

Look again, look closer.

C.R.
      Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Sorry bud but that is the wide angle lense messing with you.

Comment

Although I understand your passion to see things stay safe and go well this week, I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

I have no background in aircraft structures or engineering but if you look at Jason's video and knock it up to 720p.

All I see are shiny reflections. . .

HD Footage

Don

Comment

Wouldn't any deformation, crinkling, oil-canning, or whatever be plainly visible once they got it back in the pits?

I am inclined to agree with the previous poster that you are seeing things in the video that aren't there. Humans are very good at pattern matching but can easily see things. Just like that "face on Mars" a few years ago that was all over the internet.

Comment

I am not seeing it. Also don't forget that most of the time these Mustangs are below the VNE for the airframe.
              Random Air Blog

Comment

I see that the supposed "skin deformation" shows up during the level, or almost level flight, when it is flying with the pace plane. And does not shows during the turnings, when it really pulls g`s. I don`t think it´s happening so.
                Last edited by taglialavore; 09-13-2014, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X