Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: announcers and basic math

Originally posted by badman View Post
    And when Argo took off last for the Sunday gold because of the engine starting problems, they stuck to the script and announced 924 was the Sanders' 3350 powered Argo (I know its a 2800) and then Argo was announced as the Sanders' other 3350 powered Sea Fury 924 (Bristol powered). Even if you're totally ignorant of the engine types in each plane, they do have really big numbers clearly visible on the fuselage of both planes - if you care to look at them.
    I was just done after this. Final straw, I consider it ignorance at the point where you can't even see (or care enough to see) the VISIBLE numbers on the side of the plane. Just wow!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by CanIFlyIt View Post
      It was hilarious watching the post-race show on Saturday...Jeff Lee (who's not too bad) was trying every way he could to tell him to shut up so he could talk and he was just jabbering away. Some news had come in over the headsets and Lee couldn't get a word in edgewise.

Watch it again...he tries to interrupt, points at himself with his pen, tries to interrupt again....funny stuff.
      You mean Mark Allen? I think Jeff Lee is on the production side. Hat's off to the Live Air Show TV crew!
      Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
        You mean Mark Allen? I think Jeff Lee is on the production side. Hat's off to the Live Air Show TV crew!
        You're right...Mark Allen.

Comment

My wife and I were in the stands listening to the narration for the Patriot Jet Team, by the guy that goes by "Striker", or something like that. Anyway, when he said that one of the L-39s was doing "air-uh-lon" rolls, I think we both vomited a bit in the back of our throats.

It is funny how frustrated I was that the power/sound went down during the early race morning on Sunday; however, once it was back up I was more frustrated just listening to the inaccurate drivel coming out of their mouths.

Sam
          Biplane Race #3

Comment

if they want to pay my expenses i will be happy to come out and be their tech fact guy. they need someone to put together the tech facts, check with the crews each day and find out if there is any pilot changes, things they want said, and what names the pilots want to use. I really think dont think that stewart enjoyed being called stewie all week. I understand that you want an announcer that has a good style and voice, but get them someone to feed them the right info.
            bob burns
            ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
            "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Or "Little Stevie" Hinton

He (Steve H.) seems pretty humble and probably doesn't even care .....it just sounds bad.....dis-respectful

Comment

After this week it is abundantly clear that RARA doesn't give a **** about the unlimited class. Im sure that if someone presented them with a plan that removed the unlimited's from the field and allowed them continue to leech the same amount of money from us they would do it in a heart beat. The continuing stream of drivel that comes out of the announcer's mouths is just more evidence of this.

Unlimited air racing is dead. In my book the final race was on Saturday and Tiger won it. Precious Metal took third.

After 30+ years of attending I think I am done. I cant stand watching something I care so much about get milked like a cash cow and have my loyalty as a fan taken for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                  After this week it is abundantly clear that RARA doesn't give a **** about the unlimited class. Im sure that if someone presented them with a plan that removed the unlimited's from the field and allowed them continue to leech the same amount of money from us they would do it in a heart beat. The continuing stream of drivel that comes out of the announcer's mouths is just more evidence of this.

Unlimited air racing is dead. In my book the final race was on Saturday and Tiger won it. Precious Metal took third.

After 30+ years of attending I think I am done. I cant stand watching something I care so much about get milked like a cash cow and have my loyalty as a fan taken for granted.
                  The part that killed it for me was only bringing up the first place winner to the podium after the race, as well as not letting the fans rush the planes, pilots, and crew. I hate to say it too but I feel like Unlimited racing isn't doing so hot anymore.
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Did they never open the ramp up at all after the race???? I figured they were just getting the media crap out of the way and then they would let people out there. If they never did then I am even more unimpressed.

Comment

Yeah, my group was so excited to go on the ramp! But no, another nail in the coffin! I think this was my last year……………
                      Brad
                      Windy Hill GA83

Comment

I'm all about complaining about the crappy announcers but as Wayne and many of the administrators on this site always say, AAFO is one of the ultimate sources of info that potential fans check to learn about the air races and saying that WE, the BEST race fans might not go to the races, might be our last year, might finally be done, might stop following the races, might stop making the trek to the high desert, etc etc, is plain wrong. Not to pick on any one of you in this thread specifically but I think saying that you might not go to the races anymore is BS. Keep that to yourself, nobody that wants to read about the GOOD reasons to go to the races wants to hear the loyal fans complain about our beloved sport.

I don't think one of the threads since Sunday afternoon has been in support of the races being good this year, maybe it had the intention of being good, such as the "Thanks Tiger" or whatever thread that is, but it turned into complaining about RARA and the FAA!!! I know that complaining is one of the best ways to get it fixed if you can't fix it yourself, but saying that the races are so bad and you're not coming is plain wrong.

Sorry just my .02 cents...
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

AMEN!!!!

"If you build it, they will come..........". If you refuse to go because you are offended by a few mistakes made by the announcer, they will cancel it. Then, you "Day Time Talk Show Hosts" will need to find a new topic to bi+ch about.

I challenge any of the "BS of Brodcasting" degree holders to take on that task. Be prepared to have "AAFO Critics" crosshairs aimed at your back.

Lets use Air Racing Forum for what it was intended for. Post pictures of the Unlimiteds for those who were unable to make it this year.

Steve Stavrakakis, GREAT JOB!!!! 1ST round is on me next year.

Comment

The emperor has no clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                              I don't think one of the threads since Sunday afternoon has been in support of the races being good this year, maybe it had the intention of being good, such as the "Thanks Tiger" or whatever thread that is, but it turned into complaining about RARA and the FAA!!! I know that complaining is one of the best ways to get it fixed if you can't fix it yourself, but saying that the races are so bad and you're not coming is plain wrong.

Sorry just my .02 cents...
                              Young man, not quite, there were several positive posts, I for one posted "What a great weekend - thank you all".

However only 389 views, and this post 3,000+ .

You know the story "drama" and "pissing match" posts always go farther than they should. It's a Internet thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                                Young man, not quite, there were several positive posts, I for one posted "What a great weekend - thank you all".

However only 389 views, and this post 3,000+ .

You know the story "drama" and "pissing match" posts always go farther than they should. It's a Internet thing.

I know there were a few of them in there but in general I felt a negative vibe through most of the posts. Getting the attention are the negative ones like you said.
                                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                                X