announcers and basic math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: announcers and basic math

Every year, by Sunday night, I am crying "never again". Too hot, too cold, too tired, etc.
    Did I have a lot of the issues most of you did? Sure. Were there rules, methods, decisions that I wasn't in agreement with? Of course.
    Were prices higher, the announcers not-so-informed? Yep.
    After 38 years of going, however, I realize that those things happen EVERY year to some extent. Each year is different and each year surprises me in both good and bad ways.
    All I know is I saw some GREAT racing in all classes, probably the best in years. Sunday night when I crawled in bed I though "I am not doing this again next year. That was Sunday. It is now Wednesday and I am already Jonesing for next year...
    It's kinda like drinking. Once the hangover is done you are back for more.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
      It's kinda like drinking. Once the hangover is done you are back for more.
      I nominate this for the Quote of the Year, if the AAFO Message Board ever decides to have one.

Comment

Originally posted by 88SC View Post
        I nominate this for the Quote of the Year, if the AAFO Message Board ever decides to have one.
        I second that! I come to Reno every year, for 2-3 days, drink my face off, loose my ass at the tables, spend WAY TOO much money on beer, food, tickets, t-shirts, etc.., and I do it EVERY YEAR. I only look forward to two things a year; opening day of duck season, and race week in Reno. I have the best times of my life with my best friends and my brother. The announcers suck; so what. Unlimited field gets smaller every year, little to no military presence, rising ticket prices; to me, so what. Myself and the group of guys that meet here every year will still come, to watch what there is to watch, drink what there is to drink, and have the best time of our lives.
        "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

This thread seems to have gone from "we need new announcers" to "who cares how bad they are we still have fun". For me, the announcer problem is just one of many spokes in the wheel of problems with Reno that could be fixed relatively easy without spending more money to do it. Will the sucky announcers keep me from coming to Reno in the future - no. But getting more competent announcers would make it a little more enjoyable experience.

A final complaint about them this year has nothing to do with their lack of knowledge about the races or specific racers. It's about their lack of knowledge about our Country! Did anyone else notice Sunday morning when they were talking about the 200th anniversary they said our flag back then had 15 stars and stripes!!! I've never seen THAT flag before.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post

A final complaint about them this year has nothing to do with their lack of knowledge about the races or specific racers. It's about their lack of knowledge about our Country! Did anyone else notice Sunday morning when they were talking about the 200th anniversary they said our flag back then had 15 stars and stripes!!! I've never seen THAT flag before.

I don't want to be a wet blanket here but they did get that one right. The flag that was flying over Fort McHenry 200 years ago did indeed have 15 stars and 15 stripes. It's on display at the National Museum of American History. There is a photo of it in this months Air & Space Mag.
            "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
              I don't want to be a wet blanket here but they did get that one right. The flag that was flying over Fort McHenry 200 years ago did indeed have 15 stars and 15 stripes. It's on display at the National Museum of American History. There is a photo of it in this months Air & Space Mag.
              Good thing I wasn't announcing cuz I would've got it wrong! I knew we added stars to the flag as states were added and in 1812 we had 15 (57 of them now according to POTUS) - just didn't realize there was ever more than 13 stripes too. Thanx for the correction.

Comment

Challenges of Live Broadcast/Announcing

Tougher than it looks guys...
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I have selective hearing that comes in handy.

In Section 3 we really do not even hear the announcers, about the only thing I hear beyond our group's chatter/hollering are planes along with the likes of a F22. Of course cute beer girls and Bombshell hotties raise the noise level further :-)

When were out and about the venue, displays, beer line, vendors and pits, the announcers are just background noise.

It seems like they are constantly engaging the audience and it may well be less knowledgeable "general public w/kids" that just comes out for the races and the entertainment.

So in that sense they may be doing a good job.

Comment

Re: Challenges of Live Broadcast/Announcing

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    No doubt that it is a tough job to do well.

I liked your work this past week, Wayne, so your name crossed my mind as a potential replacement announcer.

Comment

Re: Challenges of Live Broadcast/Announcing

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      no doubt wayne, but basic fact checking is journalism 101.
                      bob burns
                      ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                      "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Steve has been around this stuff for a long time. It's fairly shocking he doesn't always know which planes are which and that a Sea Fury with 5 blades spinning backwards doesn't have a 3350 in it. I'd say the worst though is the "Take that NASCAR!" bit. Take what? They have millions of fans and a colossal TV contract. It makes him sound like a fool. Reno deserves better.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X